Kelli is hosting Show & Tell today. Click on over to her blog to see who else is Showing and Telling!
T
oday I wanted to share two very special Bibles. The first one, the bigger one, was given to me by my paternal grandmother, Annabelle. She passed away in 2004, when I was pregnant with Noelle. It has been passed down through our family and was originally, given as a gift from my great-great grandparents to my grandmother's parents (my great-grandparents). It was my grandmother's paternal grandparents that gave the Bible as a gift. My grandmother's father passed away when she was a child and her mother remarried. The Bible was handed down to my grandmother because she was the oldest child of her father's.

If you click on the picture, you can see it was given on December 25, 1921. Also in the photo was a newspaper clipping that was in the Bible, it is dated October 22, 1936. It is the front page of the local (no longer existing) newspaper announcing the 50th wedding anniversary of my great-great grandparents. I certainly hope I haven't lost anyone in all the "greats" but I just love looking at the history of my family. Before my grandmother passed away, she gave me many pictures of my father and his family that I would love to someday use to make a family tree for my children. I'm going to need to find a little more free time to do that, though.
The second Bible, is my
first Bible. It was given to me on December 25 also, but exactly 70 years later!

You see, this was given to me by my boyfriend of 6 months, who is now, my husband of almost 11 years. What better gifts to receive on Christmas day than Bibles?
28 comments:
Oh, how wonderful! Yes, Bibles are the perfect Christmas gifts. The first gift I ever bought my hubby was a Bible for Christmas. We were engaged at the time:)
Have a wonderful day.
I remember getting my first Bible for Christmas,too. I still have it.
Thanks for commenting on my blog! To answer your sewing question about free patterns. Go to me sewing blog and look for the free pattern post!
www.sewsensible.blogspot.com
Thank you for sharing your special Bibles with us. God's Word is certainly a priceless gift...
And, I just have to say that this is the first time I've visited your blog and I just love the pics of your sweet children sleeping on the floor. My oldest is 4 and does the same thing!
I loved hearing about your family history and your Bibles! How neat that there is a newspaper clipping from the anniversary of your great-great Grandparents! Both Bibles are wonderful treasures!
Kelli
Btw, Benjamin came into my room yesterday walking on his toes just like your son! I said, "I have to tell Leigh Ann!" LOL
Oh Leigh Ann my heart is leaping with your Show & Tell today. What treasurers!!!! Nothing more precious that THE WORD and combine that with family and you have it ALL.
Thanks for sharing about your bibles.
That is so neat to learn about your family history and how the bible got passed along down and ended up with you. What a treasure to have.
I also like that your husband gave you your first bible. That is special too.
I still have my first bible. I got mine from my parents when I was in Confirmation Class.
I have several family Bibles. One is about 6" thick, 14" long and weighs a ton! But it is full of family history so it's worth every muscle to carry it over to the desk.
Vanessa
Oh wow...these are such treasures! God's Word is invaluable but to have these family heirlooms is so wonderful. I love that there is that newspaper clipping of your great great grandparents anniversary!
Bibles are perfect gifts and what treasures yours are!
To think of all the prayers that have gone out after readings from those two Bibles - awesome!
Bibles are treasures in many ways aren't they!?! You have 2 treasures there for sure. Thanks for sharing.
Leigh Ann,
Thanks so much for visiting me today.
I loved reading this post about the Bible handed down through the generations. What a priceless piece of your family's history.
Such a coincidence that your own Bible was given exactly 70 yrs later!
I want to come back and visit you again when I have a bit more time to read some of your other posts!
:)
Thanks for sharing...what great memories you have of these.
That larger bible is beautiful!
Have a great weekend!
Having those treasures is so neat. Family is a gift!
That is really neat. Something to always treasure!
I have a little girl who just turned 4 and we are looking into homeschooling her as well. I was excited to find your blog so I can get some ideas from you. Are you using a curriculum with him or just doing your own thing? I would love to hear back from you.
Bibles are some of the most precious keepsakes, aren't they? I have my mother's old Bible, which actually was a gift that she and my three oldest brothers had given my dad. Somewhere along the line she began using it. I ended up with it and it's so very fragile now.
Thanks for sharing your Bibles with us.
Those are two wonderful treasures! I love things with a family history to them as well.
Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts
What nicer gift than a Bible! Thanks for visiting me today.
Reminded me of my first Bible given to me by my grandparents when I was a small girl. It had my name inscribed on it in gold. I was so proud of that Bible.
Loved your show and tell. :-D
Oh LeighAnn, what treasures you have there!!!
Julieann:)
What a wonderful treasure you have! Thank you for sharing. =)
I loved seeing these treasures!
I loved the Bibles! I have a small collection of old Bibles as well and had already thot about using them as my show and tell at a later date! Another thing we have in common is we love "Southern Living at Home"! I was just introduded to it right before Christmas and am now addicted! I can't believe I've met another consultant, and in my blogging world to boot! I LOVED your idea of sharing the commission with me for every olive oil cruet you sale!
just wanted to let you know I have a new blog :)
Now THAT is what I call an heirloom! What a wonderful show and tell. I can't think of a better keepsake to pass down.
wow! what a wonderful treasure!!
Post a Comment