
Today is Show & Tell at Kelli's House. Click on the above button to go to her place where you can see the rest of those joining in on the fun. If you haven't done one yet, think about sharing next Friday!
I'd like to show you and tell you about this clock. T and I had always wanted one for our foyer but just weren't ready to invest in one. Along comes my neighbor's garage sale last year. Yes, I said garage sale.
Our neighbors across the street and a few houses up were moving to NC because of work. I walked up the morning of the sale just to see what was there. I was just picturing the little trinket things you normally find thinking they wanted to sell some of the little things they cleaned out. I was right, the books, small pictures, odds and ends items were outside on their porch. Ready to head home, I realized there was a sign on the sliding door - More Inside. OK, I thought, so I headed in. Here, they were selling much of their furniture: a leather sofa, an entertainment center with a huge TV. They were a couple with two grown daughters and didn't want to take everything down in a moving truck. Good for them - better for us!
I found a table that I fell in love with first - it fits perfectly outside of our bedroom, in an odd shaped nook that we have. I called T to let him know what I found and he gave me the go ahead to purchase it - along with a lamp that was something I wouldn't have bought off the shelf, but since it was a great deal, I bought it for the creative and interesting look it offered.
T came home over lunch to pick up the table and bring it home in his truck. Behind the table, in their hallway, was this clock. I had seen it too and wanted him to see it - but I didn't mention it - I sent him to pick up the table even though I could have brought the table home in my van (I was pregnant with Colin at the time and being the gentleman that he is, he wouldn't have let me bring it home anyway), and I wanted him to see the clock. He brought the table home and asked me if I had seen the clock.
It was the clock we both pictured in our heads when we spoke of one. Nothing but round features and a simple face. Simple elegance.Well, I headed back up later that day to see if it was sold and I breathed a big sigh of relief when it was still there. I told them we'd be back the next day to pick it up.
We brought it home and love the way it looks in the foyer!But, this is not the end of the story. A week or two later, I needed to call these neighbors to find out if she was still selling one of her chairs - a friend had been in and seen it. I was sitting in the den when I decided to call. But instead of getting up and grabbing the phone book, I decided to go*og*le their names to find their phone number.
It was easy to find, but the search brought up a genealogy hit (meaning, someone in their family was recording their family history online). So, being the good nosey Brethren woman that I am - I clicked on it. Found her name, her hubby and her kids....clicked on her mom's name...WHAT? Her mom and I shared the same maiden name.....clicked on further and my neighbor's grandfather and my grandfather were brothers! What in the world? Why hadn't I met this family member before? I called her up to discuss the chair and I wasn't sure about discussing my recent findings for the fear of coming across a tad nosey - but I did. She was thrilled (and didn't think I was being nosey, lol). Her mom was still there so she began asking her questions, too. It turns out that my grandfather was either the oldest or second oldest and her grandfather was the youngest - so with the distance, neither brothers' families were close. Her mom remembered my grandfather though and said he was her favorite uncle - always so fun to be around. This was so nice to hear because my grandfather passed away around the time of my birth.I have no cousins - my parent's siblings married, but never had any children. So believe me, when I tell you that when I find out I have a second cousin - I AM THRILLED. As I was still talking to my second cousin - she said, "You know what? I'm thrilled you go the clock - I loved that clock - and I always wanted it to stay in the family. And, now it has!"
(`'•.¸(`'•.¸¸.•'´)¸.•'´)
*:-:¦: Leigh Ann :¦:-:*
(¸.•'`(¸.•'´`'•.¸)`'•.¸)
50 comments:
What a neat story. The clock and table are beautiful, but the fact that you found a second cousin is even neater. Thanks for sharing your story.
Oh Leigh Ann what a wonderful show and tell and what a wonderful story. Boy, God blessed you above and beyone didn't He? He always does!!!! By the way, do you still keep in touch with her?
Susan
Leigh Ann,
That gives me chills! Wow! To find family had been just down the street! Do you still keep in touch with her?
And what lovely treasures to boot! Your homes looks beautiful!
Susan and Tracy - We don't keep in contact - they left so quickly after that. I had even told her to stop down before they left so she could see it in our house, but she didn't. I hope to meet up again with her sometime - or at least I hope to bump into her mom around town.
The other funny thing was that she and I were married just 2 weeks apart - it was her second marriage and they married exactly 2 weeks before us.
Oh my goodness, Leigh Ann, I was oohing and ahhing your beautiful clock, and then I got down to the heart of your story. That is amazing. It gives me goosebumps. I can't wait to tell my sister about this! What a blessing.
What a cool story! The clock is gorgeous, and the table looks great in that nook! And, to find a second cousin like that...such a small world!!
Thanks for sharing. I loved reading this story!
That is such a neat story! What a special treasure for your house, and an even more special treasure for your family!
Now that is an amazing story and set of circumstances! The clock is great and the table is, too. Blessings on you finds...furniture and family!
What a great story! I agree - I got goosebumps too. :)
And the clock is beautiful. I can totally see why you liked it.
Okay, Leigh Ann! I didn't think SHow and Tell was supposed to make ya tear up, LOL. What a beautiful and heartwarming story! You need to call Oprah, LOL!! So, are you going to stay in touch with her since she *is* family?
How fun was that day??? You found more treasures than you ever bargained for. Good for you.
Love that clock.
Take care,
Connie
Love that clock and table too.
That is a neat story!
How cool to find out you have a second cousin.
That is incredible! What an amazing story. I actually got chills reading it!
Leigh Ann, what an AMAZING story!! And, the clock is very elegant and beautiful! God has such good things in store for his kids, huh?!
I looove the clock! Simple yet grand! Something neat to keep in your family, and what a cool story behind it. I love your house =)
Monica
what a cool story and a beautiful clock! I love the table and lamp too. I love garage sales.
What a cool story!
that is one of the coolest stories i've ever heard. the best "it's a small world" story. i love genealogy stuff.
and both the table and clock look beautiful. i'd love to have a clock like that, too. i'm sure you enjoy both pieces.
thanks for sharing.
WOW... what a great story that is. I am glad you got nosey that day. I actually got tears in my eyes.
That's an awesome story! We don't have garage sales like that in SD! Plus, everyone in my town already knows that we are related! LOL
Leigh Ann, that was the BEST story! It gave me goosebumps. :0) The clock is beautiful, it looks perfect in your foyer and how wonderful to have found long lost family members...a true blessing from God!!
Kelli
Have been visiting your site for a week now. What a wonderful story and beautiful clock!
Now that is a neat story! Not only did you find new family members but really neat finds for your house, too. I love your clock, table and lamp. All three are great!
What an interesting story to go with your beautiful "garage sale" finds!
Finding a family member is an even greater treasure!
:)
What a neat story! And a beautiful clock! My grandmother had a grandmother's clock (a smaller version of a grandfather clock) that I was to inherit. Unfortunately, she passed away and everything was sold at an auction. Fortunately, though, my mom bought the clock so I'll get it someday.
I live in PA, too, and have a December (on the 20th) birthday! I read that two of your kiddos have Dec. birthdays. Plus, my mom's is the 5th, parent's anniv. is the 15th, dad's is the 16th, and my brother's is the 18th!
I also plan to try your Ham & Cheese Pie recipe soon! It looks and sounds y-u-m-m-y!
If I have time, I'll post a Show -n- Tell Friday post later today. I need to do my drawing for the Dog Days of Summer giveaway, so c'mon over and enter that if you haven't. Plus, my oldest nephew (10) and my best friend's two boys (8 and 7) are coming to spend the night tonight, so I'll be a little busy!
~Jada
P.S. Because I was a Dec. baby, my mom wanted to name me Johnna Noel! I'm glad she picked Jada over Johnna!
I love that you found a relative in such a manner. I love this more than the clock.
What an incredible story!!!!!
I LOVE the clock...grandfather clocks add so much character to a room...and I'm so inspired by your story of finding your relatives! We have some, including an adopted nephew who kind of disappeared from the picture after the adoption, that we're looking for. I pray we'll find them some day!
Incredible story and I love the clock and the table. I want the table...did I just say that? Sorry, I'm not jealous at all :)
You are so blessed and I'm thrilled for your finds. Hey, I love your wall color, too!!! It's the same as my bedroom :)
Time to get back to work. Let me know when you are lonely at night we will chat :) How did the pizza box taste? Oh, I leave Tuesday...
What a wonderful, wonderful story! the clock and other things are great finds, but to have found relatives in the bargain -- just amazing!!
Very pretty clock and table. Sounds like you got alot more than you bargained for at the garage sale. Those are my kind of rummages. :)
Very cool story!
Popping in to say HI!
Vanessa
Love this story and the clock is beautiful. What a treasure and bonus for you!!
What a wonderful story...and a beautiful clock.
You won, come see.
♥♥♥♥
annie
My Life as Annie!
Great story! Great furniture! I love garage sales!
K
Okay, that is just about as awesome as it gets!! Now the clock stayed in the family - so cool!! You can say it's a family heirloom. Ha, ha!
Ok - first, they are gorgeous...as it your hallway paint color :)
Second, that is just a GREAT GREAT story. How awesome is that!!
Thanks for sharing...now you have made show and tell a bit intimitading...I mean, who has that kind of story around things? ha ha!
I am amazed! That is one awesome story! The clock is gorgeous, I like the pretty table and lamp, but Ijust can't get over the story!!!
You have a dog?
Great story!!
God just keeps on surprising me with His goodness to His children!
What a great story! I think the clock is very elegant and looks like it was made for your foyer. I know you enjoy having it in your home/
Leigh Ann, that is the sweetest story. I am so happy for you. It is a wonderful thing to find a family member. I don't think we can ever have enough. I am glad the clock stayed in the family, too. connie from Texas
What a wonderful story, Leigh Ann! I love both pieces of furniture that you picture here.
:-) Susan
Leigh Ann,the end of your story gives me the heebie-jeebies. How wonderful it is to have found members of your family! What a pity that they moved away!
And by the way, that clock as well as the little table with the lamp are very nice and according to the photos, they perfectly fit into your cosy home! Thanks for sharing!
Best wishes from Germany, Anita
What a neat way to find a cousin! I'm nosy when it comes to family history, too. Great clock!
Oh man I want that clock too!!!
Well, that was meant to be! How wonderful to find such valuable items--a clock you wanted and a second cousin all in one day!
That is one great clock! How special that you were to find a relative...it was meant to be!
I loved that clock before I read the story behind it! Now it has even greater beauty. How wonderful!
Post a Comment