February 17, 2009

Winter Wonderland

Not having grown up with access to a mountain getaway, I don't think I really knew how pretty winter can be.  Yes, I saw how beautiful it was when the fresh snow lay on the ground, but until you get out, in winter, into the woods, you really see some spectacular sights.
We had a warm spell last week, and the ice that had once covered the creek had now floated up on shore.  If this is how thick it was after mild winter temps, I cannot imagine how thick it was a few weeks ago.
None of us participated in the Polar Bear Plunge (big suprise there, huh?), but I did capture a picture of a few - crazy, I tell ya! Brrr!!!!

We all started out watching down on the ice, against the fence they had around the hole.  As we stood there waiting, we heard a loud CRACK.  I looked at T, waved, and then headed to the grass with Colin.  I walked up a little hill and had a perfect view!  The ice cracked again one more time, but nothing ever happened.  They weren't in a rush to tell anyone to get off of it, but I wasn't standing there!!  The weight of the ice around the hole was so heavy that water was coming out of the hole and moving across the ice.  Crazy, I say!!
post signature

10 comments:

Just Mom said...

BEAUTIFUL! BEAUTIFUL! BEAUTIFUL!

Isn't it fun taking random photos of nature? :-D

Nice "expotition," LA.

Susan said...

Beautiful pictures.
Susan

green gables girl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tammy said...

Wow, what gorgeous photos! It looks like a wonderful weekend, Leigh Ann!

Oh, I kind of dropped the ball reminding fellow home schoolers about the open house this week...but if you still want to participate, I'll have the post up for a couple days.
Or, if you can't, just drop over for a visit anyway! :)
Hugs,
~Tammy

Heidi Jo Comes said...

wow, those are beautiful wintery displays. add a few parka's, long underwear, ear muffs, ski mask, gortex and thinsulate...and you have a south dakota winter:0)

Kristina said...

Those are simply amazing photographs, I am jealous that I'm not there right now too!

... said...

what beautiful pics, LA. winterscapes can be so beautiful and great photo ops are available - if you're willing to weather the conditions. glad you did.

and i would have moved far away from the ice, too.

Lori said...

All the photos are beautiful.
Looks like you had a wonderful vacation.

weavermom said...

What did I miss? Does that girl really have a wedding dress on? :)
I would have gotten off the cracking ice too!!

Mary@notbefore7 said...

LOve these shots - look at that ice!

Why do people do the polar bear plunge? I will never get it :)