April 25, 2007

The Four Promises of Forgiveness

The Four Promises of Forgiveness: Powered by Hebrews 9:22

"In fact, the law requires that nearly everything be cleansed with blood, and
without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness."
Forgiveness may be described as a decision to make four promises:

"I will not dwell on this incident."
"I will not bring up this incident again and use it against you."
"I will not talk to others about this incident."
"I will not let this incident stand between us or hinder our personal relationship."
By making and keeping these promises, you can tear down the walls that stand between you and your offender. You promise not to dwell on or brood over the problem or to punish by holding the person at a distance. You clear the way for your relationship to develop unhindered by memories of past wrongs. This is exactly what God does for us, and it is what he calls us to do for others.


Taken from The Peacemaker: A Biblical Guide to Resolving Personal Conflict by Ken Sande, Updated Edition (Grand Rapids, Baker Books, 2003) pp. 209. Clicking on this link will take you to the Peacemaker bookstore where you can download the first chapter of this book for free .

Food For Thought
Do you sometimes find yourself breaking (or tempted to break) one or more of the Four Promises of Forgiveness sometime after you make them? That's a very normal experience--and, believe it or not, it's an invitation from God to draw closer to him. The key is remembering and applying Hebrews 9:22. That verse tells us that in the universe there is only one source of durable forgiveness: the Cross of Christ. "Without the shedding of blood," the verse says, "there is no forgiveness."

For a time, we may be able to forgive someone out of our own willpower or our human desire for reconciliation, but eventually even our best efforts will buckle (yes, even when they're buoyed up by the Four Promises). If we want our forgiveness of others to "stick", we ourselves need to "stick" continually--to the Cross. So when you sense a long-buried hatchet rising to the surface, don't dwell on those thoughts. Instead, dwell on Christ's forgiveness of your own sin. The more real that becomes for you, the less real temptations toward unforgiveness will be.

**********
I found this to be such a powerful email for me, that I wanted to share it today. Holding grudges is something I am working to break. Doing so is like building a wall between me and another person, and it is nearly impossible to talk openly while the wall is there. God doesn't keep a record of my sins; when he forgives, he forgives completely, tearing down any wall between me and him. I need to do the same.



15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very good, I needed it thank you.

weavermom said...

Great thoughts! I especially like the Abraham Lincoln quote.

Tina Leigh said...

Yes-Yes...oh but it is soooo hard! I have a horrible habbit of being negative & then I fall right in to satans trap of NOT forgiving. It is a daily thing. Good post.

Susan said...

Oh how easy it is for me to judge sometimes. Thanks for this reminder.

Trella said...

Such a hard thing to learn.

A wonderful reminder of what we should do.

Pen of Jen said...

This is wonderful, I need to read this every day!

Anonymous said...

I always to back to the fact that being bitter is like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die. It just hurts you! The other person goes on with their life and you are the one who suffers.
Great word, Leigh Ann!

Lori said...

I liked this post. Thanks for the reminder.
I like the four promises of forgiveness.

Just Mom said...

This was actually a great reminder for me to be kinder to my own hubby. Too often I dredge up an incident from long ago when I'm upset for whatever reason.

Thanks, Leigh Ann.

Tracy said...

This is an excellent post, Leigh Ann! Thank you for all of the reminders.

Tina said...

Loved it. THank you. I especially liked the Abraham Lincoln quote too!

Mrs. Breum said...

Great post! What a good reminder.

Jill said...

Thank you for sharing this. I am guilty of breaking all of these rules from time to time. A great reminder!

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

Great post. I too am trying to forgive more easily. I have been "burned" several times in my life and am learning that to NOT forgive only hurts me more.

Heather K said...

This is wonderful advice! We really need to forgive and just let things go.... it's so self detrimental! (does that make sense???).
take care--Heather