May 5, 2008

Cherished Family Recipes

Most of our "comfort foods" involve chicken and gravy. A favorite of my husbands is chicken and crackers. Not only are the crackers yummy, there are parts to this recipe that make it enjoyable.

First, it is a recipe that belonged to my mother in law's grandmother. You've got to love a recipe passed on down through the generations. (Monica, I'm wondering if you make these?)

Secondly, this bowl below...belonged to my husband's grandmother. This is the bowl I'm sure my mother in law's mother made these same crackers in. Each time I pull it out to use it, I think of her (she passed away in 2005).














To get the recipe for these chicken crackers, you can click over to Momma Roar's Kitchen!







post signature

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy, Yummy, Yummy! My grandma makes them about once a year. I look ever so forward to them! My children have started to enjoy them as well, which is exciting since she is their only great-grandma living. What a wonderful dish and great family tradition. I'll check out/compare recipes!

Tracy said...

Mmmmmm... That looks incredible!

... said...

ok, i'll show my ignorance... i've never heard of chicken and crackers. lol - when i first started reading, i was picturing something like saltines :p

but this does look good. my grandmother used to make chicken over homemade noodles. but they weren't like store bought noodles. they may have been closer to your 'crackers.'

Monica said...

wow Leigh Anne, that brings back memories! I have not actually made that dish, but now that you've posted the recipe I'll have to try it. You even have the little wheel that makes the edges like she did. Any dishes I have of hers, are nice and are tucked away in the attick, I'm afraid I'll break them. One of my favorite recipes of hers, was a dessert. She made it at Christmas. They were made with cereal (corn flakes?) and had peanuts mixed in with them. Do you remember these? They were kind of like a rice krispie I guess. Anyway, yes I agree the best recipes are those that are handed down from family =)

Just Mom said...

Hey! You didn't tell me I would need to get one of those fancy schmancy doohickeys to cut the dough.

michelle said...

You sew AND cook?! I don't think I can be your friend anymore...although if I make this recipe I'll be more like you. :-)

And it looks yummy!

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

Mmmmmm.....looks delicious!

Short Stop said...

I love these kinds of recipes. The ones passed down from generation to generation. I love it that you're willing to share them...sometimes people won't share these kinds of treasures and I have never quite understood the thinking behind that.

Heading over to see the recipe! This is my kind of meal...so comforting!

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Shameless plug ;)

wow - looks yummy...how bout for the non-cooks without the fancy shmacy cutting thingys?

I love that you have that bowl and you use it to make these. A family tradition while making and eating.

What a great thing to share.

Anonymous said...

From you last post: You already know I love your house and the way you have decorated it...my dream house kids and all :)

The food looks great. I love your recipes. Haven't tried one yet that was not great!

Heather K said...

this looks interesting...but I couldn't open your other blog.

Jean said...

Oh boy, that's something I used to make a LOT. We call them pot pie crackers. I learned to do it from my mother-in-law. Absolutely delicious!!

Shirley said...

I agree, it does look great! Looks like nice "comfort" food, if you ask me.
Shirley

Sandy said...

Yummy, Leigh Ann, that looks sooo very good!

Kelli said...

Oh, I'm soooo hungry now! It looks delicious, Leigh Ann!
~Kelli

Andrea said...

Your pics are torturing me on my "wheat-free" diet! If I knew where you lived I might have to come raid your kitchen!
Good homemade food just looks so yummy!
Andrea

Heidi Jo Comes said...

i have never heard of such a thing....i may even try this myself. i will most likely fail. but i will try:0)

Mary@notbefore7 said...

very confused...where are you today?

missing a bright shiny new post this AM...sigh...oh where oh where is la?

Lori said...

That does look yummy! I'm headed over to your recipe blog to check it out.

Lori said...

That does look yummy! I'm headed over to your recipe blog to check it out.

Rita Loca said...

Those look delish! I will try this.