March 3, 2007

Bye bye blue sky

My laundry lasted outside until lunch time, when it began to rain.

I have this perfectionist habit of folding each piece of laundry - just right - so that it can sit in the laundry basket for a week without becoming wrinkled and needing to be ironed. You know how laundry has a way of not making it to the dresser drawers? At least that is how it happens in our house. Sure, I'm good about getting the laundry into the washer and outside to dry, but must I really put it away? Couldn't we just walk outside and grab off the line when we need something? No, really, I'm not that bad, but sometimes it does sit on the floor for a few days before it gets put away.

So, there I am, in the rain, taking my time to fold each piece. Fortunately, it didn't take me too long before I realized how very stupid this was and just starting yanking down everything and tossing it into the basket. Oh well, at least I tried, and hey, I only ran the dryer for 5 min rather than 45! That was worth it, no?

It was a nice feeling to be outside hanging laundry...maybe another day!

By the way, since a few of you asked, I don't hang laundry out when the temps are below freezing. Some folks around here do, but my fingers get too cold. It was in the 50s today. I figure if it is warm enough to melt the snow, it is warm enough to dry my sheets!

Wouldn't you know that by mid-afternoon, the sun was back out. But by then, my wash line was out of the sun's reach, hidden by the shadows of the house.

6 comments:

weavermom said...

Glad you had "enough sense to come in out of the rain." (I hope that is not just a Southern phrase.) He he!

And, yes, I would say 5 min is better than 45 - I hope they kept some of that "fresh" smell!

Susan said...

So sorry to hear you didn't get the full benefit of the line but yes 5 vs 45 sound good.

Just Mom said...

:-(

Lori said...

Yes, 5 minutes of dryer time isn't much at all..just to get the dampness and wrinkles out of the clothes.

Heather K said...

Hi there
Thanks for visiting my blog and also for the help with posting pictures. I had been doing it the way you said to do it and so tried again. Still didn't work. So I went to the 'help' section. They suggested trying a different browser if having the problem I was having. I was using Firefox, so switched to Internet Explorer. Voila! It worked. So it must have been something blocking it. Firefox is supposed to be good at blocking nasty stuff from getting on our computers... so I guess it backfired for me. Anyway just glad that it finally worked out. Take care and feel free to drop by anytime! :o)
Heather

~ Amy ~ said...

I have to admit your not alone in leaving your laundry in the basket. I hate putting mine away too. It sits in the basket for a few days at least. What a terrible habit I've gotten myself into.