January 20, 2009

A Tasteful Week: Pizza

I've always wanted to try to make a pizza from scratch, but never took the time to look for one and always found it easier to use the purchased packets of mix and sauce.

That was until my friend, http://mylifeasannie.com/, posted a recipe she had just tried. She said her family raved about it - her hubby even suggested she open a pizza shop. So, I just had to try it - and it was delicious! I had all ingredients on hand - my favorite kind of recipe!


Pizza Crust
1 tbsp active dry yeast
1 cwarm water (105 to 115 degress F)
1 tsp sugar1 tsp salt
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 1/2 c flour
Dissolve the yeast in the water. Add the rest of the ingredients in and mix. Dump onto a floured surface. Knead into a smooth dough (five minutes or so). Roll out and press down onto a greased pizza pan. Add some pizza sauce and your toppings. Bake at 450 degress F for around 12-15 minutes until the crust looks crispy and lightly browned. Dough can also be frozen as well.

Pizza Sauce
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1/2 c water
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp olive oil
1-2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
post signature

12 comments:

Valerie said...

Just wondering, do you have to let the dough rise first?
I'm always on the lookout for a good pizza recipe.
We are actually going to have pizza for dinner tonight. I just might have to try this one.
Thanks!


Valerie (formerly posted as Foxy5)

Tracy said...

Pizza sounds so good right now...YUM!!

Although pizza from scratch sounds like too much work. :(

Monica said...

did you know you could get dough balls at the deli counter at Weis? That is what I do. I think they're actually from Ninos.

Renee said...

sounds yummy! about 2 years ago I started making my own crust and the family likes it much better then store bought crusts. I’ve never made my own sauce though – have to give it a try. :-)

Kristina said...

Wow, that looks good! I hate dieting!!! But maybe if it's homemade I can steal just one slice, right??

Susan said...

I saw that on Annie's. Looks good. We are not too much Pizza eaters here at our house.
Susan

Anonymous said...

I got some pizza pans with holes in them and the crust is even better! Glad you liked it! I really like the sauce too, better than just using spaghetti sauce out of a jar :)

... said...

i used to make homemade pizza occasionally when the kids were young but haven't in years. it's just easier to go out and buy one =)

Just Mom said...

Can I just order out?

Lori said...

We love homemade pizza at our home. It is the best.

Anonymous said...

My girls make their own pizzas. I've tried years ago, but never had a recipe that I liked. I am all about trying this one. I have to be so careful about ordering out because of what's in the sauce. This is just perfect!!!!

Once again, why don't you live next door? You could teach me so many things.

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Except the whole point of pizza night in this house is mommy NOT having to cook ;)

BUT we are making english muffin pizzas this week so that i can try your sauce.

I lack so many kitchen tools I am learning - food processor, rice masher... :)