Wednesday morning found us at my parents' house and my mom was telling me of the Mediterranean Orzo they like to make. I copied the recipe and set out on a mission to have this be our first new kitchen adventure for 2010.
Yesterday morning, with all 3 kids in tow, we headed out on some errands. We started with a nice, long visit to the local library and stopped for groceries on the way home. Thursday mornings are the first day of the new sales featured on the sales fliers, so it was busy. I quickly tried to grab everything I needed and we headed out.
Knowing this wasn't a long, involved recipe (which made it all the more appealing) I set out to start supper and everything was going well.
I don't usually post recipes on this blog, but since I'm writing about it, I thought I'd add the recipe with pictures along the way. I don't enjoy taking pictures while cooking, or even blogging about the whole process - but this *was* a New Year's resolution! ;-D
Mediterranean Orzo with chicken
1 lb orzo, uncooked
3/4 lb chicken breast
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp garlic, minced
3/4 c jarred sun-dried tomatoes, drained, coarsely chopped (reserve 1/4 c oil from jar)
1 yellow pepper, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 tsp oregano
2 Tbsp parsley
1/4 c red wine vinegar
2 oz feta cheese, crumbled
salt and pepper, to taste
Heat oven to 350 (I use convection roast). Heat olive oil in cast iron pan over medium heat. Sprinkle black pepper and salt over both sides of chicken. Add to pan and cook for 5 minutes, turning halfway. Mmmm, raw chicken, purdy, huh?
Remove from cook top and place in oven for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat reserved sun-dried tomato oil in skillet. Add garlic, sun-dried tomatoes and peppers. Sauté until soft, about 5 to 10 minutes.
While draining the pasta, be sure to think ahead - which I obviously didn't do. We had a few casualties!
Take the chicken from the oven and slice.
Toss together hot orzo, cooked vegetables, seasonings, parsley, red-wine vinegar, chicken and feta cheese.
Makes 9 servings. **This recipe also calls for 1/4 c black olives, chopped, which I left out.
I was super excited about my new meal and that Quintin and Elle really seemed to enjoy it. Colin wasn't so excited (and neither was T) but Colin didn't have a nap and T has a sinus infection - so that doesn't count.
I'd never used orzo before - which is now OBVIOUS! Sweet Tracy let a comment on my cooking blog asking what pasta I used and I thought, well orzo, of course. I walked out to the pantry and realized that having 3 kids with me at the grocery store had taken its toll. I hadn't used orzo, I had used 'acini de pepe.' Thank you, Tracy, for not pointing out that I was totally confused about my orzo, since she picked up right away that it wasn't orzo! :-)
So, in my 'almost orzo' recipe, you can substitute acini de pepe if you like. ;-D
And that, my friends, will be the end of me taking pictures while preparing food!
11 comments:
This looks wonderful. Love the flavor combos.
"I don't enjoy taking pictures while cooking, or even blogging about the whole process..." (Me, either. LOL!!!)
Mmmmm that looks really good! I love trying new recipes (which I'm doing a lot of since we moved here).
Maybe it wasn't a "mistake" after all!
Susan
I agree with Susan.. and that's how NEW recipes are born! Just think... you can call it your own. I STILL think it looks and sounds yummy. (Except when I try it I'll leave the olives in!)
Ummmmm, Yum.
And, by the way, I heart feta.
BAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....
I LOVE how you showed a real kitchen -- outtakes and all. LOL!
Don't feel bad, I've lost pasta through colanders and have made inadvertent ingredient swaps before too. Just don't tell anyone. ;-D
Oh! Yes, raw chicken. Yummy. LOL!
great resolution. it will fun at the end of the year to look back and look at all the new recipes you tried and liked.
i have eaten orzo but have never personally cooked it. maybe i should be making some resolutions of my own =)
Hey, I never heard of either pasta so you did great by me!
Don't people just eat boxed Mac and Cheese when they want pasta??? That's my idea of pasta, LOL I could do a blog post if you like ;)
Ha ha...before I got to the end of your post, I thought, "that's not orzo!" I was pulling my laptop up to my face to examine closer and make sure I was correct. Oh well!
This looks like it's right up our alley. I may have to try this one.
Congrats on the big Cowboy win. I watched a bit of it. My Memphis Tigers were scrapping it out at the same time, so I tuned in there.
PS - I'm not on FB. Only Twitter.
PS again -- I LOVE sports banter!
That sounds good! I'll have to try it. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment