August 12, 2007

Homeschool Open House 2007

I'm joining in on the Homeschool Open House 2007 hosted by Tiany at Less of Me~More of Him. Thank you for hosting this Tiany, I think it is a great idea!



A short intro about you, how many blessings?
I'm Momma Roar (aka Leigh Ann) and I have a 5 year old son - Quintin, a 2 1/2 year old daughter - Noelle (Elle [rhymes with belly] for short) and an 8 month old son - Colin. Quintin is beginning kindergarten this month.

We home'pre'schooled last year using Weaver's Interlock program. We loved it. It was a 37 week program that covered Genesis 1-11. It formed an excellent foundation for Quintin with the days of Creation - I really enjoyed it too.

Your Homeschool Day, what does it look like?
Our schedule is still being "discovered!" Last year, when I was pregnant with Colin, I would work with Quintin first thing in the morning, while Elle was still asleep. Now, Colin is the first to wake up and I've been trying different schedules this past week. We spent some time reviewing from last year and experimenting with different times to work together. We did it one morning while Colin was down for his morning nap and the next day we did it while he was in the pack n play in the next room. I'm sure we'll have some other variations, but it was nice to know it still worked and it doesn't have to be the same each day.

Our lessons will be Bible, Social Studies, Science, Language Arts, Phonics and Math - we won't be starting with all of these, but gradually adding some in each week.

My plan is to finish before lunch, unless we have a crazy day - then I'll work with Quintin while his brother and sister nap.

What curriculum will you be using?
We will be using Weaver's Vol 1 this year and I am looking forward to it. It is set up differently than their Interlock program, but I think I've gotten myself prepared!!

We'll be using RightStart for math and Spell to Write and Read for phonics. I also want to go through Gregg & Joshua Harris' The 21 Rules of This House with Elle and Quintin.

Anything else we add will just be a hodgepodge of this and that, lol!

Do you schedule your day to the minute or go with the flow with no real structure?
I like to have a plan, but "to the minute" is too difficult to do - I have a goal in mind to complete each day. I was an elementary PE teacher before having children and that taught me to always have a plan B - some days I would have the gym to teach in and some days, there would be no janitor there to clean up after lunch so I'd have to move elsewhere (those were the days!)

Do you homeschool in a homeschool room, at the kitchen table, at a desk, in the park on the grass?
We homeschool everywhere - the kitchen table, at a table in the playroom, outside, in the truck...everywhere!!

Do you have any “must share” tips?
I recently purchased Ruth Beechick's "A Biblical Home Education" and I am finding it so refreshing. Here is an excerpt that I really needed to hear:


"Many new homeschoolers, and older ones too, buy too much curriculum and then cry for help. They worry about "gaps," about not covering everything. It is a myth that there is an "everything" standard that we all should know. Graduates who are good thinkers can later learn whatever they need. One whole generation had to learn computers on their own. Schools like Mass*achuset*s Insti*tut*e of Te*ch*nolo*gy hired self-taught men to teach computer until they could raise degreed computer professors. Who knows what your children may need to learn in the future? There is no way to "cover" everything. Aim, instead, to teach your children how to think and learn in whatever content you are using."

Thanks for stopping by my Open House! Blessings to you all for a wonderful new school year!

post signature

23 comments:

Heather K said...

HI Leigh Ann! Hard to believe that you're back to school already! We don't go back until about the 3rd of September! I'm already dreading it! Thanks for the BD wishes...You're right I didn't post about it...much TOO busy... today there 12 kids here and my grandma and mom...6 nieces and 2 nephews and a different mix from last week!! I'm going to need a vacation after this!!! lol...

Kari said...

Your post is very similar to a quote that I have on my desk at school. I also use it on my school e-mail signature.

"The object of teaching a child is to enable him to get along without his teacher." by Elbert Hubbard

Thanks for sharing!

Tracy said...

I love the last tip, and I have FINALLY learned that excat thing after 8 years of homeschooling! It sure did take me long enough!

weavermom said...

Do you like the 21 rules? I saw this in a catalog recently and I was intrigued. :)

And I have the Ruth Beechick book on hold at the library - I've been waiting for a couple of months already!! Now I really can't wait to get it. :)

Lori said...

Thanks for sharing you homeschool schedule with us. Looks like you are very organized.

... said...

are you ready? are you looking forward to starting? did the summer just fly by?

i'm enjoing this home school open house. i'm learning so much - since i'm not a home schooler. thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Great post!

Have a great Kindergarten (I never spell that right....thank goodness for spell check!) year!! Enjoy having just one to each....while it lasts! :0)

Have a blessed week!

Ruth said...

Hi Leigh Ann! I finally did the name meme. Come and see what I did! =o)

Melissa Markham said...

I love the quote you included. I have the exact same philosophy! Have a great day and a wonderful school year!

Susan said...

"Aim, instead, to teach your children how to think and learn in whatever content you are using."

This says it all doesn't it. So true about our world being in constant change and yet the ability to think and the desire to learn is what it all boils down to. I know you'll do a great job. You excel in whatever you put your hand to.....just as the Bible tells us to do :o)
Susan

MorningSong said...

Thanks for sharing your story! I am still struggling with our 'routine'. We will figure it out eventually! :)

Mrs. Breum said...

Love the quote! I enjoyed reading about your homeschool. :)

Pen of Jen said...

I loved reading about your homeschool, and love remembering the early days.

Your children are so blessed that you are doing this for them!!

Anna said...

Great tips and insight! Good to hear these sorts of things over and over!

Tracy said...

Can I send Dawson over for you to homeschool? Just wonderin'

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

Very interesting...thanks for sharing your homeschooling plans with us.

Susan said...

Wishing you a wonderful year!

I have an award for you over at my blog.

Have a great week.

:-) Susan

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're quite organized. :o) I enjoyed reading this. Y'all have a wonderful school year!

Amber said...

Your doing a great job Leigh Ann! Great advice!!!

God Bless,
Amber

Tara O said...

What a great idea to do Leigh Ann. I think I will follow along and do one of my own if you don't mind.

Anonymous said...

What cuties you have! Sounds like your year is going to be great. :)

I have an almost 8 month old who isn't a good napper!! I'm not quite sure how we're going to survive school.

Cindy
www.homeschoolblogger.com/westward

JacciM said...

Enjoyed reading your blog tonight :) Sounds like you all have really chosen a curriculum that works well for your family. Have a great school year!

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Making my way through the open house links. What is the 21 Rules of this House book? I'll be looking that up!

Thanks Leigh Ann.