July 17, 2007

Hold your baby

When Quintin was first born, I remember so many people telling me to just enjoy holding him. I got so tired of hearing that because I felt like that was all I did.

Now, all I want to do is hold Colin - and sometimes I feel like the day just slips by; I put him to bed at night and feel like I didn't hold him all day.

Today I'm taking the children for their pictures. Since they all had a birthday last month (5, 2.5 and 6 months), its time for pictures. I love having them get their pictures taken - it just shows how much they've grown. Tomorrow I hope to have a new blog header at the top of the page, they've changed so much since those pictures were taken. The picture of Quintin at the top of the blog is over a year old. But what happened in that year?

All this has me thinking about time - am I spending my time with the kids wisely? Am I wishing time away? Sometimes I just wish that a certain 'stage' will pass by quickly and they'll grow into the next stage - I have it in my mind that the next stage will be better. But, that stage will just come with its own difficulties. I'm trying desperately to enjoy my children in each stage they are at - sometimes it is very easy to enjoy them, sometimes, not so easy. (Can I hear an amen?)

With Colin, I'm in serious denial. I'm not ready for him to move on to the next stage. He is our last baby, no more (unless something miraculous happens in my body. TMI? sorry.) He'll soon be sitting up, then crawling - I about cried when his two bottom teeth came in. It happens so fast.

You know what? I wish I would have known then (when Quintin was a baby) what I know now (not a whole lot more) because I think I could have enjoyed him so much more - rather than worrying all the time if he was getting enough sleep, to drink, etc. Was he getting enough mommy/daddy time?

I'm not sure where this is going - just feeling sentimental with their pictures today, I guess.

So, I'll put an end to my sentimentality and ask: Can anyone tell me how to stop time? And, is 'sentimentality' a word? (must be, it didn't come up when I did spellcheck!)


(`'•.¸(`'•.¸¸.•'´)¸.•'´)
*:-:¦: Leigh Ann :¦:-:*
(¸.•'`(¸.•'´`'•.¸)`'•.¸)

28 comments:

Sandy said...

Leigh Ann - I know exactly how you feel. I often find myself saying, Oh I can't wait till he can crawl, I can't wait for him to walk, I can't wait for him to do this or that. I'm trying to enjoy each stage he's at and trying not to "wish" thru his childhood so quickly. Each new step is sometimes so exciting that you forget to enjoy the moment that you in. They do grow up so fast!

Anonymous said...

I totally know what you are feeling! Time does go by soooo quickly and they grow up soooo fast. A has taught me to enjoy each stage, since he has chosen to take his time... in learning to sit, crawl, and now with walking. Have fun with pictures...can't wait to see them on your blog.

Susan said...

I'm afraid we've all been guilty of wishing our life away. So important to learn to truly live - One Day At A Time - and in the very moment. Enjoy the picture day and we'll look so forward to seeing the new ones.
Susan

Just Mom said...

"Can anyone tell me how to stop time?"

When you figure that one out, let me know. I've been trying to stop time since we first brought Alex home from the hospital.

MorningSong said...

Spellcheck isn't always a safe bet to confirm a word exists or not. I used a word once and so butchered it that spellcheck couldn't identify it. Although spellcheck ALWAYS corrects my name. :)

I agree on the baby stuff! I feel I rushed so many stages with HC because I didn't know they were REALLY a phase. I panicked that she would be forever in x-phase and so I missed the relax time with her. I held her AND enjoyed her but it was nothing like the knowing 'this too shall pass' I had with JB. I think it is just the Mommy in us growing up.

I would cry too regarding the teeth if it were my last. Enjoy every tiny minute!! I know you will!

Short Stop said...

I know exactly how you feel. I suppose every mother does. I am trying, realllly trying to enjoy every season, every age, and even the challenges that come with them. But, it's a daily struggle!

I can't wait to see the pictures!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Leigh Ann. What a heartfelt post. I understand what you're feeling. They do grow up so fast. I was a teenager when I had my now teenager ... I wish I could remember more of her childhood. I spent all my days with her and she was like my living babydoll. Since I was so young, I wasn't able to soak in the *good stuff* the way I can now. I can't get those days back but I sure can enjoy them now ... even with my 2 others. :o)

Ruth said...

I completely understand. I'm sure I wished away a lot of time with my first two. They were only 15 months apart, and I felt overwhelmed a lot of the time. With my third, knowing he was my last, I broke every rule I had laid down. I nursed him until he was 18 months. He slept in bed with us (still does at 7). Now I want to freeze time and keep them all just where they are at.

Mrs. Breum said...

Leigh Ann, that was a post I can totally relate to. I can't believe our kids are 8,6, and 4 this summer...it really feels like they were just born.

Loved that post.

Tina said...

Oh Leigh Ann, I want to stop time too~ Molly is almost 9 months now and I just can't believe it. I must say I don't think I have wasted any time with her, but I know I did with the older ones. I am so glad God gave me one more chance to experience it fully.
Love
Tina

Lori said...

There's never enough time is there.

Can't wait to see the new pictures of your little blessings.

Anonymous said...

Oh girlfriend, you are talking to the wrong mom on this one. I cherished and savored every minute with my gems. I told Jenna everyday to stop growing (yes, even through the really hard and difficult days with her.)

Today I still can't look at a baby without wishing...wishing for just one more. I'm 47 year old for heavens sake!

You have years to love those little jewels and to make loads of lasting memories. Just enjoy them and praise them for the wonderful gifts they are to you. Pour out God's blessing upon them and raise them up to be the world changers that God has placed them here to be.

You are an awesome mom. Your children will rise up and call you blessed!

I've sent out the shipment of Kleenex. Could you just pray that I'll be a grammy someday and have grandkids who at least live near Michigan :)

Anonymous said...

I'm the same way!! I think I did have an strong appreciation with each of my babies, but knowing Luke is the last, I have a HARD time letting him move on to the next stage. Take potty training for example. I gave it a half hearted effort this winter after being consumed with the thought that I didn't remember and appreciate that "last diaper" I changed. I was SO glad to give up and put him back in diapers so I could have a baby just a little while longer!! Crazy, I know. But, I'm happy and sad to say that he is now fully potty trained and I did allow myself a moment to cherish the last change! And now that it's done, it doesn't bother me, but oh, the transition is tough! I've held on to him so tight, cherishing each moment, each achievement and each of his "lasts", but his baby hood continues to slip away so quickly. Gosh, before I know it, I'll be a Grandma!! LOL

Heather K said...

Leigh Ann.... yes they're right!!! Hold your baby!!! I held my girls SO much. My mil used to tell me that I shouldn't hold them so much.. they need to learn to be on their own... well I totally and wholeheartedly disagreed with her and did almost everything with a baby on my arm or lap etc..I am SO happy that I did this. As you're seeing now... the time goes by SO fast. I was starting to think that I'd passed all the stages that I needed to savour when a while back I realized that there is still much to savour even though my baby is 9 years old. She seems so big now..but I know we'll look back at the pictures and think how cute she was.... Even the older ones..at 15 14 and 12...yeah..I'm pretty sentimental when it comes to my kids...I'm like Ginger...picture someone holding her baby(kids)...
being drug along leaning back with her heels dug into the ground... that's me! SO if you DO figure out how to stop time please call ME..COLLECT!!!

... said...

what a nice post. and i think every mom can relate. i remember when i hear someone say they held their child for hours one day. my child was still a baby and i couldn't imagine doing such a thing. why would you want to? but it became apparent later what this woman was thinking and how much i wished i could do the same thing... just hold my kid. or is it 'holding on' to my kid?

and you're right. every stage is different and brings on a whole new set of worries and joys.

or yah, and... amen!

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

I think we all go through that...hoping that they go onto the next stage only to find out that the next stage isn't all fun and games either. I think second guessing ourselves as moms is common...we just want our kids to turn out to be great people (and normal)!

I can't wait to see their new pictures!

Teresa said...

I couldn't agree more with all of this! As I prepare to send 2 off to school next month I am an emotional wreck! Being a SAHM is the most fulfilling thing I have ever done. Through the busyness of each day I have to stop myself and enjoy those precious, passing moments with my children.
I can't wait to see the new pictures!

Tracy said...

I know what you are feeling. I only wish htta I did know how to stop the time. My baby is 8 3/4! My baby! I really don't know where the time went.

I do know that I am so happy that we homeschool, because if they were in school all day, I'd feel like they were already gone.

Mary@notbefore7 said...

I feel the same way - as you know #3 is 6 months for me tomorrow and I just feel like it has flown. It is so hard to enjoy each part in the midst of the craziness of 3 little ones. I just want to pinch his little chubby cheeks forever. I want to hear those sweet sounds forever...soon they'll be words. AHHHH! It is good we can't stop time though, or we might be tempted to do so and that would not allow these wonderful people to BECOME!

Amber said...

I still can't grasp the idea of my 2nd youngest growing like he is. The other day I said, "Come here Baby!" he said, "I'm not a baby, I'm a big boy." I held back my tears, he's only 2. If someone figures out how to stop time, let me know.

God Bless,
Amber

Ghost Girl (aka, Mary Ann) said...

Oh, I know what you're going through. I can't believe my youngest is already 6! I sometimes get that ache in my arms, that absolutely-gotta-hold-a-baby ache. But I am savoring as much as I can now. As my life gets busier, I am so thankful I stayed home as long as I did. I wish I could stay home longer, but financially, it's time to consider other needs as well, including private school.

Take lots of pictures, record their voices, and love them up all over!

Myrna said...

Every stage is the best --and the worst! Just enjoy it while you have it and know that all those feelings are natural. Besides when they grow up you get to have grandchildren--and that is absolutely the BEST!

BTW--Your children are precious. I love those pictures at the top of your page. Your daughter has the cutest expression in that picture. They are all too cute! Can't wait to see the next ones to see how they have grown.

Kari said...

Leigh Ann,
The other day, Onna told my Mom and me that "Papa being gumpy!" We asked her why he was being grumpy, and she replied, "He called me WITTO (little)!"

I know how you feel too. Onna is two and a half, and growing like a weed! I have to work, and some days it's both jobs. Those days are really hard because I barely see her. Those are the nights that I don't object when she crawls into bed with me. I need the cuddle time as much as she does!

weavermom said...

amen! :) I totally agree.

And yet...
my favorite up to this point has been the first year. They will cuddle and coo and just look at you, and I love it. I could do the first year over and over and over and over.

But, I got to tell you, this both kids are over 3 and potty trained ain't half bad. No diaper bags, they can put on their own shoes, they can dress themselves, Punkin can even get SnugBug buckled into his car seat! I can read a magazine at lunch, she is learning to READ, we can all play Candy Land together, we can have a family conversation. I'm enjoying it. :)

I don't mean you should wish the time away (no way!) - I mean, there is still some more really good stuff coming that helps take the edge off the grief of no more baby phase.

I frequently tell SnugBug that he is not allowed to get bigger. He usually says, "But I getting bigger mommy, and someday I be a big MAN like Daddy." Yes, yes you will sweetheart. (sigh)

Can't wait to see the pics!

Kris said...

Oh boy, I should have read this yesterday. I'm going through the same thing. Owen is our last, too and I can help wanting it to be a year from now when he's "chatting" and getting around. I will cherish these times, thanks for the reminders!
K

Tara O said...

All I can say is AMEN...I enjoyed the second baby so much more than the first because I didn't have so much worry about piddly things. I enjoyed the fourth baby even MORE....by that time I felt like I was a veteran at some of those stages...let's not talk about the teen stage though...gulp...I might survive (OR NOT)...at least he's starting to talk about being a Christian again and is going to camp on Monday with the youth group-please be praying that he will give over his life to Jesus next week. He's rooming with a kid that I wish he would emulate...because this kid just oozes Jesus.

Amy said...

You've probably had your fill of comments on this post, but let me just say "amen" to everything that has been said. My daughter turned 1 at the end of June and I can hardly bear it! Sometimes I will just hold her as she falls asleep so that I can have one more moment holding her in my arms.

I always dreamed of being a mother and now that it's here I feel like I can't keep up! Time does fly...

sahmqueen said...

I was just having this exact conversation with my husband. We have 3 boys, 6, 3, and 11 mo. We are done having kids since hubby got fixed. I was ok with it, but the older baby gets the more I wish I would have savored the other 2 more. I did the same thing; wishing phases would pass. Now that we're done having babies, I find myself really lingering with my baby more and really enjoying the present. I am struggling with guilt in that area. Life moves forward. I am just going to squeeze my boys with snuggles and enjoy every second, knowing it goes so quickly.
Glory