January 26, 2009

I think I'm crazy!!

A few weeks ago, my good friend Just Mom went on a family vacation to Hawaii. Sounds great in the middle of winter, doesn't it? That would be my kind of vacation!!

This past week, while blogger posted our family's favorite new recipes, I was on vacation too - 400 miles away - in Vermont - not quite a warm Hawaiian vacation.

Sometimes, I think I'm nuts to go to a colder destination for vacation.

But then, you see the man you love and your firstborn ski down the slopes together - and your heart quivers. You see your daughter strap on ski boots for the first time and you choke back a little tear. A sport that I have enjoyed with my hubby since he taught me to ski when we began dating - 16 years ago. And now, our children are learning to love to ski - and I just picture the vacations ahead of us, with everyone strapped into skis and skiing down the slopes together.

Warm vacations are nice, I know - but the warmth in my heart while watching my hubby teach our children to ski - watching my kids ski with their cousins - and having a wonderful time with family - melted away and cold, frigid temperatures we may have experienced in Vermont. Am I crazy? You bet - crazy in love with my family!!

I apologize for the shakiness - I mean, I *was* skiing! ;-D The wind gets a little loud too when I had to speed up to catch up to Quintin!




(She looks thrilled, doesn't she? This was on our way in for lunch.
No one gets in between this girl and her food, ahem, just lik e her mommy!)


post signature

13 comments:

Lynn said...

Awesome! My idea of a great winter vacation is me in a lodge by the fire with a good book intermingled with various spa treatment while Patrick has all little people outdoors enjoying the adventures of snow and skiing. In a few years...

Susan said...

What an awesome video of Quintin sking. He looks so little!!!! The picture of the two in ski's and the protective brother with his sister is too precious. You are one awesome family!!!!
Susan

Kristina said...

That is so cute! You have such a beautiful family! :)

Just Mom said...

WHY ARE YOU HOLDING A CAMERA WHILE SKIING?! YOU COULD HAVE FALLEN AND BROKEN A HAND, AND THEN HOW WOULD WE CHAT?! UGH!!

;)


I actually do love the video footage. It feels as if I'm skiing, which is something I've always wanted to learn how to do.

Short Stop said...

HOW COOL that you captured that on video. His tiny little bod skiing down that mountian - SO precious!

I'm so glad y'all had such a good time! Though, I'm with Lynn - keep me in the lodge with my hot chocolate and a blanket.

BTW, it's cold and snowy here. You could plan your next destination vacation for my house! :)

Tracy said...

I have only skiied once in my life and I ate more snow than I care to admit.

It does look fun though! Maybe I should try it again sometime...

I said...maybe.

:)

Monica said...

Way to go Quinton!

All I could think was- terrifying! Last time I attempted to ski, I got off the lift, peered down the hill, took off my skis and proceeded to slide down the hill on my butt.

Jen said...

Sounds like fun!!! I live in these frigid temps so it wouldn't bother me to strap on some skii boots, that is until I hit a tree or something! I think I will stick to snow tubing but glad you all had a great time!!!

... said...

what? did you rent out the mountain for yourself? where are all the other skiiers?

just think how good Q and the other kids will be be by the time they're teenagers. just think about Q in the future teaching his girlfriend how to ski.

life is good.

Lori said...

What a fun family vacation.
We have never gone skiing.

Lori said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
michelle said...

I get the same look Elle has when I ski! I wish I would have learned when I was small as I think you appreciate it so much more. Usually I'm just too cold to enjoy it.

Looks like you guys are having a ball...I am sure your kids will have great memories of skiing with the fam!

Anonymous said...

That is precious memories there. I love the picture of big brother with little sister. They will have this love for skiing for their life and such great family memories too! Thanks for sharing the video. Loved it.