May 2, 2008

Design Inspiration

Mary is hosting the Design Inspiration Carnival today. I'm looking forward to this and the glimpses into people's home for some fresh decorating ideas. It doesn't have to be magazine-like ideas (because mine certainly aren't) but just a fun way to share things we like about our homes.

We built our home in 2005. We didn't want to try at that point to choose colors for every room, so we went with one basic color for the walls throughout the entire house. If we wanted to paint one room later, we could. But, after being here almost 3 years, I have grown fonder of my paint choice each day! We used Benjamin Moore's "blanched almond" for the walls and "timid white" for the woodwork and ceilings.
I like to use the color black as an accent, wrought iron being my favorite way to tie that in.

Here are 2 inexpensive and simple plate racks next to a wall hanging that my mom made. I chose 4 plates that matched it and I interchange them for a fresh look every few months. The other 2 plates are red and purple. I do green and red at Christmastime, purple and yellow and Easter, and so on. Gives the kitchen a nice new feel.
Hanging above my cook top are these wrought iron trivets. I didn't buy them to use them this way, but I just love how it fills in this gap. And, they weren't a real expensive way to decorate.
One of my favorite pieces of furniture is this wood rack in our laundry room that a good friend built for us. Our laundry room is directly across from the garage - its the first thing you see when you walk in from the garage. I wanted something to hang coats on as well as to be used for storage. This fits the bill! I got the idea from a Pottery Barn catalog and Duane did a wonderful job!
To give the kids' bedrooms a "personality" with the same brown walls, we picked carpet to match quilts my mom made them. Here is Quintin's room, before last week's spring cleaning.
And here is how it looks after we've moved his furniture. (I'm taking the below picture standing in the corner where the quilt hangs.)
Here is Elle's room (taken before she officially moved into this room. The bed had been against a wall, but I didn't have any good pictures of the room that way.)
And here is her room after changing it around last week.
Colin's room hasn't had much of a chance to develop its personality yet. We chose carpet colors before we were even expecting baby #3, so we went with a nice soft green. I plan to have my mom pair that green with cream and some dark browns for his quilt (No rush mom, you can relax!!)

Hanging in Colin's room right now is a wall hanging my mom did when I was pregnant with Quintin. I hope you've enjoyed this little peek into home and maybe you even got some new ideas. If you haven't posted anything for this carnival, I hope you'll think again about doing something - I'd love to see your ideas too!


Have a blessed weekend!


post signature

22 comments:

Andrea said...

I like that wall color too! I can't even think aboujt painting right now, though it would be the easiest way for me to feel like the house had a facelift.
B.t.w. - does Duane make furniture for a living? Or was the shelf just a gift for you? I looking for a bench for our kitchen table - can't fit all six of us with chairs!
Blessings,
Andrea

Mary@notbefore7 said...

That wall color is so perfect. EVERYTHING matches it!!!!

I have to find out who carries Benjamin Moore!

I love that shelf in the laundry room.

Black accents are great. I have a black antiqued wood entertainment unit and I love it. Rod iron rocks. Never thought of trivets on the wall - like that!

Great quilts for the kids.

Thanks for the tour! Thanks for participating.

weavermom said...

What fun!

I love the idea of the plates and that you can interchange them. What a great, simple idea to change things out with the seasons! :)

Tracy said...

I love your style, Leigh Ann!

Monica said...

I love your house! I love the color of your walls, neutral and easy to decorate with.

Short Stop said...

I love those trivets...have a set I use and have a set for the wall! :) Did you know I collect dessert plates? I had plate racks and hangers everywhere...bet you can guess which ones! ;)

The carpet to accent the quilts is a great idea...especially since they are handmade and special and you know the kids will always be using them.

I love the touches you've added to your house. Your personality is all over it from the pics that you've posted here and before!

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

I love the colors and the black accents! You have a very lovely home!

... said...

thanks for showing us some of your home. you have some great things to inspire us.

i really like the trivets on the wall. i'm going to look into that. and i love that wood shelf/rack you have in the laundry room. it's beautiful and so functional.

thanks for sharing and have a great weekend.

sahmqueen said...

Everything is so neat and tidy. I am envious. I enjoyed seeing your stuff. Love the black accents!

Christy. said...

I love the iron trivets....

Just Mom said...

Loving your design sense.
:-D

Kelli said...

Your home is very warm and inviting, Leigh Ann! I really love the color of your walls (it's similar to the color in our hall and schoolroom) and the black accents are perfect!
Hugs,
Kelli

Anonymous said...

How exciting to see that 'my guy' & his handy work made your blog! I never knew how tickled you were w/ that piece! Thanks for sharing his talents nationally.....& for not listing our number! LOL! Have $$....will work!

Lori said...

Love eveything in your home.

I espcially love the shelf(your friend built) with the baskets in it.

I also like the black accents (trivets) and wrought iron.

I love how you change your plate colors out with the seasons. Neat idea.

Thanks for showing us your home.

Have a great weekend, Lori

Jennifer@DoingTheNextThing said...

You have good taste - great looking house! I, too, love that wall color - I may have to go find it myself! I also like the wood finishes w/ black. Thanks for sharing!

Lisa said...

I love the wall color...sometimes I wish I'd gone the neutral route instead! It looks very calming, and your kids rooms are so cute!

E. Tyler Rowan said...

Your home is so lovely! I would have never thought of different carpet colors for the bedrooms.

I adore the plates that you can switch out with the seasons - that is a super idea and I'm going to steal it!

I'm also a big fan of the iron thingamabobs (how's that for technical) above the stove. Beautiful.

MorningSong said...

Love the paint choice!! LOVE the plate idea!! You are so smart! :) Truly a great trick!

Love the shelf and I just received those trivets this Friday! :) I participated in a barter night and traded for them. I pulled them out to use in the kitchen and decided I would rather use them on the wall. Great minds think alike!

Blessings!

MorningSong said...

By the way - I love the plate racks. Are they a SL piece?? If not where can I find something like that??

Blessings!

Kris said...

Wow, great colors and great ideas! I still can't find the color of our walls, but I don't think it's the same as yours...I'll keep looking ! Good luck on the Pepsi challenge!

Tara O said...

OH I like that wall color...I'll have to remember it when we get to Germany. I am hoping to be allowed to paint the walls there because I am sick of military white walls. bleck.....

I love all the color accents you have shared.

Jill said...

I love the wall color and I love Ben Moore paints! I've always found black to be very easy to decorate around/with. Many of my "designer" friends don't agree...but I love it.