November 17, 2008

I did it!!

I survived 5 nights on my own with the kids!

Early last Tuesday, T left for McKenzie, ND on a hunting trip with his brother and father. The brothers did it as a gift to their dad to celebrate his 50 years with the business.

He arrived home, to a house of excited children, at 5 yesterday afternoon.

Brother T, Dad, my T (along with a dog and some pheasants!) They were out hunting geese, ducks and pheasants.
Yeah, I know, wouldn't you rather lay around in one of these on snow-covered ground for a week instead of being at home? I don't get it! LOL!!!

After a long day of hunting (I'm assuming, T didn't tell me that, I'm gauging it on the fact that they look tired!!)
Wow, I cannot believe how flat it is out there! (sorry as my SDian friends, but seriously, it's flat. I look into my backyard and can't see my picnic table in the woods because the back corner of the yard drops off! I know, I know, I need to travel more!)
I'll never understand the lure of hunting. I did not come from a family of hunters, so this took some getting used to when I started dating T.

"You go into the woods? With a gun? And sit there for hours? Just so you can kill something? Which, by the way, you must gut? And then drag out of the woods? And then we hang it's head on the wall? Couldn't we save the money and buy a nice piece of artwork?"

I'm just sayin' - I don't get it. Besides....orange....it is NOT my color! ;-)

While we still have bear season coming up and buck season...I think I can handle it! I'm just happy to have T home (and my camera...but don't tell him I said that!)

post signature

16 comments:

DD said...

Tell T I'm glad he had a good time! Congrats to you for surviving a week with 3 kiddies!

Monica said...

I totally do not get it either. Going after innocent, defenseless animals with a gun? And it's called a "sport"? Where is the sport in that? Ok give the animal a gun too, then it's a sport.

Tracy said...

I'm glad that you survived. I bet you were glad to snuggle with T last night! I always miss Verne more when it's cold outside!

Heidi Jo Comes said...

north dakota is flat. we south dakotans like to think we got all the hills before the wasteland of north dakota began! :0)

my husband and son head out at every opportunity to hunt geese and ducks. and the part that makes it the most annoying isn't that they lay out there freezing for this...but they bring home nasty birds that we are supposed to want to eat!

weavermom said...

Congrats!

(And I'm with you on the hunting. Glad it's not a big thing for my hubby. :) )

Susan said...

Hunting is for men for sure. I don't get it either and always think of Bambi. Sorry!!!!
Susan

Tina said...

LOL at Monica's comment!

Lynn said...

Glad they had fun. What great father son bonding time for all of them.

YOU SURVIVED!!!

Amber said...

Corey was gone for 8 nights...9 days deer hunting in Mn and SD.
I kind of forgot what he looked like!

Maxine said...

Glad all is well and everyone returned safely. I'm not a fan of hunting, but I know those who like it are passionate about it. I felt sorry for those poor geese lying there! But I'm just too much of a softy when it comes to animals of any type. I can't even watch a movie where an animal dies or suffers. Some type of emotional problem I think. :)

... said...

i BET the kids were excited =)

i don't get the whole hunting thing either. did they go with other people? i was wondering who took the pictures of the three of them. i don't think it's usual to ask a passing-by hunter to take a picture or two. hehe.

Momma Roar said...

Diana - it was a "guided hunt" meaning that they stayed at a cabin on a family farm. It was in its 5th generation leading hunts. They had a guide and there with 2 other groups there that had another guide (they were brothers)

Mary@notbefore7 said...

5 nights without him and you still had time to blog! Now THAT is an accomplishment sista' *wink

Just Mom said...

He needs to take a detour south next time, and bring you with him.
:-D

Heather K said...

I know what you mean about the guys hunting! My hubby is a hunter...lets just say the head is hanging in the workshop...not the livingroom! :P But he hunts deer, moose and elk and I appreciate the meat VERY much! It is costly feeding a family!
And yes we ARE adopting..and we haven't done our homestudy yet...just getting started!! We're SO excited!

Andrea said...

Goodness sakes! When there's a grocery store next door, who'd lay around in that bag in the freezing cold??!! :-D
Hope he bagged something for all that cold and waiting!
Andrea