April 16, 2007

Mrs. Goodnest

A mom was concerned about her Kindergarten son walking to school. He didn't want his mother to walk with him. She wanted to give him the feeling that he had some independence, but yet know that he was safe.

So, she had an idea of how to handle it. She asked a neighbor if she would please follow him to school in the mornings, staying at a distance, so he probably wouldn't notice her.

She said that since she was up early with her toddler anyway, it would be a good way for them to get some exercise as well, so she agreed.

The next school day, the neighbor and her little girl set out following behind Timmy as he walked to school with another neighbor boy he knew. She did this for the whole week.

As the boys walked and chatted, kicking stones and twigs, Timmy's little friend noticed the same lady was following them as she seemed to do every day all week. Finally, he said to Timmy, "Have you noticed that lady following us to school all week? Do you know her"?

Timmy nonchalantly replied, "Yeah, I know who she is."

The friend said, "Well, who is she"?

"That's just Shirley Goodnest," Timmy replied. "And her daughter Marcy."

"Shirley Goodnest? Who the heck is she and why is she following us"?

"Well," Timmy explained. "Every night, my mom makes me say the 23rd Psalm with my prayers, because she worries about me so much. And in the Psalm, it says, 'Shirley Goodnest and Marcy shall follow me all the days of my life,' so I guess I'll just have to get used to it!"

May "Shirley Goodnest" and "Marcy" be with you, today and always.

28 comments:

Diana said...

What a sweet story! I always enjoy those kind of stories, thanks for the smiles!

Pen of Jen said...

How cute! I will read this one to my husband! Thank you:)

TO BECOME said...

Great story! I remember when my oldest son started walking to school at 5.Too, young even though it was just a few blocks. I went with him the first week and the second, I told him how long it took and I would expect him to be home in so many minuets. The second day he was late. I nearly died, grabbing my other two children up and went to look for him. He had turned two blocks too soon but I will never forget the feelings I had when he wasn't there. I am sure he will never forget his mom and two brothers coming towards him all three crying. lol. I am glad that was never repeated. Soon after that I learned to drive then I took them all until they were old enough to drive themselves in high school. connie from Texas

Susan said...

Yes!!! Look behind me and you'll see surely goodness and mercy follow me! Such a cute story.

Trella said...

That is the funniest and sweetest story! I can't stop smiling!

Lori said...

That is a cute story. Thanks for sharing. I think I've heard that before.

Anonymous said...

LOL! Oh how precious!!! :o) I'm gonna have to send this to my husband! These stories are just too adorable.

~ Amy ~ said...

Good one!

Just Mom said...

That is sooooo cute. How do you come up with these great stories?

Anonymous said...

Oh Leigh Ann, This is definitly one of my favorite postings. Such a funny and cute story. I loved it!!!! :)
Big hugs,
Candy

Tracy said...

CUTE, CUTE!!!

Momma Roar said...

I always thought this was a cute story too! I'm glad so many of you liked it!

Aisha, I stay up very late working on these stories ;) ok, they're emails I get and keep because they're cute!

Karen said...

Oh that's just too cute!! I'm going to show my hubby, too.

Just Mom said...

What?! You don't come up with these yourself?! The Academy should revoke that Thinking Blogger award. Ha ha. Just KIDDING. :-D

Teresa said...

Thanks for making me smile today! :)

Anna said...

Oh, that's good for a giggle. I love how they hear things differently. Makes me realize how strange our language can be sometimes!

Momma Roar said...

sniff...sniff...I'm bowing my head in shame, Aisha ;-(

Julieann said...

AHHHH!!! I love it--what a precious story:) Thank you so much for sharing it--I also want to say, I so enjoy your sweet comments on my blog--they always make me smile:)

Julieann:)

Anonymous said...

Birthday Meme tag, your tagged.

Jenn said...

too funny - I checked out your blog this morning because I saw YOUR link on Jennifer's blog - lol! I've got you bookmarked :)

Anonymous said...

How cute!!

Rita Loca said...

I may have to borrow this! It's great!

Kelli said...

That is the sweetest story, Gina!!!
Kelli

Kelli said...

Ugh, before I go bury my head in the sand please accept my apologies for calling you Gina. *blush*

Kelli

Anonymous said...

I had to send my oldest off to school with surely goodness and mercy. On her first day she told me that tomorrow would be a lot more fun because I would have to stay at home :( Ouch, way to stab a mother's heart! I knew then that prayer would be taking my place from that day on.

Tammy said...

I read this before but had forgotten it...and it was so good to read again! :)

Tracy said...

This is so great! Nice to meet you, Momma Roar! I'll be back...

Ruth said...

I LOVE that story! Thanks for sharing!!