March 2, 2007

Happy Birthday Theodor Geisel!

A person's a person, no matter how small," Theodor Geisel, a.k.a. Dr. Seuss, would say. "Children want the same things we want. To laugh, to be challenged, to be entertained and delighted."

As I rolled out of bed this morning and looked out the windows, it was so foggy I couldn't see the trees that separate our yard from the farm behind us. It had rained (no, poured) all night long and the fog was just resting on the already snow-covered landscape. We had one errand to run and we were quickly back home. Since today is Dr. Seuss' birthday, I pulled our "collection" from the bookshelves in the playroom. We read some together and the children also enjoyed looking at them by themselves!

As we finished up reading, I noticed the clouds were breaking and I could see some blue sky peeking through. After lunch, the clouds were gone and it was a beautiful blue sky above. The temperatures had risen all week, and at lunchtime it was 53°. So we put on our snow boots and headed outside for some fun in the melting snow.
The children have come in, had snack and are tucked into bed. I'm washing our outside 'play clothes' and the rest of the laundry I let pile up this week.
I was tempted to hang some laundry outside, but the type of wash line I have fits into a pipe in the ground. It closes like an umbrella and I can store it in the garage. Sadly, I foudn the pipe to be filled with frozen snow. :( I guess I must be patient.

Some of the Dr. Suess books we were reading this morning were from my own childhood. My favorites were "Green Eggs and Ham" and "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish." What were your favorite Dr. Suess books? Is there one you enjoyed having read to you, or reading yourself, or reading with your children?

11 comments:

Lori said...

Those are exact favorite Dr. Seuss books too. I asked my son and those are the two he named off.
I'm off to grab a book and a blanket right about now.

Check out my site for pics of our blizzard.


Enjoy your day!

Just Mom said...

"Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You?"

"One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish"

"Hop On Pop."

and of course "The Cat In The Hat."

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Dr Seuss books!!!!! Those were my favorites when I was a kid and I loved reading them to my son, Rocko when he was little. I gave them away to my nephew now though and he loves them too!

Candy :)
p.s...glad you liked my prayer basket :)

Heather K said...

Hi
way to go homeschooling!! You'll never regret it! I did it for six years and am so glad I did. I'm considering doing it again. My four kids are all in school and have been for the last two years, but are begging me to bring them home to school again. Hmmm.... I'm considering it....
My and my kids favourite Dr. Seuss book is "Are You My Mother?"
Still love it but haven't read it for a few years... should pull it out and read it to my 8 yr. old again... she still loves it!
Heather

Anonymous said...

Everytime my kids were sick, which seemed to be often, we read Green Eggs and Ham at the pediatricians office. I loved the book, but my girls grew to hate it. I can understand why. Sounds like you had a fun day. Mine...not so fun, not really worth recounting today. Hope tomorrow is better, hmmmm. I think it's time for some cheesecake.

Sandy said...

I don't really remember reading any Dr. Seuss books when I was small :-( Maybe I did but I can't remember so I must not have liked any very much!

Right now our favorite books are Nemo and Elmo....the one's that play sounds as you read.

Maybe I'll just have to give Dr. Seuss another try!

Susan said...

Glad you got to see the sun and 53 degrees - pretty good for early March.

Anonymous said...

They look like they were having a blast! I have never been in snow like that. If it is 53 degrees here people bundle up like its 53 below zero.
I remember green eggs and ham the most. But now I like Cat in the hat.
Did you say you make blankets? I was wondering if you knew of a good place to buy fabric. Online or in a store. I was looking at Michael Miller fabric online but wasn't sure where to find the best deal.
Thanks,
Sheri

Lori said...

P.S. I was going to tell you I love all those photos.

weavermom said...

I love that her book is upside-down! How cute! :)

My favorite as a child was Green Eggs & Ham.

Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads said...

What a fun day! I'm hanging my head in shame as I forgot all about Dr. Seuss' birthday. :(