March 7, 2009

Saturday School Files

The S. Files, 2nd edition

Another fun week of meaningful activities as we continue to observe the season of Lent.

Monday - I pulled a slip in the early morning because I knew that day's plans would fit well with one of the suggested activities. I selected 'sacrifice something nice for someone in the family.' We were celebrating T's birthday this past Monday and the kids and I sacrificed our afternoon play time to make supper and a cake for him. The kids were more than thrilled to do this for their dad and it was a great way to share about God's ultimate sacrifice - the sacrifice of His One and Only Son.

On Tuesday, we randomly chose the activity to talk about and help the children to understand why Jesus was called "The lamb of God." We followed a short talk with a lamb craft.
Wednesday - The slip that was chosen told us to sing "Jesus loves me" - a favorite in our house.

Thursday - Using the word "RESURRECTION," we were to make as many words as we could. This was definitely just an activity for Quintin and I and we made a pretty good list. Some of our words being: sin, rise, sun, son, rest, cross, secret, section, curse, notes, site and sure.

Friday - We had a fun day having pulled out the slip suggesting to act out the "parade" of Palm Sunday. We found a template for palm branches, here, and took turns playing all the parts!
Saturday - This morning, with T home, we talked just a little about how the Jewish people sacrificed lambs and other "clean" animals as an acknowledgement of their sin. We shared with the kids how God doesn't want us to do that anymore and that Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice by shedding his blood for our sin - as our lamb. Then we looked at our lambs from Tuesday.


Have a blessed weekend!!

post signature

7 comments:

Susan said...

I'm loving this way you are teaching your children. What a joy to be your child. I especially loved the cute little lambs!!
Susan

Tracy said...

Leigh Ann,
I love this Lenten series that you are doing with your children! What a wonderful way to make them understand what it all means when we celebrate Resurrection Sunday!

weavermom said...

I want to do this next year. Tell me again what resource you used for the activity ideas?

They look like they are having so much fun!!

Just Mom said...

Cute, cute, cute!

Mary@notbefore7 said...

I am so glad you posted about this series. We have had a ball too! Had our hot cross buns this weekend :)

... said...

what a great way to teach and observe the lenten period. i bet the kids are having a blast.

i love the lambs, too.

Lynn said...

Awesome ideas LA...ones I will have to remember.