February 16, 2007

A look at what we do...

I thought I'd post today about what one of our weeks looks like with Weaver's Interlock. Hopefully it will give you a glimpse into our days here!
Week 21 Bible Memory Verse "Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them." Matthew 6:26
The following is a combination of our Bible Story, science and social studies.
Since we started Interlock, we've learned about the first four days of Creation. We are currently learning about what God made on the fifth day. So far, we've talked about fish and other water creatures, amphibians and last week we began studying birds. We've talked about where they live and how God has created them to live in those specific climates. God made them big, small, with beautiful colors and plain colors - Each one is special. Q learned that God made birds with special feet, some with spurs and claws, and beaks suited to the type of food they eat. We also talked about how God created birds with an instinct to migrate. How awesome that they are so unique!

We've discussed how birds lay eggs and the eggs are different sizes. Birds are useful to man because they eat harmful insects, they give us meat, eggs and feathers for our use. We looked at bird feathers and that God planned for the feather to be a very special help to birds.

We even rolled around on the floor imagining what it would feel like to be an egg! Even pretending to be a little chick pecking it's way out.

We could have taught Q the days of Creation by having him memorize what was created on what day - but we would have missed out on so many fun projects and activities, and would he have remembered it? The memories we are creating are priceless.

Daddy is trucking tonight, so I thought we'd hard boil some eggs and I'll let Q & E compare a hard boiled egg and a raw egg and then let them decorate them. I want to see, too, if Q remembers one of our first lessons in Interlock. We looked at a raw egg and saw just 1 egg. When we opened it, there were 3 parts: the shell, the yolk and the white - but it was still 1 egg. This is like God - God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. All three have different names, but yet they are One.

Next week we are going to fill a pinecone with suet (meat fat) and roll it in birdseed and hang it from a tree. I remember doing this as a young child and I loved watching from inside the house!

2 comments:

weavermom said...

I love Vol 1, but I miss Interlock (sniff, sniff)

Susan said...

Came back & read this. WOW! what a wonderful concept of teaching and I'll bet your children will retain so much.