With the season of Lent upon us, I'm trying to do activities with the children to help them focus on Easter so it doesn't pass us by as quickly as in years past. At Christmas we spent time preparing our hearts with memorable Advent activities and I wanted to do something similar to make Easter stand out more for them (and myself too).
I found a wonderful and *free* activity book at currclick. I'm not sure how much longer it will be free but it is only $3.99 if the free download becomes unavailable. "Lent Activities for the Family" eBook.
I've decided to post about our Lent activities here on Saturdays for two reasons. First, to have a record of what we've learned and second, to share with other families that may be looking for ideas.
Tuesday: Around these parts, a heavily Penn. Dutch area, Shrove Tuesday is also known as Fasnacht Day. Fasnachts were made to empty the pantry of lard, sugar, butter and fat, typically forbidden during Lent. Never having tried any recipes for Fasnachts - similar to donuts - the older two kids and I headed to the local farmer's market to purchase some at our favorite bakery stand. They aren't my favorite type of gooey, sugary treat, but they are good and the kids liked them (that's the important part, right?) Personally, I'm still waiting for someone to create the cream filled fasnacht!
In regards to the eBook, we printed the list of daily activities. I cut them apart, folded them and placed them in a glass dish which is sitting in a prominent position on our bookshelves. Each evening, before bed, we randomly choose one for the following day. Tuesday night, after explaining Ash Wednesday to the kids and telling them why many choose to give things up for Lent, we drew "Give something up today." *Perfect* So, the kids chose to give up any computer and TV viewing time for the day. And, what amazed me the most was that they never complained about it!
For Thursday, we drew "Pray for missionaries in persecuted churches around the world." We began our prayer time with T reading The Great Commission in Matthew and by talking about those from our own church who now serve as missionaries. This was also a great time to talk to the kids about Grandma's (T's mom) upcoming mission trip to Haiti.
For Friday, we selected "Take a nature walk looking for things that remind you the life of Jesus Christ." Knowing it was going to rain by afternoon, we headed out just after breakfast. It was on the warmer side and was enjoyable to be out. The kids, with bags in hand, were eager just to get outside!!
Thorns on a branch, reminding of us the crown of thorns they placed on Jesus' head.
Two sticks making a cross. After we came in, Quintin asked me to help him tie them together to make a necklace. We also found a stone, leaves reminding us of palm branches and Quintin picked up a stick shaped like a boat. We just finished several Bible lessons with Jesus teaching near/on the Sea of Galilee.
A beautiful time in the woods behind our home, with the sun peeking out.
My camera shy little guy!
For Saturday, we pulled "Read an Easter related book."
With just 4 days in to our Lent activities, I truly feel God is using this time to not only bring us closer as a family while we LIVE & LEARN, but we are growing closer to Him and developing a deeper sense of what Easter does mean to us.
7 comments:
Wonderful way to be teaching your kids! I love the small lessons that will impact their hearts.
The photos of C on your shoulders is way cute! I love his little eyes just peeking at the camera.
This is fantastic!!!! I'm glad you are going to be sharing it with us every Saturday.
Susan
What a great idea that is working out so well! I also can't wait to read more. :)
Totally wonderfully awesome! When I lived in Ireland, we celebrated Shrove Tuesday by making pancakes. That's the tradition there. Of course I made Beer Pancakes...flour, sugar, butter, eggs, and a bottle of Harp or Guinness! Now that's the way to start lent!
No cream-filled fasnacht?! What are they thinking!
Isn't Lent wonderful?
Good for you, Leigh Ann. When our children were young we did something called the 40 Day Adventure during Lent season. (I must say, the fact that we did not have a TV or computer greatly enhanced our ability to do such things.) You're getting a great start teaching your little ones the things that matter.
Oooooh!!! I love these types of posts. I love getting ideas to make holidays more meaningful. Good stuff LA.
Post a Comment