March 16, 2009

Good Housekeeping

Lord, it is not the dirt and clutter in plain sight that nag at me.
It's that hidden . . . You know,
behind the refrigerator, in the closets, under the bed dirt that no one sees
or knows about but me.

It's the same way with my life, God.
It's those hidden sins that I can't keep up with . . .
those petty little grievances, the grudges, the resentments,
the unspoken harsh feelings, the superior attitudes;
thoughts and feelings that no one else knows about but me . . .  and You, God.

Help me, Father, to clean my heart as I would my home.
Take away all dust and cobwebs of pride, ill feelings and prejudice.
The dirt behind my refrigerator will never hurt anyone.
The dirt in my heart will.

~Source Unknown


Some time back, as I was cleaning my shower and wiping the dirt along the top edge of the shower (where I can't even see it, but I know it is there), a similar thought occurred to me.  I'm spending time cleaning areas that maybe only a giant can see, but I know the dirt is there.  When was the last time I spent time removing some of the dirt hidden inside me . . . those sins "that I can't keep up with."  And, those hidden sins, that I can't see - but I bet a mouse can. 

I mean, I'm sure there are obvious signs in my life, outward things, which my friends and family see in me as a result of those sins.  I clean my shower even though my husband and I can't see the dirt up there, but I haven't worked at removing the dirt - the sin - that is hidden inside me doing so much more damage to others and myself and yet, I spend more time making sure the top of my shower is clean; and honestly, I don't clean the top of my shower that often.

This makes me sad.  It is a sad realization of how I'm not letting the Lord work in me and therefore, I'm not functioning as the Lord would have me to for my friends, my family . . . my loved ones. 

I want a cleansing, Lord, that can only come from You.
post signature

9 comments:

Susan said...

As I read this wonderful post, LA I thought about this verse which speaks of HIS washing:

"Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the WASHING of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior." Titus3:5 & 6

It truly is His work and we just have to be willing to pray that most dangerous prayer of all, Lord search me, in the very cracks and crevices of my life, and show me. Boy, everytime I pray that...He does. He is so faithful!!!!
Susan

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

What a perfect analogy!

Anonymous said...

I just found you from Short Stop. I love the Lent activities your are doing with your kids. Do you structure your homeschooling lessons like that all year? (where you pull an activity a day from the jar) We are planning to HS my son for Kindergarten next year and I have two other younger ones who I am sure will be grabbing the pencils. Love his Van Gogh piece! You sound like a terrific mommy and I found your site quite inspiring! Thanks for sharing.

Lori said...

What a great post. So very true.

Mary@notbefore7 said...

So very true girl. (A LA deep thought....and you hit the nail on the head)

I just finished, "Respectable Sins" by Jerry Bridges and let me tell ya - if you need a book that leaves no crevice untouched...that one fits the bill.

Just Mom said...

Hey! I thought I told you to keep what I was going to confess, a secret!

;-D

Tammy said...

This was wonderful...there are so many attitudes within each of us that He wants to wash clean.

(If you get a chance, stop over and check out the Home School Open House!)

Susan said...

This so goes along with what God is showing me this week in Psalm 139. I needed to read it because I am going to be visiting with a friend tonight who needs a little "cleaning"...and it's going to be HARD...I think I'm going to take this poem for her. Thank you for sharing, Leigh Ann!!

Hugs,

Susan

Short Stop said...

What beautiful thoughts, LA! Thank you for being so vulnerable so that we could examine our own hearts through what God is teaching you!

Loved this!