February 2, 2009

A special gift

10 years ago, I was a first year teacher in a city elementary school. Learning the ropes as a young teacher and spreading my wings away from my college professors.

I was teaching in a wonderful school, full of great kids and terrific teachers.

My principal assigned a mentor to me. Usually, the mentor teaches in the same school as the new teacher, but my principal had a close friend in our district, teaching Phys. Ed. in another elementary school. She was my mentor. We got along well, but she was at a different location so it made it difficult when I had questions pertaining to my school.

I became friends with one of the first grade teachers, Maddie, who was bubbly and loved to laugh. I hung out in her room before the school day started. She was also very good friends with one of the 5th grade teachers. This 5th grade teacher, Sharon, was more quiet, but also loved to laugh and have fun. These two wonderful women became my go-to people for questions about school.

In either my first or second year teaching there, Maddie became pregnant with her 4th child and decided to stay at home following his birth. I missed Maddie when she left, but it allowed me to get to know Sharon even more.

In 2001, when I became pregnant with Quintin and announced I would not be returning after his birth, I had already been referring to Sharon as my "school mom." In May of 2002, at my baby shower, she was there and I introduced her as my "school mom." She retired a few years ago and we try to get together at least 2 or 3 times a year. Sharon has a special place in my heart and she loves our children...and our children love her. In fact, they call her "Grand Sharon."

Last summer, I posted this picture of a quilt I was beginning. I had purchased the fabrics the summer before, but with my new machine, I was eager to get stitching!
It then turned to this,
I posted a Wordless Wednesday a few weeks ago as I was stitching the binding to the quilt.
And this past Friday, the kids and I loaded up into the truck and took a little drive to deliver our special gift.
Thanks Sharon for being such a wonderful friend!! Despite it taking almost 2 years for me to complete, it was worth it! I trust that the comforter will keep you warm and cozy in your newly finished basement. Thank you for your love and wonderful friendship that you shower on me and the kids!

post signature

11 comments:

Monica said...

That is a special gift. I'm sure she'll think of you everytime she uses it.

weavermom said...

It's beautiful, and I love the story. How blessed you are to have her!!

... said...

that was so sweet of you and i'm sure she is blessed by the quilt and your friendship as much as you are by having her in your life.

Just Mom said...

So what you're saying is that I can expect my quilt in 2011???

;)


Very nicely done, Leigh Ann. A beautiful quilt for a beautiful lady.

Susan said...

Oh I know she will treasure it and what a kind, thoughtful thing for you to do. No surprise there!!!
Susan

Short Stop said...

What an incredibly thoughtful and special gift! And, it's so beautiful!

Shirley said...

How special! How DO you find the time to do all that you do????

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you both received blessings from your friendship. I'm sure she will treasure the quilt forever. You are just so thoughtful.

I know the Lord will bless you in return for your sweet and caring spirit.

Tammy said...

Loved this story, and what a truly wonderful gift that your dear friend will treasure always!

Vanessa Cole said...

What a great story. The quilt is beautiful.

Facebook update....I changed my mind and am having a blast finding people. :-)

Vanessa

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Beautiful - truly a treasure!