March 8, 2007

Babies Don't Keep

My baby is already 3 months old
Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.

Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She’s up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.
Oh, I’ve grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.


Dishes are waiting and bills are past due,
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.

The shopping’s not done and there’s nothing for stew
And out in the yard there’s a hullabaloo,
But I’m playing Kanga and this is my Roo,
Lullabye, rockaby lullabye loo.

The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
But children grow up as I’ve learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.

By Ruth Hulbert Hamilton

10 comments:

Susan said...

Absolutely beautiful! And sooo true.

Just Mom said...

Happy Three-Month Birthday to your littlest guy.

That was a beautiful poem you posted, by the way.

Anonymous said...

very nice :)

Anonymous said...

Awwww, it's tough watching the changes and knowing they are growing before your eyes. My baby just drove out of the driveway. She is eighteen. When did that happen? I wish she was small enough to hold in my arms and sing songs to again. Enjoy your little blessing :)

Anna said...

I need to hear words like that from time to time. Thanks for sharing!

weavermom said...

They change so much in 3 months - Happy B'day!

My little guy will be 3 YEARS in a few weeks - I can't believe it.

Anonymous said...

that was very good, did you make that up yourself? Very beautiful poem.

Sandy said...

Awww that was sweet! And how I'm learning everyday how true it is.

Lori said...

I love that poem.

Cute photos. Isn't it so much fun to see them grow and change. Time flies by so quickly.

Tina said...

I just LOVE that poem. I heard it for the first time after Molly was born, but I had only heard the last verse. It was neat to read the whole thing.
I missed a lot with my first 4, but I think I can honestly say that I have not missed one cuddle or kiss with Molly, though I can't believe she is already 4 and a half months old. It literally FLIES by, doesn't it? Before I got pregnant with her I used to really mourn the fact that I was too busy, frazzled, mostly too selfish to enjoy my boys the way I should have. I was so thankful God gave me another chance to enjoy it. You are somewhat in the stage I was at one point, with all little ones. Glad you seem to be enjoying it.