March 12, 2007

“Bad Mommy of the Year”

Here is my nomination for this title. I am certain there are many other moments in my children’s lives that could qualify me for this title. I don't believe there is such a contest to enter to earn this title, but I thought it made for a good post caption. Here is my most recent Bad Mommy Moment.

Friday evening, we were planning to eat supper at a restaurant. When T arrived home from work, he headed upstairs to take a shower (stone dust tends to make you rather dirty). Our daughter, E, followed him upstairs. She often plays in our bedroom while we are in the bathroom.

I was down on the computer checking on my favorite blogs and I heard her start crying, followed by T yelling for me.

I ran upstairs and found blood on her face. At first I wasn’t sure what had happened, the mommy instinct kicked in and I grabbed a washcloth and started applying pressure. The blood was coming from her upper lip.

I began to search the room for signs to tell me what she did. We have a whirlpool tub separate from our shower, and the tile around it is elevated off the floor. I thought maybe she had climbed up there and fallen.

As she started to calm down, I asked her what happened. She looked at me, and said, “Daddy” and put her index finger to her check and imitated Daddy shaving his face. I gasped! I looked at the drawer where Daddy keeps his razor and there was blood on the front of it. My heart sank. Daddy has one of those razors with 4 blades. Oh my, it could have been so much worse. I am so thankful it was just her upper lip and not her fingers, or eyes, or I don’t know what else. I praise God for His watch and His care over her. And I pray that I will be more alert to my children’s whereabouts.
Thank You, Lord, for Your many promises of protection. “I will both lie down in peace, and sleep; for You alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.” Psalm 4:8






18 comments:

Lori said...

Oh poor thing. Please don't feel bad. I'm glad your daughter is ok and not hurt too terribly.

Kids don't realize things like that can hurt them. Accidents happen so fast. I know I've beat myself up over a few of ours too.
Derek slipped in the bath tub while trying to get around Megan. HE cracked his chin on the tub and split his chin wide open. We had to go to the emergency room for that. He as well as Megan have had a few other spills and accidents such as touching a hot pan and etc.

weavermom said...

I say "Welcome to the club!" SnugBug has gotten one of my razors before as well - although no cuts thankfully.

And further proof you are not alone: http://musingsofahousewife.typepad.com/musings_of_a_housewife/2007/03/and_the_mother_.html

Are you sure that it is worse than whacking your son with the vacuum cleaner so that he needs stitches?? I'm thinking you don't even win the worst Mommy of the weekend award. :)

Glad she is ok! ((hugs))

weavermom said...

Let's try that link again:
http://musingsofahousewife.typepad.com/
musings_of_a_housewife/2007/03/
and_the_mother_.html

Momma Roar said...

Ok, weavermom, her daughter was playing with a razor that had its cap on :(
And, hey, the award is all yours :) he he

Anonymous said...

That was so cute, the poor little sweetheart.

I too am in the "bad Mama club"

One time when my son was just learning to pull himself up, It was near Christmas time and I had a small tree on top of our large radio. And the sweet baby wanted it, started to climb the speaker and it fell on him, he fell back and hit his head on something hard and got a big gash. I had to call my husband home from work and we went to the E.R. he had to get one staple to close the gash.

Learned from that mistake I did. As we all do. Don't be to hard on yourself.

Musings of a Housewife said...

O my gosh! How awfully scary. I'm glad it was so minor.

Just Mom said...

Not that I want to take away your title, but how about not putting up a safety gate near the stairs? Alex has fallen down the basement steps of our former house twice (both times I decided to take down the gate because I had "quick" errands to do in the basement utility room), and down the open staircase of our new home once (I figured at four years old he would be OK).

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you had this awful experience. I've been there, too with my little ones. Usually it was my little one cutting something off the cat, though :)

PS LOVED the running away from home story on Just Mom's blog, it cracked me up, too funny!

Kari said...

My daughter fell down the steps once too. She had just started crawling, and I turned away "for a second" to answer the phone. I turned back just in time to watch her roll down the steps. Thankfully she only went down four of them and stopped at the landing. I felt like such a bad mom too. I guess the good thing is she was too little to remember it.

Susan said...

It's just part of being mom isn't it. Thankful it wasn't any worse. The picture of her, with those big chocolate eyes is what wins the prize. Beautiful.

~ Amy ~ said...

My girl did the same thing but you could see the two lines from the blades much easier. The worst part about kids getting injuries like that is when someone asks "what happened". That's when the guilt comes.

Teresa said...

This is why we pray over our kids daily. So glad your little sweetie is okay.

Sandy said...

Awww poor little thing! I'm glad she is ok as it could have been alot worse. Sometimes things happen and there is probably much more to come so don't beat yourself up over it!!

Heidi Jo Comes said...

Please, that Bad Mommy hat better be big enough for my large head! I think you only qualify when you've actually heard these words, "you a bad mommy!"

Which I have.

Anonymous said...

aww, sorry to hear this :(
Im glad shes ok though.
how super-cute is she though!!!! love the big brown eyes :)

big hugs to her!!

TO BECOME said...

I think that during our life as a mother some times these things happen but they sure are hard on us.Thank God for always watching over us and stepping in where we need him not even knowing that a certain situation will arise. Our God is a great God!! I am sure happy that it was not any worse that it was. Connie from Texas

Thanks for sharing that with all of us.

Anna said...

Oh, Honey! Isn't it awful? I too have earned the title. Just last week I thought my 18mo. old was waking up just to be difficult (more milk, cuddles, etc.) so I let her be. An hour later she started up again. I finally went in there and she had thrown up everywhere. I had made her go back to sleep in her own vomit! Ahhhhh! I felt so wretched as I was bathing the poor, sick little thing.

Like you said...I am so glad God is watching over.

(PS--Your daughter is very cute!)

Lisa H said...

My little 2 year old just did the same thing this weekend! While I was taking a shower he reached into daddy's (off-limits) drawer, pulled out the razor and sliced open his thumb. I could see two distinct little slices.

I had quite a time calming him down, stopping the bleeding, explaining to my other son that everything was fine--all with shampoo dripping down my back! :)

You're not a bad mommy! Or if you are, then we all are too!