April 2, 2007

Six month anniversary

Six months ago our area experienced something that you think wouldn't happen where you live nor to those it happened to.

On October 2, 2006, a gunman walked into an Amish one room schoolhouse taking hostages and eventually killing five girls and then himself.

The Amish had five little girls to bury. Several others had been hurt badly. They’ve forgiven Charlie Roberts. The Amish went to his funeral. The school has been torn down, and a new one has been built, just a few hundred feet away. The New Hope Amish School is opening its doors for its first day of school, today.

The Amish take this terrible occurrence and use it to reinforce their faith in God. They would say “this is a chance for us to learn something about how to be better people, to each other, and to the world around us.”

We have Amish neighbors. This is a picture of the Amish one room schoolhouse less than a mile from our house. These schools dot our landscape. Having been born and raised here, I’ve always rubbed elbows with the Amish. Last year, some girls from this school came to our door selling cleaning supplies for a school fundraiser. They have a strawberry stand at the end of the lane just across from our development. I’ve always seen them – we pass a dozen buggies on the way to church. I've always known of their strong faith, but "The Happening" as they refer to it, showed me, along with the world, how strong it truly is.

Five little girls died but five survived and for the Amish that is blessing enough.

Four of the five survivors are doing well. They’re back in school. They can run and jump. The fifth girl, who was shot in the head, is bedridden and remains on a feeding tube. While it's heartbreaking for the community to see the little girl in so much pain, the families try not to question it.

"It was God's plan, I don't know how, how to explain that," an amishman said.

They get comfort from the four girls who have exceeded doctor's expectations. They call them the "Miracle Girls". One of the girls, a fourth-grader, who was shot in the jaw and shoulder, still has two bullets in her arm, but was the first to return to school.

An eighth-grader who was shot in the hip and arm had extensive nerve damage and had to wear braces on her arm and leg. She was in a brace for a while, but she isn't anymore.

A sixth-grader, who doctors originally thought would lose her arm, not only avoided an amputation, but has gone beyond what doctors said would be possible.

The fifth girl, the 10-year-old who was shot in the head, spent the most time in the hospital -- three months. But her speech is back to 100 percent and she is amazing her family.

For a community that lost five precious lives, the Amish see that five lives were spared and for that, they're thankful. "It's God's healing power. He wants to show the world what he can do through prayers” said an Amish woman.

I just wish all the national news stations would come back and spend as much time here now, telling about these "miracle girls," as they did when it first happened.

Quotes and survivors' conditions were taken from wgal.com

16 comments:

weavermom said...

Amen.

I didn't know about the new schoolhouse. It's amazing the changes 6 months can bring!

Trella said...

I heard about the new school house, but not about the 4 girls. Thanks so much for sharing!
Trella

TO BECOME said...

That was such a sad time and I know that through what happened there, the Amish not blaming God but giving him the Glory that many have seen what God in the life of a person can do. I am so thankful that some are doing better and I am so sorry that the world is so fun of sin. connie from Texas

~ Amy ~ said...

I'm so glad you updated us. As I said before I remember that day and how said it was to hear about what happened. What a strong community of people they are.

Susan said...

Thanks for posting this, Leigh Ann. I think we have a LOT to learn from the example of these people and their actions of ffaith and forgiveness. Mostly their not questioning God. The first thing WE always shout is WHY GOD?

Still can't see your pic on your blog page, but I saw it in your comment to me. I like it very much. You are wearing what I call "casual feminine". :o)

Rita Loca said...

When things like that happen, one becomes aware of the extreme evil in our world, but also, the great gift of Grace god gives to those who grieve.

Lori said...

I remember hearing on the news about that when it happened. That was terribly sad.

I do agree though it is a blessing that 5 girls survived and 4 are doing well.

Tracy said...

Thanks for the post!! I find myself in awe over the Amish people and how they've handled the situation. I would LOVE to learn more about them!!

Your blog keeps changing!! Very cool!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this post. I agree with everyones comments...

Lori said...

I just saw on the tv a little while ago that they are going to have something on the news tonight -- an update about the shootings that happened at the school house there.

Anonymous said...

Heard a small update on the news today. I was hoping you would have a post to tell the real truth and the whole truth. Great job, Leigh Ann...and on your new look!

Diana said...

It is so sad what happened to the little girls, I remember watching that on the news. Thanks for updating us

Just Mom said...

I knew there would be some news coverage, if not by national media at least by the local media. I know if I was still in the news biz I would be checking up on the families and the community after such a tragic incident. I really liked your post, Leigh Ann. It was very heartfelt -- and very uplifting.

Momma Roar said...

I know you would have Aisha! You have a big heart!

Thank you everyone for your kind words. Maybe I can do some more "stories" about the Amish in the future.

Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads said...

I didn't realize that they had built a new schoolhouse. It's hard to believe that 6 months have passed.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this! This weighed so heavily on my heart 6 months ago and I too wish they would do a follow-up on this. I had no idea the new school house had even been built or the condition of those that survived. Instead, I turn on the news to hear on and on coverage of Anna Nicole!! Blah....