November 17, 2009

Fall Break ... part 2

We set sail on the Disney Wonder late Sunday afternoon.  This was the first cruise for T and me - so it was truly an exciting time for our family of 5.


(Yes, Elle was crying - did I mention we were up at 3am Sunday morning???)

The 4-night Bahamian cruise took us to Nassau, Bahamas early Monday morning, in fact, our family was enjoying a buffet in one of the main restaurants.  This restaurant featured nice, large porthole windows.  While eating, we were able to watch as the boat pulled into our first destination.  Beautiful blue water caught my attention as the children excitedly shouted, "Land ho!!!"

We finished breakfast and planned to venture onto Nasssu for a short time.  We'd heard how wonderful the Atlantis hotel was to view, but we really didn't want to venture all over the place with 3 young children when we had a boat full of fun activities.  While waiting as the Bahamian officials reviewed paperwork, we chatted with a woman of some rank, wearing a white sailing suit.  She pointed out the famous "Straw Market" and we decided we'd head that way.




The Straw Market was a flea/street market with sellers willing to weave straw into anything and everything.  The older children both found necklaces they liked and Elle got a Hello Kitty purse with "Bahamas" on the back and "Elle" in pink straw.  Unfortunately, our camera broke or I'd share pictures of those. :( 



Items are not priced and it leaves you with the opportunity to barter - not somehing I'm real great at, and we probably got ripped off anyway, but that's what memories are made of!  HAHA

We enjoyed the buildings in Nassua as they reminded us of Bermuda (we went there in '01).




It was tempting to walk in all the stores advertising their diamonds, but I resisted!!

Before heading back to the ship, we had one last stop. 

Just 3 simple braids on each side of Elle's face.  I can't believe I didn't take a picture right after she was finished!!  I have a good one of her that I'll share later this week.

We headed back to the ship because Quintin had seen  "Ratatouille's Cooking School" listed in the Oceaneer Club's list of activities.  He not only made some new friends, he also made chocolate chip cookies! Sign me up! ;)  We took Colin and Elle up to the pool which is where we caught up with Mickey and Pluto.

I walked around the top deck of the ship just enjoying the amazing views and feeling the need to pinch myself because I really was in the Bahamas!  The hotel below, is the Atlantis.





After supper, the children and I enjoyed "Toy Story: The Musical" while T enjoyed Monday Night Football on the gigantic screen on the top deck.

Then it was off to bed as the ship sailed towards our next adventure.
post signature

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That water looks wonderful! I'm curious to know if you hit the beach at all or if you stuck to the ship pools with the little munchkins.

I'm not sure I'm a boat/ship person, but I know I'm an ocean person!

Susan said...

So beautiful, exciting and fun for ALL of you.
Susan

Tracy said...

As beautiful and fun as that looks...I am scared to death to board a HUGE ship like that on HUGE water like that. :(

weavermom said...

Fun, fun!! The water is so beautiful!

michelle said...

Such fun!! It made me so excited for our FL adventure coming up soon. We too will be enjoying a cruise for my parents 50th wedding anniversary however Mickey and Minnie will not be joining us. Enjoy!!

Lynn said...

Awesome, LA!!! That water looks just beautiful. What a wonderful way to celebrate. Can't wait for more!

Just Mom said...

Gorgeous! Maybe we will have to set something up for a couple of years down the road.

:-D


btw ... Monday Night Football??? LOL!

... said...

i'd be pinching myself, too. it all looks so beautiful. a real treat for everyone, i'm sure.