October 6, 2009

Railroad Fieldtrip

Each of the kids participated in the library's summer reading program earning a coupon to ride a train at the local railroad station.  We also used this as bait for Colin to be potty trained.  He was very eager to ride a train and he did a great job to earn his reward.  That was two months ago and the coupons expired at the end of this month, so we decided to go yesterday.  It was a gorgeous day and T even took a few hours off of work to join us.   I'll add that I had kept the coupons on the counter since the end of summer and last week I decided to organize.  I was so organized I forgot where I had put them.  We left for the ride without the coupons and then I found them last night. LOL!!!
The ride took us through lots of the Amish countryside around us and the views were very pretty.  I don't get to enjoy them as I rush past in the business of our everyday. 







And, we're off...








Passing the time while the engine hooks up to the other end of the train to pull us back.





I felt like such a tourist snapping pictures of the Amish and their farms!



It was a great time!  Even though I left the coupons for a free ride at home!
post signature

11 comments:

Just Mom said...

OK, for some reason I keep expecting to see pineapple fields.... ;-D

Beautiful countryside, LA. It looks as if it was a beautiful day too.

Susan said...

Oh what fun!!! Mickey & I would have loved that.

Sorry you left the free coupons :o(
What a bummer.

Susan

michelle said...

Totally something I would do...forget what I did with the coupons.

Fun outing.

Jen said...

Look at it this way.....now you can go for another ride!!! ;o) That looks great and what fun for the kids. I loved seeing the picture of the Amish people. We don't have any around here. The only ones I ever see are in the movies. What a great memory for the kids.

Zaankali said...

What a fun idea.

Tracy said...

What beautiful pictures LA!

Anonymous said...

Took L&A on their first train ride at about C&E's age. They never forgot it! Jen and I took her first ride for school when she was about 5 years old. Those were great times.

Now when we ride the train in Chicago I'm the excited one acting like a kid. I think it's so fun to hop the train instead of driving (unless you've walked downtown with sore feet for miles and then hit the train to find it's full and you need to stand the entire way back to the kids house, ugh.)

LOVE the photos!!!!!!!!!!!

... said...

sounds like a great time. and what wonderful photo ops.

Lynn said...

hmmm...that looks an awful lot like the countryside Adeline saw with her daddy a few weeks ago. ;o) Did you see Thomas?

Susan said...

Just gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.

Short Stop said...

What great pics!! I especially love the one of the three of them in the aisle. SO cute!

Looks like a great time. The boys would have LOVED that!