November 25, 2008

Homeschool Open House

Home School Open House

Tammy is hosting a "Homeschool Open House" today. I'd like to invite you into our homeschool room today and let you know what we've been up to for the past 5 months...yep, you read that right, we started school in July - it was really hot and I figured while we are inside, let's start. We've taken some breaks along the way, but we are more than halfway through our second quarter.
**Each "title" of the products I've listed below are links and will take you to different websites showing you the actual products.



This is where we "do" school. The orange chair is mine and Quintin sits to the right of me, which works because he is left-handed. I have a huge metal basket on the table that houses most of our books. As you can see, our bookshelves are full to bursting as well. We certainly need to incorporate some more organization and storage in this room....it will come!

We are still working our way through the Weaver Curriculum's Volume 1. We are currently in chapter 9 studying money and stewardship. Weaver covers Bible, Science, Social Studies, Language Arts, Health, Field Trips and Memory Verses.

We use RightStart Math and guess what our current study is??? Money - yep, these are two individual curriculums and God's divine planning never ceases to amaze me that we are studying money in both programs at the same time!!

I've incorporated an additional Bible Study program into our time because the lessons in Weaver are a little above Quintin's understanding. While we discuss those themes, I like using this other program to learn more Bible stories. We've been working our way through the New Testament using the Explorer's Bible Study "Bible Foundations."

We continue to use Spell to Write and Read as our foundational phonics program. I am very pleased with his progress in this area and his love of reading. I've also introduced The Well-Trained Mind's "First Language Lessons" as a supplemental language program. It is a scripted guide and each lesson is very short. I really enjoy the poem memorization that is part of it.

We throw in all sorts of other activities that we see from TV programs or magazines. My goal is just to keep it interesting and engaging...not just for Quintin, but for his brother and sister too. They often join us at the table, if only for a few minutes, but they are still there - and I want them to see it being fun so that they continue to come back.

Thank you Tammy for hosting this. Since this is the first time I'm participating, I wanted to do an introduction to our school. I hope to post more specific activities in the future!!


post signature

14 comments:

Just Mom said...

You started in July ... hmmm ... That means Quintin could be ready to start junior high next fall. Wow!


;-D

Susan said...

As I've said many times, I so admire all you Home Schooling Moms!!
Susan

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

What a great looking school room you have! It's very neat! We end up schooling all over the house!

I love peeping into the homes of fellow homeschoolers! Isn't it such a blessing to share this learning adventure with our kids?

Thanks for sharing with us!

Have a great Thanksgiving week!
Tammy

Monica said...

Keep up the great work!

Tammy said...

Leigh Ann, thank you so much for joining in this time!
I really loved seeing this overview of how you do school! Your classroom looks so inviting...we end up doing most of ours on the dining room table but organization is always a challenge for us!
I also loved seeing what curriculum you use...I clicked on "Spell to Write and Read" and that looks intriguing to me since we're still working with my youngest learning to read and write.

When she was in preschool, she loved to join her big sister with schooling too- even for just a few minutes, so that brought back memories!

Thanks again for joining in- great job! :D

groovyoldlady said...

Oooooo. A homeschool room! We just have a homeschool "table", but it works for us.

It's always fun to see how someone else "does" school. :)

Tara O said...

Very cool...loved seeing your school space. You can see mine (dining room table) on our first day of school post!

retha said...

A whole room just for learning, that sounds very organised! I struggle to just get all our writings filled and kept organised.

Anonymous said...

LOVE the amount of space you have! :o)

... said...

i can now picture you and your little ones while doing school. i'm sure elle is wanting to start being a "student."

one of the advantages of home schooling is the flexibility. i think it's great that you started in july. that obviously worked with your schedule. and you can take time off when you need it.

Mandy said...

Hi there! Nice to meet another fellow homeschooler. I love your room. We sort of have school everywhere, so we don't have a designated room!

Mandy

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Oh fun - I'll have to go see the tour! I am glad that you like First Language Lessons - we are debating that and Shurley Grammar for next year....HMMMMM....

Looks like a GREAT year!

Andrea said...

We started in Aug and feel like we've been at it for a while. The breaks help though.
Still using FLL (although I trying to keep it light since Jason doesn't sem to like grammar too well - you should've seen him struggle to come up with adjectives today!) and still loving RightStart math. Subtraction if the first subject that he's started to struggle slightly with but their games are an awesome help!

We are using Explorers Bible study also this year! I like that he can do it on his own and I try to add a few simple things (coloring sheets or timeline pages) to cement some lessons (only when I have time though - things seems crazy hectic around here!).

Love your school room and am super jealous of the space and wall space that you have! It looks so comfy! Keep up the good work, girl!

Andrea

Anonymous said...

Aha! so you've been doing SWR for some time...good to know! :)