One day a farmer's donkey fell down into a well. The animal cried piteously for hours as the farmer tried to figure out what to do.Finally he decided the animal was old and the well needed to be covered up anyway, so it just wasn't worth it to retrieve the donkey. He invited all his neighbors to come over and help him. They each grabbed a shovel and began to shovel dirt into the well.
At first, the donkey realized what was happening and cried horribly. Then, to everyone's amazement, he quieted down. A few shovel loads later, the farmer finally looked down the well and was astonished at what he saw. With every shovel full of dirt that hit his back, the donkey was doing something amazing. He would shake it off and take step up.
As the farmer's neighbors continued to shovel dirt on top of the animal, he would shake it off and take a step up. Pretty soon, everyone was amazed as the donkey stepped up over the edge of the well and trotted off!
Life is going to shovel dirt on you, all kinds of dirt. The trick to getting out of the well is to shake it off and take a step up. Each of our troubles is a stepping stone. We can get out of the deepest wells by not stopping, never giving up!
Shake the dirt off and take a step up!
26 comments:
Great post!!1 I heard one similar once about a little boy who prayed for a horse and all he got was manure. He grabbed a shovel and began digging saying " With all this manure there has to be a horse in here somewhere". It's really about making lemonade out of lemons.
I've read this before, but I always enjoy it. Have a great weekend, Leigh Ann!
Ooops. Tracy posted as Autumn!
Hi Leigh Ann, I've been away this week from blogging and I'm just catching up. I love this story. I don't remember where I heard it, but it is a great lesson!
Enjoy your week-end!
Blessings,
Karen
Very inspirational story! Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend!
I love it! Thanks for that fabulous tale of persistence and perspective.
Of course in my case, it feels more like shovels full of manure! But I'll keep steppin' up on those turds!
I'm a living testimony to that story :)
I've read this before somewhere. I loved reading it again. It is a wonderful lesson.
Have a great weekend,
Trella
Great post. Thanks for sharing!
Great lesson.
Loved this! So very true! Sometimes it's hard to remember, though. :o)
Loved the post!
That was great. However, I think the farmer deserved a small kick for deciding to just cover up the well! LOL!! =o)
Great post! :)
I love this story, I've read it before, but it was a much needed reminder today, thank you:)
One of the teachers read this story in staff devotions this year and I was really inspired by it. But I do confess that sometimes I just feel almost too tired to keep stepping up. I couldn't do it without the Lord.
What a great story!!! At first I thought, how mean to do that to the donkey..LOL
Kelli
Beautiful story! I love the picture that it gives...and need to remember it myself when I feel like I'm down in the well and people are covering me in dirt.
Hugs.
:-) Susan
What a beautiful story. I actually have never heard it before and it could not have come at a better time in my life. We have an awesome GOD and He always has the perfect timeing for everything.
Thank you so much for sharing.
God Bless,
JEN
Just keep taking those steps up and that will get us out of anything. Good post. connie from Texas
hmm great advice Leigh Ann! If we can just keep this in mind, when we're in the middle of things.
Thanks for posting this...it's GREAT!! And so VERY VERY TRUE!
Erin
Love the story.
oh wow!!! I was getting sad about the donkey--then it made me smile:) Wonderful post--I love those feel good posts!!!
Julieann:)
Great post, thanks for sharing with us. I need stories like this now and again to make me ponder things going on in my life. I need to "shake" more things off!
I read this to my ine year old son. He really enjoyed it and seemed to grasp the lesson. I just loved this! Thanks for praying for Rita.
I love it b/c its true!
Post a Comment