March 22, 2007

A Few of My Favorite Things...Part 2

Here are the quilted projects my mother made for the children. In the baby's room is this wall hanging. She made it to match the border we had in our nursery at our previous house. Below is a picture of our oldest, with the wallpaper border in the picture. Sorry, this was the only picture I could find with the border on it :) But I wanted you to see how she used the animals to make a pattern to make the above wall hanging.
Below is our daughter's room. I currently have the quilt folded and resting on the blanket chest in her room. I think I would like Mom to add a sleeve on the back so that we can hang it to the right of her bed - like her big brother's quilt.
I just think she has a great eye for color. When I make things my colors are too similar and the project ends up being rather bland looking. Now, I take my mom to the fabric store with me. And since I don't quilt, she offers to do that for me. I don't have the patience to sit and make the tiny stitches - plus, the few times I tried they didn't even look nice and even.And, last, this is the room of our oldest. I love this wall hanging. I love its colors! This is how I want to hang our daughter's in her room.I just wanted to share some of the things here that make me smile when I see them.
Have a great day!

19 comments:

Just Mom said...

Again, those are very beautiful quilts. I can see why they make you smile.

I have one question, though. How do you hang up the quilts? I have a few I've been wanting to hang.

Momma Roar said...

JM, my mom sews on a 'hanging sleeve' to the top of the quilt back. It is a pouch that is almost the entire length of the quilt. The sailboat quilt was is hanging on a curtain rod. The other wall hangings have a dowel rod through the sleeve that rests on two nails in the wall. I have a book that shows directions for adding this sleeve, but you could probably find directions on the internet too. This would be something you can make without a sewing machine. I hope this helps!

weavermom said...

They are beautiful!

Lori said...

Oh my gosh. All those quilts are just beautiful.
I wish I knew how to quilt.
All 3) of your kids rooms look very nice.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Wish my mom-in-law had the color taste that your quilts have. A lady I work with makes a baby quilt for each grandchild and hers are fantastic just like yours!

Anonymous said...

Soooo nice!!! I like the picture too :)
Hugs
Candy

Anonymous said...

I was talking about the picture in the last post of the quilts...I LOVE it!

Susan said...

Such beautiful things and how very blessed you are to have them. I love the hanging quilt. I know a lot of people fold the quilt and place them on a qulit rack.

Sandy said...

They really are so beautiful. I wish I had a talent in making these :-( I tried crocheting once or twice but my stuff didn't turn out that great. I'd love to have a knack in making something!

Anonymous said...

There is a lot of talent in your family. All the quilted things was just beautiful.

Teresa said...

What great keepsakes for your children. Homemade gifts are priceless!

Susie said...

These are gorgeous quilts. My husband's grandmother has made so many quilts, but now that she is 92, her eyes don't allow it. Your mother is very talented. I love the colors too!

Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads said...

Those are beautiful. Your mom is so talented. And you're right, she does have an eye for color.

Julieann said...

All your quilts are just beautiful!!! Your mom is very talented!! I want to learn to quilt so bad--it is on my list:) The baby picture is adorable---too cute.

Julieann:)

Susan said...

What treasures!! I love it that you are keeping them AND recording why they are so special. God bless you all.

:-) Susan

Anonymous said...

Hello there, this is my first time on your blog. How sweet are those quilts. What a wonderful heirloom for your daughter when she is older. I have a quilt my Great-Grandmother made in the 60's. I just love it, and it is one of my favorite belongings.

I just have a thing for quilts!

Anyways, thank you for the sweet look into your life.

Many Blessings

Trella said...

I love all your quilts. They are beautiful.

I wish I could quilt:) Maybe one day I will get the courage.

Have a blessed day,
Trella

Christy said...

WOW your mother is so talented!! I love, love, LOVE the colors :)

Angelena said...

Beautiful quilts!!

MrsA
http://countrylifejourney.typepad.com/