I have, no seriously, I have. The other weekend, the Hall*mark stores had their Orname*nt
Premie*re weekend. Ever since I was a little girl, I've gotten an ornament from Hall*mark. My aunt started it in 1983 - she got one for me, my sister and my brother. When she stopped, my mom continued the tradition. And now, with my own family, I am keeping it going. Not only do I get them for my children, but my sister's son and my brother's two children as well.I remember how excited I was the first Christmas T and I were married, to have ornaments
for the tree. I was so excited that as a newlywed, we had a tree with decorations - and they all had such fun memories with them. My siblings and I always looked forward to finding out what our new ornament would be - the colors, the expressions. As I put each one on the tree that first winter, I looked at the boxes and remembered how they got bent or twisted while putting them on our family tree and how my dad took a huge magic marker and put our names on our boxes. They added so much to our tiny tree that already adorned the handmade ornaments T and I had made while growing up.So, back to the other weekend, a sweet friend of mine, Sharon, was given two coupons for the weekend event - she graciously shared one with me and I was able to purchase all my ornaments with a nice big discount! Thank you Sharon!!
Last year, Colin was due at the beginning of December - so I was finished shopping in the middle of November - and two years prior to that - I was having Elle - so I finished early that year too. I enjoyed Christmas with the kids SO MUCH MORE by being finished early!
So, now that I've started, I think I will pull out my list and start searching for ideas for my family. Now is the time to start paying attention and listening to little comments that might give you an idea for the perfect gift! Go for it - you'll be happy you started early!
How do you shop for Christmas? Do you buy on ahead, or do you wait until the last minute?
(`'•.¸(`'•.¸¸.•'´)¸.•'´)
*:-:¦: Leigh Ann :¦:-:*
(¸.•'`(¸.•'´`'•.¸)`'•.¸)
31 comments:
I always start early too.
If I find something that is on a great sale I pick it up and put it up in the closet.
A store was having a bunch of their summer items clearanced out - 50% off. So I stocked up and bought a few items for birthday gifts. One set was a nature type set for hunting bugs and the like. The other set was things like sidewalk chalk, jump rope, and etc.
I've always been a buy it ahead shopper. Have you ever bought things and put them back and forgotten about them? I've even done that a few times!!!! I hate last minute shopping of any kind.
Susan
I pick up an ornament for my kiddos every year to at Hal*mark.. so fun... it's a great tradition. I've even considered making a simple scrapbook with a picture of each ornament and it's story... I'll do that in my "free" time... (ha!) ~ kim
Ohhh...Christmas ornaments are so special. My husband and I got married in December, and we had this huge Christmas tree at our reception that had handmade ornaments all over it with our names and wedding date...we gave those away as our favors. Christmas will always be my favorite time of year!
Thanks for the reminder that it's coming...I'm excited now! :)
UGH! Are you serious? I shop after Thanksgiving and I don't really care to even talk about it before then. I'm only into Christmas for the Holy part of Christmas. Just wait, you will find you will not like me so well come holiday time. Don't say I didn't warn you. I do not like Christmas. Maybe you can help me overcome this. UGH...
I always have good intentions to start early. I hate the rush of Christmas. This year I want to be done by Thanksgiving. I did pick up the kids' ornaments already. I do the same as you. I don't always get them at HAllmark but I try to find one that is something they did that year. This year they are getting Pebbles Flintstone and Bam Bam Rubble. I got them when we went to the hills and visited the Flintstones. I thought it was perfect!
You are so organized, you make me ill. STOP IT!
All kidding aside, we have such a small family that it really doesn't take me that long to shop. Also, my family and Dan's family live in other states, so we all just exchange gift cards. I know it takes the fun out of shopping for the "perfect gift," but it sure is easy because I can shop from home.
BTW, Ginger -- For some reason the following ran through my head as I read your comments: "You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch......" ;-D
I love the story of the ornaments. My family and I love to sit around and talk about the ornaments. It takes us back to a special holiday or memory.
I do not collect Hallmark ornaments, but my sister does. Every year the kids make an ornament and we buy one new one per kid each year. I wanted the children to be able to move out and still have our memories to blend with their new ones that they will make.
When my kids were little, I had shopping all done by September(and I make them one gift every year...which I usually finish by 1 december) but now that the kids are older it is different.
I love this post. Makes me love you even more...you are a wonderful mom, and your children will have special memories thanks to you!!!
Oh, I love your style!!! Avery was due on January 18, 2001 and so that year I did all my shopping early and I loved it!
I already have a few presents, in fact I bought them last night. We exchange books with all the cousins and I go to Borders and check out their bargain section. You can get great hardback books for $5.99!
Since Christmas 2000 I always have all my shopping, wrapping, decorating and Christmas cards done by December 1. Then I have time to bake and enjoy the season.
I don't ask people what they want for gifts. I like to buy presents for people of things that they wouldn't buy for themselves; "luxury things". Like, a gift cert for a massage, Starbucks gift cert, a plush robe, a magazine subscribtion, a book, etc....
I also buy my kids an ornament every year. I isn't allways Hallmark but is an ornament that reflects what they were into that year. I have lots of ornaments from growing up and I love to see what character or activity I was into from my ornament.
I LOVE Christmas, especially because it is Jesus' Birthday!
I am one of those that waits until the last minute! I might have to try to start a little earlier this year (you make it sound so much better then the rush rush of waiting till the last minute) :)!!
My parents usually give us kids Christmas ornaments each Christmas too. Jeff and I started giving my parents Christmas ornaments every year too because their tree got a little bare when us kids moved out and took our ornaments with us :)!
Thanks for the reminder that Christmas is only 5 months away!! I better get started if I plan to change my ways and not be one of those "last minute shoppers"..he he!
Have a GREAT day!!
Erin
stocking and stocking stuffers are big in my family. so i am looking all year round for small, quality 'stuffers.' i usually get them all before the holidays hit.
i try to get the other gift early, too. but it always seems like i'm dealing with the rush. but i kinda like it - that's christmas.
i love ornaments. i have too many for my trees. my kids also have their own boxes. they have mostly got the ornaments from their grandparents, but i've boought them a few too.
it's been fun thinking about christmas in july - when it's so hot. thanks.
Yes! Yes! My grandparents alwasys bought ornaments for me when I was little. I love getting those ornaments out each Christmas, they bring back so many memories.
They've continue on with the tradition with my girls.
I always start early too. Not quite this early, but it won't be long. we have 5 birthdays between October 16 and December 11, plus Thanksgiving. If I don't do my Christmas shopping early, it's very stressful.
We collect those ornaments too. The year my kids were born, we chose a new series. Madeline collects those rocking horses you had pictures of. I love having ornaments that mean something to each of us and look forward to pulling them all out at Christmas....especially the pregnant ones from the years I was expecting!
But wow! I can't believe it's only 5 months away! As soon as my husband gets his bonus check (any day now), I'm going to get started. I vow not to have another year like last year of last minute, mad rush shopping!
Do you reall want to know? I am almost done. I actually start the day AFTER Christmas of the prior year grabbing deals. Some people I have to wait to buy for, but others I can get done EARLY.
I have to wait for the kiddos to see what is on their "list" as it gets closer, but I get the stockings done before summer ends.
We do the ornament thing too - it is such a great tradtion. My mom did it for us and presented us with our ornaments at a dinner as we were preparing to move out of the house - we hope to do much the same.
Each year we get one for each kid; and one to represent our family that I get to keep. When we travel, we grab an ornament to represent our trip - anything from a coaster at a resturant to a real one.
Hmm..I usually start shopping in October.
I love Christmas, too. I usually don't start too early because then I end up over-buying (whoops!). The ornaments are a special thing in our house too. The GP's always get the kids one. My Hubs used to get ones from his GP's and they were HILARIOUS! It was as if he hadn't aged past 5 years old. Thanks for the heads up on one of my favorite holidays!
K
1 to 2 months before with the internet.
Our daughter's birthday is in December, so part of her day is putting up the tree and the gifts under it. She being the birthday girl always puts on the star.
And when her birthday comes around I've nothing to do but enjoy her day with her. Cake, ice-cream and her gift. All a week before Christmas.
I love christmas, but I don't shop particularly early unless something just jumps out at me. We do A LOT of online shopping. Lee gets into it as much as I do. We have been almost silly with it some years.
I love the decorations of Christmas more than the shopping. Having been and educator for half my life I have collected a lot of Christmas items--and we also have had a tradition of buying ornaments on trips. To me putting up the trees, the Christmas village, the santas, and especially the nativities is one of the highlights of Christmas!
But it is too early for me now!
I always say I'm gonna buy all year. It never happens. I usually start around October. I'm not real fond of the commercialized holiday. I wish we could all just skip the gift giving and enjoy the spirit of the season. I grew up in my mom's Christmas store ALL my life and I'm worn out from that aspect.
I like the idea of giving an ornament to each child. I'll have to start doing that! I like to start shopping for stocking stuffers,etc before Christmas. I have picked up a few items already. I like to be done by November.
***giggle*** I've actually been Christmas shopping for Munchkin this week since she has VBS. I'm not sure how much time I'll have to shop without her since Daddy will be gone. I love shopping early anyway. ;)
I do both, some thing I buy ahead and others I buy last minute. R DD10yo is making a bunch of homemade Christmas presents for everyone now! She is 10 times more organized than me, she gets it from DH!
God Bless,
Amber
Guess we now know where I fall in this catagory.
Everyone needs a loser friend to love at Christmas, right :)
...just send presents!
I haven't started shopping yet but I did start a list for the kids....everyone always calls me to get ideas so I like to get a list started early.
My mother-in-law buys the grandkids a new ornament every year too!
I start early, but not this early! I'm afraid I would forget about it if I bought it now. Good for you..being so organized and everythng. My problem is I never know what to get people.
I said I was going to start early this year and I guess with only 5 months to go I should get started! Yikes!!
Kelli
I'm not even going to read what the other people have to say. I'm here to get to the point.
Have you gone crazy?
Whew, I feel so much better. :)
This was a perfectly timed post because I bought my first 2 Christmas gifts today!! LOL!! I like to be done with the bulk by Thanksgiving. If I don't have the major stuff done by then I start to panic. However, the little things keep me hopping until Christmas Eve. My kids' birthdays are all finished in September, so I really start focusing on Christmas as soon as the birthdays are done.
I always INTEND on starting early but never seem to get it all DONE before the holiday quickly approaches.
I am still pretty sad that summer is almost over!
THANK YOU THANK YOU for the wonderful conversation tonight! You made me SMILE after a L O N G couple of days!
I love your sight!! Its so cute!
I have a list of things to get for the holidays but have yet to purchase anything. Everytime I buy something early dh uses it as bribery for the kids or ends up giving it to them for some reason. I need to find somewhere to hide things from him! LOL!!
Post a Comment