August 10, 2009

I'm a bowl of mush...

Why does it bring a tear when I see the newly pulled tooth of my 7 year old and think about the excitement when it first pushed through his gums 6 years ago?

Why do I chuckle when I look at my daughter, fast asleep, sprawled across her double bed and think she's just like me?

What is it about my littlest man's growing independence in wearing "unnerwear" and his buzz cut which has really made him look older?  And he is saying so much - full sentences and sounding so clear.

We are at that stage where we don't really have a baby anymore - he's a toddler moving onto preschooler ... and fast.

Last night T and I had an opportunity to have dinner out together, by ourselves.  We had a babysitter here, planning to go to Bible study and storms and a power outage at a friends' house changed our plans.  So we were had a date night and sat across from one another in one of our favorite restaurants, enjoying some buffalo wings. 

And I said to T, if I could make time stop, now would be the moment I would choose.  With the kids the ages they are.  He told me I can't, and I understand, but I know time is going to keep slipping away so quickly and I am trying my hardest to enjoy each and every minute that we have.  I feel like my children are too young to think like this - them being 7, 4, and 2.  If I've learned anything from the older and wiser women in my life (you know who you are), it is the fact that time doesn't slow down, for anyone.

From one of my favorite movies, Ferris Bueller: "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

I'm making sure to look around and not miss it.
post signature

11 comments:

Short Stop said...

It *does* just go by way too quickly. *sigh*

It makes me all weepy, too. :(

Lisa H said...

I said that exact same thing this week. I would freeze time right now too...my kids are 6, 4 and 2. It is just so fun, and the way they interact with each other and the world around them is so precious!!!

It really just reminds me to stop what I'm doing and just enjoy my kids more often. :)

weavermom said...

Amen! :)

Brandi said...

I keep getting reminders this Summer, too. My oldest (14dd) just passed a new milestone on her journey to becoming a woman this last week. My husband has been reminding me that next Summer we'll have two in high school (planning ahead for a family camp). This morning I looked at my baby, and saw a maturing big boy. My BABY will be five in Dec.!

Just Mom said...

I'm a bowl of mush too.

Susan said...

I don't think you are missing one single moment, Leigh Ann!!!!
Susan

... said...

the problem with freezing the moment or time is that you'd miss out on all the memorable stuff still to happen. and there will be plenty of it.

all you can do is enjoy the ride =)

Lynn said...

And we love sharing every stage right along with you.

Not sure I would want to lock anyone at age 2 though....I keep telling myself the tantrums will not always be daily....sigh.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jean said...

I remember those exact thoughts. Often when I was reading to our three at bedtime (with our teenage foster daughter sprawled out on the floor, listening as well), I would think the words of Laura Ingalls Wilder at the end of the first Little House book: "This is now. It can never be a long time ago."

But alas, it is indeed a long time ago.

Tara O said...

HMPH....whathca talkin' about Vern. I don't know about your littlest man (whom I know is younger than em) but my 4 year old is a baby. just don't ask HER. (shes told me she was woman the other day)