November 23, 2009

Solar System

Since I don't have my camera right now (waiting to hear back from canon - still under warranty, but need to find out the cause of the problem before I know if it will be a free fix or not) I thought I'd share some pictures from an older unit, solar system, we did a few months ago - obviously, the kids are in SHORTS!!!

We continue to work through The Weaver Curriculum.  This is one of the chapters that made me love The Weaver even more!  The Weaver curriculum is unit study based, meaning that when you study the solar system, you study it in Bible, Science, Social Studies, Language Arts and Creative Writing.

My favorite Bible lessons have come from this chapter.  Below, I'll share some from the curriculum.

Weaver Bible Background: "When Abram was shown the stars in the heavens, he was told to count them.  He could not do this, for they were innumerable.  The size of the universe is incomprehensible to man.  Which of us can understand the distance to the sun?  We have an idea of the distance to the moon, for man has traveled there.  Yet, the distance to the moon is just a small percentage of the distance to the sun - very inconsequential!"

My favorite part of this entire Solar System chapter was the application that we serve a big God, a great God.  A hint of His size is shown in the universe.  Remember, this is His creation!!

The bible lesson led us in an activity that made a HUGE impression on all of us.  We went out to the end of our driveway and followed the "steps" in marking off the sun and plants.  It would have been nice to have had actual pictures of the planets on the signs, but time was crunched that day and they didn't get made.  In fact, I was happier to have the names, as it was much easier for us to read from far away.



From the sun, looking back.  If you look very closely, you can see a white paper in the woods.



Here, let me zoom that in for you!  That's Quintin and Neptune!

We finished the chapter with a poster of the planets.  (I took these pictures with the camera in the laptop.)




Each planet has a paper with the planet name, how many moons and rings, as well as the number of days or years it takes for that planet to travel around the sun.  The scale of planets is off, I know, but the hands on work in this chapter has helped retain so much of the info.  A very fun chapter for us all.

Currently, we are working on the body systems.  Hoping for a fixed camera to make its way home soon so I can share what we're learning!
post signature

3 comments:

Susan said...

What a fun way to learn. Picturing it in their minds will stay with them so much better than just facts and words.
Susan

Just Mom said...

ROFL that you actually used the camera in your laptop to capture the moments. It's exactly what I would have done. :-D

Can't wait to see more.

Tara O said...

OHHH how fun! Great pictures.