April 3, 2007

Addicted to thinking?

After my Late night contemplations post last Friday night (or was it Saturday morning), I still couldn't settle from all the Pepsi in my system, so I headed for the library, in the mood for Clinton's latest book "Family Morals in America". Listening to a PBS station on the radio, I roared into the parking lot and ran up to the big glass doors... they didn't open. The library was closed. Later, I realized that God was looking out for me that night. As I sank to the ground clawing at the unfeeling glass, whimpering, a poster caught my eye. "Friend, is heavy thinking ruining your life?" it asked. You probably recognize that line. It comes from the standard Thinker's Anonymous poster.

When I got home and read the comments on my post, I realized my friends had already known it. "You think way too much," was the comment that told me Thinker's Anonymous was for me. I went to my first TA meeting last night, where I met "Bob" (name has been changed) and he shared with me his story and is allowing me to share it with you.

"It started out innocently enough. I began to think at parties now and then to loosen up. Inevitably though, one thought led to another, and soon I was more than just a social thinker. I began to think alone - "to relax," I told myself - but I knew it wasn't true. Thinking became more and more important to me, and finally I was thinking all the time.

I began to think on the job. I knew that thinking and employment don't mix, but I couldn't stop myself. I began to avoid friends at lunchtime so I could read writings of Plato, Saint Augustine of Hippo, Jesus Christ, and Aristotle. I would return to the office dizzied and confused, asking, "What is it exactly we are doing here?"

Things weren't going so great at home either. One evening I had turned off the TV and asked my wife about the meaning of life. She spent that night at her mother's.

I soon had a reputation as a heavy thinker. One day the boss called me in. He said, "Skippy, I like you, and it hurts me to say this, but your thinking has become a real problem. If you don't stop thinking on the job, you'll have to find another job." This gave me a lot to think about.
I came home early after my conversation with the boss. "Honey, " I confessed, "I've been thinking..." "I know you've been thinking," she said, "and I want a divorce!" "But Honey, surely it's not that serious." "It is serious," she said, lower lip aquiver. "You think as much as college professors, and college professors don't make any money, so if you keep on thinking we won't have any money!" "That's a faulty syllogism," I said impatiently, and she began to cry. I'd had enough. "I'm going to the library," I snarled as I stomped out the door. Which is why I am what I am today: a recovering thinker. I never er miss a TA meeting. At each meeting we watch a non-educational video; last week it was "Jerry Spinger" talking about the song "I'm bad" by Michael J. Then we share experiences about how we avoided thinking since the last meeting.

Life just seemed .. more bland .. without purpose or meaning, somehow, as soon as I stopped thinking, and avoided thoughts about the meaning of life and my future. I still have my job, and things are a lot better at home and the office. Now I stare for hours at the T.V. and receive my daily dose of brainwashing instead of contemplating the mysteries of life."

Isn't Bob amazing? I hope TA can help me!!
I found this story earlier and thought it was great -I just tweaked it a little - I hope you don't mind my silliness (again). I have a heavy heart today and just needed a good laugh!!!

12 comments:

weavermom said...

I loved this!
Hope it helped your heavy heart too!

Just Mom said...

Hey, I sometimes think way too much also. Will you be my sponsor? ;-)

Funny post. I laughed the entire time I was reading it.

Lori said...

Funny story. Thanks for sharing.
I'm a thinker too.

Hope you are feeling better.

Susan said...

Doesn't my name say it all? I'm hopeless. Even a TA group won't help me.

~ Amy ~ said...

I'm thinking you're pretty funny. Hope you're having a good sunny day.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Im sorry to hear you have a heavy heart today.
This was a great post!
But I hope your feeling better soon!

Hugs,
Candy

Trella said...

Love the post. I am such a thinker. I love parties, but stay up all night after them "Thinking".
I hope you feel better,
Trella

Anna said...

Ah, we are kindred spirits, my friend. I fear that my "thinking" habits are being transferred to my children as well...my son (6 yrs.) is really into Homer's Iliad right now.

Ask my in twenty years if he turned out normal. :)

Tracy said...

My dear friends and family say I THINK WAY TOO MUCH! If I say to my husband..."I've been thinking" He just says UH-OH! Now, that just isn't fair! (giggle)

Great post!

Mrs. Breum said...

Great post!

Susan said...

Oh my goodness...that is good.

I loved your update on the Amish School Girls below, too. You're right, someone should be up there reporting this part of it.

May God bless you this week.

:-) Susan

Anonymous said...

You just tired out my poor brain. Maybe I need to take a class in how to think, ya think?