August 30, 2007

In her own words

Some posts this week have really made me think and reflect and I'm finally able to put my thoughts into words.

There have been some posts, videos and pictures these last several days/weeks about the first days back to school and I'm tellin' ya gals, I'm crying right along with you.

And, there have really been some great posts about each family's homeschool - especially while browsing the Homeschool Open House that Tiany hosted.

Its enjoyable to me to read both sides. Why? Because I've been on both sides. Honestly, sometimes I still battle which side to be on. Am I doing what is best for my children? Are they going to miss out on something? I ask myself these questions time and time again. But you know what? You know how I know which side to be on? When I draw close to our Lord, through reading His Word and seeking Him in prayer and quiet time, I hear Him. I, along with T, know He is calling us to this task. And, while He calls some to be missionaries in far away lands, or to minister in prisons, to adopt babies from a distant land...I know my call is to keep our little ones at home, in this season, and homeschool. And those "battles" always come at a time when I've been distant to God - when I haven't made time with Him a priority.

I can look back at my years leading up to this and see God's hand totally in it. Not that I never thought it was there in the first place, but it is so clear to see now how He completely orchestrated all of it. From the teaching degree to the 5 years teaching experience. The first year was at the YMCA, which I've blogged about before - but this was a pivotal year. Not only did I run a homeschool co-op offering art, pe and swimming, but I met a wonderful group of young adults from a local private christian school - I was their PE teacher, but let me tell you - they taught me so much that year. It was that experience with those students, that stirred a desire within me. Knowing their school was too far away to send our children there, I knew the Lord could help me 'create' that at home.

God calls us each to different things and I think we can only bring Him the most glory by doing what He calls us to, to the best of our abilities. As it says in 1 Corinthians 12:12, "The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one one body. So it is with Christ." He calls us each to be different parts - and we must do our part with all the gusto we've got!

Those of you sending your children into the school system, may God bless them and assist them in being the light in a dark world. To those homeschooling, may God bless our children and our efforts to help them become the people He desires them to become.



post signature

22 comments:

Just Mom said...

AND THIS IS WHY YOU DESERVE THOSE AWARDS!


Beautifully said, Leigh Ann. Each of us is called toward a different task. It disturbs me greatly when people start talking about one "side" being better than the other. That's just childish.

Thanks for the post. You read my mind.

Rebecca said...

I really enjoyed this post Leigh Ann! Thank you for taking the time to voice the words in your heart.

Pen of Jen said...

Leigh Ann
Excellent post! I really think that the prayer at the close is something that we all need to do!

Wonderful!!

BTW Come over and see the winners of the Caption Contest.
penofjen.blogspot.com!
Jennifer

MorningSong said...

You know what I hate, is when a mom who Home Schools looks down on a mom sending hers to school. Or a mom sending hers to school thinking a home school mom is nuts. I am so glad to hear another mom realize our journeys are different but just as valuable! WE cannot all be the arm.

So great! I love when we encourage one another, rather than have one justify her road by bashing the other road. Great post!

Blessings to you moms who send your kids to school and blessings to you moms who school your kids at home!!

We are all on the same team!!!

Jen said...

I agree Leigh Ann. Its the same way with stay at home moms and working moms. Some days I feel like people judge me because I chose to work. Somedays I judge myself but I really do believe I am doing the right thing for my kids and myself. I alway say you have to do what is right for your family. Not everyone is in the same situations. Kudos to you for homeschooling! I think its great.

MorningSong said...

FYI - The word hate (in my comment above) was intended as 'breaks my heart hate' and not 'makes me angry' at others hate.

Tracy said...

Amen, sister! Being a mom who has one child in the public school, and three that I homeschool, I often feel like I am looked down upon by both camps. I know people probably feel that I am a hypocrite. It's even hard on my children sometimes.

... said...

i'm glad you're feeling peace about your decision. that's confirmation that it's the right one.

i think when it comes to the education of our children, each family needs to do what is right for them. there should be no judgement for either side, instead - encouragement. hope you feel encouraged today.

Short Stop said...

I love this post. As a mom with no little ones of school age yet, I'm trying to figure it all out. You are SO right...time in prayer and in God's word is where our leading by the Spirit is to be found! I pray that He'll make it clear to our family, and that we'll feel confident in His calling!

Sandy said...

Leigh - You are doing what you feel is best and that's what matters. What may be right for some is not right for others but you know what? THATS OK Like MorningSong said.."We are all on the same team!!"

Julieann said...

Very well said LeighAnn!!! I admire you so much:)

Julieann

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

Amen...the Lord is always guiding us, we just need to open our hearts and minds to hear what he is telling us to do. I think you have done exactly that and are following His lead in what He wants you to dol.

Christy. said...

Thank you for that! I find that so many moms get so stuck on "the right way" and there are so many right ways for each of us. I appreciate your passion for homeschooling and also the understanding of familes that do the public or private school thing.
I am praying and will continue to pray about where God wants our kids to grow and learn. Right now it is in public school but someday, if God leads, it will be in Christian school.
You have such a sweet heart Leigh Ann!

Anonymous said...

I think you are amazing.

I remember when we were faced with major changes regarding our girls education. It took much prayer and many tears.

It is every family's decision. There will always be people who do not agree, but God will be the lamp unto our feet and the light unto our path.

Mary@notbefore7 said...

So with you girl! Thank you for stating it. So many of us are in this boat right now and struggling. i have appreciated all of these honest posts.

Tracy said...

Not everyone can homeschool their children for one reason or another. I am so glad you are willing, able and doing what you feel is right. Now if only I could just be a stay at home mom! Hehe! Do you think Mark will go for it?!??!

weavermom said...

Amen. Couldn't have been said better. :)

Kelli said...

Excellent post, Leigh Ann! I agree!

Kelli

Susan said...

Sorry I'm late commenting. We went out of town yesterday and left at 6:30 a.m. so I'm just now getting around to reading.

Leigh Ann this is absolutely your best post EVER!!!!!!
Susan

Lori said...

Great post. Very well said.

I agree we should all encourage each other...no matter if we go to public schools, Christian schools or home school.

Bless your heart for home schooling.

Kerrie said...

I totally thought I posted on here yesterday. I think I'm losing my mind!

I think you'd be a great teacher to your young ones.

Heather K said...

Hey Leigh Ann...just dropped in to say hi.... haven't been by in awhile...and have missed (you)reading your blog... your kids are so cute I could just squeeze 'em!
I've been trying to decide whether to homeschool my youngest this year... she's going into grade 4 this year. I homeschooled her for her first year and a half. I then started her (all of them) into school. They've been going to school (Christian school)for just over two years now....Janelle had a really rough year with her teacher. She's great to talk to, but really needs to retire...she has NO patience and that didn't go well with Janelle. Well I recently found out that J gets a new fresh out of university teacher this year!!!! YIPPEEE. I'm hoping that this will help....she should have some good ideas that will be fresh in her mind, on how to work with kids like Janelle....sooooo... off to school she goes...hopefully this is the right choice for her!
anyway... I am totally rambling on in your comment section!!! :P
thanks for "listening"
take care. Heather =)