May 16, 2007

Friendship

This week I've been talking with Quintin about Adam and Eve and how God made Eve as a friend and helper for Adam. We've also talked about needing friends and how special friends are. One of the suggested activities is to bake a friendship cake (carrot cake is suggested) and take it to a friend. Today, we're going to make our favorite Banana Chocolate Chip Loaf and deliver it to some friends with a poem about friendship.


I wish I could share some of the bread with each of you, but, since I can't, I'll share the recipe! This recipe was given to me by my mom, we made it a lot growing up!

Banana Chocolate Chip Loaf
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs (beaten)
3 bananas (mashed)
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt (optional)
1/2 cup chocolate chips (we usually add a little more!!)

Cream together sugar and butter. Add beaten eggs. Measure dry ingredients. Add bananas and dry ingredients alternately to creamed mixture. Add chocolate chips. Bake in a greased loaf pan for 45 min at 350. *I like to bake mine in small loaf pans and I get 4 loaves out of this recipe. Enjoy!!

22 comments:

Sonya said...

Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe. You've inspired me to do the same for a friend. Hopefully we can come up with something creative to do for our friend and even make this a regular habit in our home!

Susan said...

Sorry.......I'm still waiting for my door bell to ring and you and Quintin presenting me with my loaf. Oh, Oklahoma is too far?...shucks :o(

Honestly, this is so wonderful and sweet just like you!
((huggs))
Susan

Lori said...

I love that friendship poem.

Thanks for sharing the banana bread recipe with us. I made banana bread yesterday too. I didn't add chocolate chips though. I should've as much as I love chocolate. I wish we lived closer so we could get together for a cup of coffee and banana bread.

Tracy said...

Thank you, Leigh Ann. Boy, where you are at, I would have thought that you would have Made Amish friendship bread, and given away starters! (0;

~ Amy ~ said...

You are a wonderful Mamma!! You're neighbors are so lucky.

candy said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

Momma Roar said...

Funny story Tracy - I was given Amish friendship bread starter and I'm not sure what I did wrong, but it started getting bugs in it and it was disgusting. I guess I was a bad friend for breaking that chain! I must have counted my days wrong. I won't try to make that EVER again!

For those of you unfamiliar with this, you are given the bread starter and over the period of several days you add ingredients and then seperate it into other "starter" for friends and save some for yourself to make the bread.

Tina said...

ditto what Susan said except stick in Florida...
You are such a good mommy and friend! :):)

Pen of Jen said...

What a wonderful idea! I am inspired by this post and will be making some tomorrow for a friend(or to a soon to be friend:)

Great lesson!

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

What a great lesson to teach your kids. The recipe sounds wonderful!

Just Mom said...

You are so creative! The recipe sounds yummy. I must try it.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea! I bet your friends will be so pleased! What a sweet lesson to teach the kiddos! Y'all have fun and don't forget to bake a loaf for yourselves, as well!

Julieann said...

LeighAnn, I just love this idea---and thank you so much for the recipe too:) Your are such a good friend to us all!!!

Julieann:)

Trella said...

What a great idea. The recipe sounds delicious. I can't wait to give it a try. I wish I was your neighbor:)
Hugs,
Trella

Tracy said...

Collin made this today, and it is very yummy! Thanks again for the recipe!

Diana said...

What a great lesson to show your children!! I need to remember that and do something like that for neighbors and friends! Great Job!

Ruth said...

Thank you SO much for this yummy sounding recipe. As soon as I'm out of school, I'll be trying my first batch!!

Kelli said...

What a wonderful and inspiring idea! The banana bread sounds delicious, what lucky neighbors! Is Dallas to far to come? ;0)
Kelli

Tracy said...

I just know you would like to visit South Dakota!! There are alot of your bloggin buddies that live here!! Hint, Hint!

Great idea. I will have to try the recipe sometime. THANKS!

Anonymous said...

Stop over with the buggy and we'll head to SD with some of that bread and the left over cake from Jen's party. I ordered it today, hurray! My mom make cookies and bread for Dave today. He is so spoiled. No little poem stuck inside though.

How cute is that whole idea!

Anna said...

Deelish! I love a recommended recipe!!! I wish I could come over for a bite. :)

Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads said...

That sounds so good! My hubby and daughter would love it! Thanks for sharing.