June 29, 2009

Campin'

This weekend was our church's annual Family Camping Weekend at a camping area about 35 minutes from home. T grew up going here with his family, and we've made it a tradition since we're married.

Last year, we didn't get to go because T was deep into a building project at work. In 2007, T camped with Quintin. The little ones and I spent the day with them, but we came home to sleep. In '06, we all went - but Elle was 18 months old and I was pregnant with Colin. So, we knew this year would be very different. And it was, but it was also a lot of fun.

If you've camped, you know how much work it can be - but if you enjoy the outdoors, it is really worth it.

The other 51 weeks of the year, I'm glad we have a tent because it stores so easily. Then that one remaining week - right before we leave - I'm wishing we had a camper!!!

We have a really nice site, except during the afternoons, when the sun just lays on the tent.
Not so nice when little ones are trying to nap. It was so hot inside the tent - but they did get a good nap in. They were up until 11 both nights - they needed this little rest to get them there! There were marshmallows to roast and s'mores to make! YUM!
Below, this plays a key role in helping our kids sleep. It gets cool enough in the nighttime, but we run the fan for the noise.
The kids slept in until 8am each morning - that's better than they do at home!
There's plenty to do...
fishing with cousins.
Boating. Notice who is holding the paddles! ;-D
We colored pictures and played Farkle.
Checking out what another cousin has caught and is now showing to everyone as he carries it around his neck...*shudder*
It was a great weekend filled with lots of memories. At one point, Quintin asked if we could live up there.
As Sunday afternoon rolled around, we tore down and everyone was tired. So thankful it is just a 35 minute drive home!!!

post signature

16 comments:

Just Mom said...

"We colored pictures and played Farkle."

ROFL! ;-D


LOVE that last shot of the kids on their sleeping bags next to the car.

Lisa H said...

That last picture is my favorite, too. Everyone is totally wiped out!

I love camping too! So much fun!

Andrea said...

Yep, camping IS a lot of work but generally a good time! We go camping once each summer (although the kids would like to go more) and they're getting antsy...we'll probably go in August.

They were pooped by the end of the weekend! Too funny!!

Tracy said...

Is that snake alive?????????? OH.MY!

Christy. said...

That last one was SO funny! I am sure that is just how you felt too!

Shirley said...

Snake - yuck! That made me shudder, too!
Looks like you guys had a great time and made lots of memories. I agree - it's a lot of work, but worth it for the joy it brings the kids.
Um - I know a camper you can HAVE in a few months :)

Susan said...

Memories for sure.
Susan

... said...

ha! i love that last picture. actually, i loved all the pictures because i love camping so much and i could smell the trees and the campfire, i could hear the birds and happy children, i could taste the s'mores, ... i could experience a little of your weekend just through those pics.

i'm glad you all had such a good time.

krista said...

We were camping this last weekend too! It's a 30+ year Stauffer family tradition that has become nearly an artform. :o)

If you haven't checked out the pictures on my aunt's blog yet, I'll be posting some on mine later this week.

Andrea said...

Oh how I wish we were camping! I can smell the outdoors just from your pics! It's just the best family time, isn't it? Added bonus that it tired out the kids enough that they sleep well!

Lynn said...

Amazing pictures, LA. What great memories for you and your kids. I am more of a weekend camper. I love it, but that is enough for me. Oh, and I don't do sleeping bags. My feet need a way of escape.

Lori said...

It looks like you had a wonderful time camping. Great pictues.

Jean said...

We were camping this past weekend too, at Camp Hebron with all the Stauffers. Your tent looks almost exactly like ours.

Someone saw a snake this weekend, but God mercifully protected me from seeing any.

michelle said...

You make camping actually look fun. hee!!

Mary@notbefore7 said...

LOVE this! I grew up camping and it still holds great memories for me.

They look wiped out!!!

We have a huge tent just waiting to be used soon ;)

weavermom said...

Looks like so much fun! I want to go camping!