August 17, 2009

It's Monday, are you ready?

It's almost 8:30.

In half an hour, my parents will be here and we'll be getting started on this...


It's been 3 years since I've done any corn to freeze. 3 years ago - it was the summer of 2006 and I was 5 months pregnant with Colin...and for some unknown reason (nesting, perhaps) I was feeling energetic enough to do 16 dozen ears of corn. by. myself. The burn-out lasted three years ;-D. This year, I've enlisted my parents!! We'll work together to husk, cut, sauté and maintain some control over the 3 kiddos that will inevitably take over the house until we've worked our way through the maze maize. ;-D

Today, I'm starting with 10 dozen ears for our family and then I'll gauge if I want to do anymore - and I'll have to gauge the space in my freezer!!

Do you freeze corn or any other summer veggies?

I've done corn by cooking it first and then cutting of the cob. But in the last few years, I started by cutting it off and then sautéing it in a fry pan with butter, adding some salt and pepper while it cooks. I prefer it this way, as I use a lot of the corn in soups and stews and it seems to be more crisp coming out of the bag. My aunt does her corn in a crock pot. What's your method?


post signature

5 comments:

Monica said...

I get it from my mom, or open a can.

Susan said...

"Many hands make work light." Glad you have 3 pair of hands. Oh my, makes my mouth water!!!
Susan

weavermom said...

Is that the actual corn?? - 'cuz that is gorgeous!! I love fresh corn in the summer. Peaches-n-cream is my favorite, but I've never put any away - too scared to, I guess. I hate the frozen corn at the supermarket.

... said...

i love corn. but i have never froze any so i have no method. but i love summer eatin' it.

michelle said...

My method...I head over to the frozen food section of the supermarket. hee!