May 31, 2008

Please vote

Parade magazine is running an article as to whether homeschooling should be illegal. Here is the article taken from parade.com.

In February, a California state appeals court ruled that unless parents have recognized teaching credentials, they must send their children to school. The judge, citing a state education law, said that “parents do not have a constitutional right to home-school their children.” Parents and politicians were outraged, and the court will rehear the case this month.

At stake is the education of the 166,000 California children who currently are home-schooled. But the court decision also could influence laws across the country. Nationwide, up to 2 million children are taught at home. Experts estimate that the number is increasing 7% to 12% a year.

“If upheld, the California ruling will send shock waves nationwide,” says Richard Kahlenberg, the author of a number of books on education. He says the case “pits those who believe parental rights are paramount against those who place a premium on well-educated citizens.”

Right now, only six states have strict regulations for home-schooling, usually requiring parents to have their curriculum approved, to show test scores and, in some places, to submit to home visits. Fourteen states, including California, mandate only that parents notify the state of their decision to home-school.

They are also running a poll: "Should parents need teaching credentials to home-school their kids?" Please go here to vote!

When this first happened, my brother/sister in law (T's sister, they also homeschool) sent this out, and I feel their words are so poignant that I wanted to include them:

California's ruling is a major power grab and victory for the public education system and teacher's union. Education is not the goal or they would embrace any method that works, public, private or home. Their goal is money, and power, and their next target is private school curriculum.

Even if you feel that home educating is not for you, remember that private school curriculum is the next thing to go (attempts are already being made in the courts to stop creationism curriculum).

This is a radical ruling and will have huge implications on the rights of all parents if it is not stopped.


Let's hope the court decides to change the ruling when they rehear it this month.

post signature

7 comments:

Susan said...

I've been watching this in the news and will go immediately and vote.

We need to make this a matter of SERIOUS prayer. Not only this issue, but how the government wants to get into every aspect of our lives and tell us how to live our lives when we must hear and obey God's direction for our lives.

Thank you for posting this, for one like me, who was not aware there was a place to vote my opinion.
Susan

Susan said...

PS - I just went and voted. It was 91% NO and only 9% yes, so far. YEAH!!!! Hear us loud and clear!!! The Bible is your teaching certificate!
Susan

Anonymous said...

In Texas you don't even need a teaching degree to teach in their public school, just a four year education in something. I can't say their schools (Dallas anyway) are doing such a great job.

I would rather have children at home with a parent who wants to teach and is driven to do so.

Short Stop said...

This makes me sad.

So many of my dearest friends homeschool, and I see them pouring their heart and souls into their children. And, to see their children flourishing and learning and growing by being taught at home is just a joy to watch.

I will go vote.

But, I'm not homeschooling! ;)

michelle said...

If this wins out it will be a very sad and scary day in history!

Just Mom said...

I voted.

I'll let you guess whether I voted "Yes" or "No."



;-)

Kari said...

I work in a public school, and let me tell you that just because a teacher has a teaching certificate, it does not mean they are a "teacher". I've worked with the best of the best, and the worst of the worst...