| Your Linguistic Profile: |
| 60% General American English |
| 15% Dixie |
| 15% Yankee |
| 5% Upper Midwestern |
| 0% Midwestern |
Last week, after my post when I was a little caffeine-crazed, a few people shared what they call caffeinated beverages. I call it soda. If you want Pepsi - you ask for Pepsi - if you want Coke - you ask for Coke. On the western side of the state, they call it pop.
Awhile ago, Julieann posted a "chatter" post asking what people call this:
I began to think about some phrases I use that people have asked me about. I've mentioned before that I still live in the same county I was born in, so going off to college was the first time I heard different phrases than I was used to. And the college I went to is just one county away.
1. One of my college roommates was from Philadelphia and she was often confused by my choice of words. One thing that sticks out in particular was if I was going somewhere and wanted to invite her, I would say, "You coming with?"
She was always like "with......?"
"With me?"
"You coming with?" sounds fine to me, any thoughts?
2. Also, while at college, I was doing an end of semester assignment and teaching a High School PE lesson in lacrosse to my classmates. I instructed them to "Go and pick up your sticks awhile." My professor questioned me, "Awhile what, Leigh Ann?"
"Awhile I wait here as you get them?" I asked, trying to sound sure of myself.
Again, sounds fine to me.
3. I can remember my mom telling me they would say "Outen the lights" to mean turn off the lights. I simply say, turn off the lights.
So I'm curious if you've picked up anything in my writing that is different or makes you wonder, what does that mean? Below is a little quiz. I look forward to reading your answers, feel free to explain. See you in the comments...that is where my answers will be.
1. What do you call a) the noon meal and b) the evening meal?
2. What is this called?
3. What do you call a long sandwich made with deli meats and cheeses?
4. What word(s) do you use to address a group of two or more people?
5. What do you call a sale of unwanted goods on your porch, in your yard, etc?
Thanks for letting me use your idea Julieann.
26 comments:
1a lunch
1b dinner or supper
2 pizza
3 sub
4 guys
5 garage sale or yard sale
TYour Linguistic Profile:
55% General American English
15% Yankee
10% Dixie
10% Upper Midwestern
5% Midwestern
This is what I scored on that quiz.
Rather surprised me. I thought I'd be more Dixie. Guess I don't talk as Southern as my accent:o)
I answered all your questions like you except for the sub I said Hero.
Fun as always.
1 -lunch
-supper if it's at home.... dinner if it's eaten out..? why...I have no idea!
2 Pizza
3 sub
4 you guys
5 garage sale usually but sometimes yard sale...I've wondered before how you decide which is which... (c:
ps...
my English isn't American at all!! lol...
It's "Canadian" English!
Love the new header with the kids sweet pictures :)
My answers...
1a- lunch
1b- supper
2- pizza
3- sub
4- hmm, um probably the same as Heather you guys?
5- garage sale even if its not in the garage (its a Canadian thing)
:)
Hugs,
candy
70% General American English
10% Upper Midwestern
5% Dixie
5% Midwestern
5% Yankee
Is this an Oxymoron... or however that word is spelled...
I speak a mixture of "American" and I'm not American...?
I live above Washington State...do my results coincide with that?
1a lunch my parents and in-laws dinner
1b dinner my parents and in-laws supper
2 pizza
3 po-boy
4 y'all
5 garage sale
I took that quiz before and I think I was 99% or 100% Dixie although people from the north say my accent sounds more like I am from Boston. I think it is the New Orleans in me.
Oh no! I'm losing my Dixie! :) At least no "yankee" has snuck in there! he he
Here are my results to the quiz:
Your Linguistic Profile:
70% General American English
25% Dixie
0% Midwestern
0% Upper Midwestern
0% Yankee
Questions:
1. "Dinner" is the big meal of the day. I ususally say lunch and supper, but when I do say "dinner" I usually mean supper.
2. I can't see the picture, but I call pizza, pizza.
3. Sub sandwich
4. Well, I say "guys" because I've learned to - but that y'all sneaks out sometimes still. :)
5. Yard sale or garage sale.
This was fun! Love the buggy post picture - you'll have to take another one with the buggy there. :)
And I love the new header too.
Fun post thanks for sharing.
This is what I scored on the quiz:
65% General American English
10% Upper Midwestern
10% Yankee
5% Midwestern
0% Dixie
I'm not Dixie at all.
1. I've said you coming with me before. It sounds fine to me.
2. I've also said awhile.
3. I've never said outen the lights. I've always said turn off the lights.
1. Lunch(growing up on a farm we called the noon meal dinner).
Supper.
2. Pizza
3. Sub
4. You guys
5. Garage sale.
I love this post!!! I have to say I'm with you on all your answers. And the ones up in your post- they all made sense to me too. I think you must have been around some English Majors or something. :)
By the way, I love your new site look. Your kids are adorable!
1a) Lunch
1b) Supper
2) Pizza
3) Hoagie
4) You guys
5) Yard Sale or Garage Sale
I guess I pretty much answer like everyone else. I do use the word "henna" alot. Henna or no?
My answers were the same as yours!
I did the other test too and here is what I ended up with!
55% General American English
30% Yankee
5% Dixie
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern
1 a. Lunch (some here is SD call it "Dinner")
1 b. Dinner (some here call it "Supper")
2. Yummy. jk. Pizza.
3. Sub
4. Guys
5. Garage sale.
Linguistic Profile:
60% Gen. American English
20% Upper Midwestern
10% Midwestern
5% Yankee
My answers were like yours except we never refer to the evening meal anything other than dinner.
This was fun, check out who has your name...go to penofjen.blogpsot.com
Very interesting post! And I love your new header! I wish I knew how to customize mine! I may break down and pay for a redesign one day!
I'm from Mississippi and I've never heard of "Are you going with?". I'd be asking the same thing as your room mate! LOL
I also call shopping carts a buggy.
I've never heard of "outen the lights".
But where I'm from, we're guilty of saying "fixen to", like I'm fixen to go to the store! LOL
And to answer your questions:
1. A noon meal is lunch.
The evening meal is supper.
2. Pizza
3. A deli sandwich is a sub sandwich.
4. Y'all
5. If a sale is set up in the garage it's a garage or car-port sale. If it's spread into the yard, it's a yard sell. LOL
Also, I call all sodas "cokes" until it's time to order or buy one and I'll say the actual name brand.
Have a great weekend!
I LOVE your header, too~ how did you do that??
Mine are:
1) lunch, dinner
2) pizza
3) sub
4)guys or girls
5)garage or yard sale
Fun post!
1)lunch, except on Sunday, then it is supper
2)dinner
3)pizza
4)you all, not YA'll!
5)yard sale
Your profile sounds like you are pretty much the all around american!
First, thanks for visiting my blog. It was nice to hear from you!
My answers are:
1a dinner
1b supper
2 pizza
3 sub
4 guys
5 rummage sale (sometimes garage sale)
By the way, around here we call Coke, Pepsi etc--Pop...My brother on the other side of SD calls it soda.
I made the header in MS Publisher and then added it as a page element. I learned how to do that by doing a google search.
1. lunch. In Canada, the evening meal is called supper.
2. Pizza
3. sub
4 all y'alls? :0) I say "you guys" too.
5. garage or yard sale.
Everyone here in Texas says Soda but in Canada (where I'm from) we say Pop.
When we lived in South Dakota we heard "are you coming with" and I used to say the same thing as your friend. LOL
What a fun post!
Kelli
1. lunch and supper
2. pizza
3. subs
4. ya'll
5. yard sale
Oh goodness. I guess ya'll know where I'm from. ;o)
My quiz score was:
55% General American English
15% Dixie
10% Upper Midwestern
10% Yankee
5% Midwestern
I was a little surprised since I lived in Iowa for 28 years and have been in Atlanta for 11.
1a. Growing up it was called dinner. Now I call it lunch.
2b. Growing up it was called supper. Now it's dinner.
2. pizza
3. sub
4. y'all
5. garage sale
This was fun! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to have my husband take the quiz.
You have such a cute and fun blog. Hope you don't mind but I'm going to add you to my Google reader. :o) It's nice to find other homeschooling moms with the same *spunk* I have! :o)
My Answers:
1~ lunch ... dinner
2~ pizza
3~ sub
4~ y'all
5~ yard sale
Nighty Night!
Cool post...I see I am a little behind on reading and commenting. It sounds like my answers are about the same as everyone else's. My husband's family in Michigan call the carts at a store...a buggy. I just laugh at that. And to tie horses up at a store. That would be cool to see! Do people leave the horses alone?!?!?
Tracy, I just cracked up at your question - I actually never thought about it. But the horses and buggies are always left unattended (unless maybe some children stay in while mom goes shopping). I've never heard of anyone taking the buggy - but I guess someone always could. It would be hard to do, though, because if you don't look Amish and you jump into a buggy - someone is going to notice!
Post a Comment