March 14, 2009

Saturday School Files

The S. Files, 3rd edition

(Click to see 1st edition and 2nd edition)

Monday: We searched the playroom for some purple objects. After we had our little collection, I explained that purple is the color of Lent. It symbolizes the pain and suffering leading up to the crucifixion of Jesus. It's also the color of royalty and symbolizes the kingship of Jesus in our lives. Colin wanted his picture with the purple end of a dart. Elle liked her purple paper with her name on it. And Quintin liked this purple sash. We then decided that we'd all wear something purple on Tuesday.
Tuesday: We made homemade pretzels (recipe here). These originated as a Lenten treat, their twisted shape suggesting arms crossed in prayer.

My helpers in purple (the boys are wearing maroon!)
Our finished product - which was Oh So YUMMY!!!!
Wednesday: The activity selected for this day actually didn't get accomplished until Saturday. We pulled a slip of paper suggesting to sing, "O for a Thousand Tongues." I used the wonderful book, Hymns for a Child's Heart, Vol 1, which has a story telling about the song writer and reasons why he chose to write songs in the style that he did. My cd wasn't working, so we went here, to sing along.

Thursday: We chose to select some toys from the playroom to donate. It was difficult for them at first to part with some toys, but they did, in the end, see the benefit of passing on some unused toys to children in need of them.

Friday: We baked cookies to send along to Alabama for the men who will be working to help John and Shirley! Read more, here.

Saturday's activity focused on sand. Sand is also a Lenten symbol. We talked about how God let the people journey in the desert and how Jesus faced temptation during the 40 days in the desert. We visited the sandbox to gather some sand to display on our bookshelves and to remind us that the desert can be a place free from distractions.
We also did a little sand craft - each child chose a piece of construction paper and a word that related to Easter.
We wrote the words on and then wrote over each letter with glue. We headed out to the sandbox and here are our results:
While this week didn't go exactly as planned with the timing of our activities, I am assured that they will remember these lessons. As soon as we finished our "sand projects" tonight, Quintin came inside and got started on his journal. (click on the picture to enlarge it)
Until next week,
post signature

6 comments:

Just Mom said...

Oo! LOVE that sand idea. Will definitely do that with JS.

Nice work!

Susan said...

Have you made prezels before? They look delicious.
Susan

... said...

looks and sounds like a great week. yep, those pretzels look very yummy. i love soft pretzels but have never attempted to make them myself.

Lori said...

Those are all great ideas. I might have to swipe an idea or two from you.

Lynn said...

another fun an exciting week at the R household!!!

Short Stop said...

HOLY COW, LA! You are rockin' out the activites! I SO need to make those pretzels with the boys. I konw they'd love them.

I may or may not spot a SL item in this post. I think I'm gonna start hiding one in all of my photos - and we can play a little game of "I Spy". LOL!