March 29, 2009

The S Files

The S Files, 4th edition

I am posting 2 weeks of activities in this post.

Some of the activities are too in depth for my children (my oldest is 6), so we have been giving something up on several days throughout the weeks. We've chosen one thing to give up for an entire day, some of them have been: computer games and television watching. I think it was Elle who suggested giving up afternoon rest times, but I said we'd better not, or mom might be grouchy until evening! ;-)

Eggs: We talked about how eggs are familiar symbols at Easter time, but they are unrelated to the Easter story. They do, however, represent new life and have been a signal of spring since ancient times. Christians adopted the egg as an Easter symbol because of the relationship between spring and new life in Christ. We followed up with an egg race.

Spring: We brought some spring into the house and are admiring God's creation at the kitchen windows. (Thanks Mom!!)


Another activity was to talk to the kids about how the term Good Friday probably came from God's Friday. We talked about how the day Christ died is ultimately very good because all of us need a Savior - we need to be redeemed.

New Life: Because of Easter, we can have new life in Christ. We found a butterfly template, here, and painted them. "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new." 2 Corinthians 5:17.

Cleaning: We learned the Jewish families typically cleaned before Passover. We found some glass doors in need of a good cleaning. The kids loved helping to wipe the doors clean.

A final activity in the past 2 weeks was one that involved learning the traditional Easter greeting. I asked the children what they say or have heard us say to people when shopping, etc, at Christmastime. They answered, "Merry Christmas." I told them, there is an Easter greeting as well. The first person says, "Christ is Risen!." To which we answer, "He is risen indeed!" We've been praticing saying this and I look forward to offering this greeter to those we meet in the days before Easter.


post signature

4 comments:

Just Mom said...

I see you're making the kids clean for you, too. ;-D

Great stuff, LA.

Anonymous said...

Amazing! You are such a great mother! These are the things that go into their hearts and stay there for a lifetime! You never stop amazing me with your talent.

Love you!

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Give up rest time....LOL! She's a funny one :)

Our kids really enjoyed the giving up for a day. It was more meaningful than I thought!

We have had to pick and choose activities as well, but have loved this overall!

Short Stop said...

I spy....LOL!!!

Just awesome, LA. LOVE the Good Friday lesson. SO cool.