August 15, 2008

I love it when He does that!

A lesson about Jonah ::

One of the things I love about homeschooling (besides that we can start early and stay in the a/c while it's too hot to be outside and then take a break when the wonderful fall weather comes) is seeing God's hand in our educational pursuits.

Not just that we study the Bible and pray - but that God is a wonderful conductor orchestrating our days to bring honor and glory to Him.

Yesterday was one of those days.

Seemingly insignificant events ... all came together for a great purpose ... and a Bible story came to life. It was a story about Jonah.

We started in the morning talking about Jonah and how he traveled by foot, by boat and by whale.

We made our whales with Jonah inside praying. I tweaked the lesson a bit so we didn't have to use paint. :-)


I didn't have anything else planned for the story and with the kids having taken a shorter rest time (and a storm on its way); we headed outside to play 'til supper.

I grabbed some chalk and thought about making our story of Jonah come to life. Elle was not enjoying the thunder in the distance, so Quintin went solo on the re-enactment.

"Jonah" taking a ship to put distance between himself and Nineveh.
"Uh-oh! Look at these raindrops and our ship is being tossed about."
OVERBOARD!
"I seem to have found myself inside the belly of a whale. What will I do now?"
"I know!"
Being tossed out to dry ground.
Our next move was inside as the thunder was coming closer and supper was soon ready. Here is where I marveled at God's work. I had already put the kids' supper in the oven before we went outside and I took a break during our re-enactment to prepare supper for T and me ... not even thinking about what I was making. As we headed inside, the kids asked what was for supper. Then it hit me - and I had to chuckle at how God put the events together - T and I were having tilapia and the kids were having fish sticks - or as I told them, "Whale sticks!"
As we sat down to supper, the rain began. I looked at each of the faces around the table and asked, "OK, which one of you was the cause of this storm? Who do we need to throw overboard?" The kids chuckled and I continued to marvel at God's hand in our lesson. It is my hope that the kids will remember our fun Jonah lessons and that it will bring a smile to their faces. Well, once Elle forgets about the booming thunder she heard outside! :D



So, yeah, I love it when He does that!


post signature

14 comments:

Tracy said...

I love it when He does that too! Thanks for sharing your creativity with us!

Short Stop said...

One of my all-time favorite posts of yours!

I love it when God does that, too!

And, I love your creativity. Your children are so blessed to have you as their teacher, LA. And, God is most assuredly blessing you as you homeschool them.

Just awesome, LA!

Andrea said...

THIS is what I love about homeschooling! It makes your blog title so true, huh?
Andrea

Lynn said...

So cool...both your ideas and how God brought it all together for you. Love it!

Ghost Girl (aka, Mary Ann) said...

WOW! I LOVE that! What a beautiful, wonderful day! I'm so often moved and amazed at the ways God reminds us that he is there—always.

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Love it girl. Just love it! What a great and memorable day with the kids. The lessons learned will surely plant themselves in the soil of their hearts for a long time.

... said...

nice whale (drawn on the ground) =)

one of the many benefits of homeschooling; seeing the lesson come to life in so many different ways. good job, teacher.

have a great weekend.

weavermom said...

What a fantastic day!!

Love the way you tweaked the craft too!

Susan said...

What a great great story! I love the whales...that's the first time I've seen them like that. What a great way to extend it too...the "total physical response" must come from your days in Phys. Ed! They are blessed to have you.

:-) Susan

Susan said...

This was truly a wonderful "God" ordered lesson!!! He is so wonderful!!! I'm sure the kids will remember it well.
Susan

Tara O said...

Me TOO! God is so good.

Just Mom said...

THAT'S AWESOME!

Amy said...

I love days like this too. It's wonderful to know we have a Father who takes such good care of us on a daily basis. The little things DO matter!

Marie {Make and Takes} said...

What a fantastic lesson. My kids would love to get tossed out of a boat or get eaten up by the whale. Great idea.