June 3, 2008

*Un*important Things Become Important

Many of you left questions in your comments on my Unimportant things post that I just felt I needed to answer them....see, I really am wordy!

First, I want to clarify that my stomach was growLing - not growing. As far as I am aware, my doctor did her job!! (tmi? sorry!)

As I've just hit the 4 week mark of being detoxed of Pepsi, I'll try to explain why.

Um, well....did you know that stuff really isn't that good for you? ;-)

Seriously, I wanted to change some of my poorer dietary choices, and felt it was something that could go. I don't even miss it. Actually, I think if I took a drink of Diet Pepsi now, I'd just taste all the chemicals in it.

I kept telling myself I needed the caffeine, but I really don't. I was feeling sluggish the first week and a half, but I think that was in part to my body adjusting to the lack of sugar dietary changes.

So, *I* would say it is going well without the Pepsi - you might get a different answer if you ask T or my kids - HAHA!

I've even started walking again in the mornings and that has actually given me more energy for my day. My walking time has become a perfect time to have my devotions too. I take a book with short devotionals and my prayer cards and I go to town.

So, here are the stats as of today:
4 weeks and 2 days without Pepsi (or any soda for that matter)
4 weeks and 2 days since changing my dietary habits
3 weeks and 2 days that I've been walking each morning. I started doing 2 1/2 miles and then went to 3 and now I'm up to almost 4 1/2 miles a day! WAHOOOOOO

Saving the best for last...

4 weeks and 2 days = 14 lbs less of Momma Roar!!!!!!!!! JAKERS! That is awesome! (I'm allowed to be proud on my blog, right? Or is that considered a faux paux?)

Now, onto the tea/coffee issue. You coffee drinkers, just settle down already!

I discovered the not-so-nice-throat-swelling due to tea when making meadow tea. Meadow tea is made from mint leaves which my parents had a bunch of and wanted to clear out. I took some knowing it was one of T's favorite drinks. I typically don't drink tea or coffee, but never really knew why (other than I think coffee smells awful - Be Quiet you coffee drinkers you!).

But after I made the meadow tea, it smelled so good. I took a few sips and my throat started to feel really tight. I was on the phone with my mom and told her. In her motherly wisdom, she told me to stop drinking it!! Aaaaahhhhh, yes! That solved the problem! So, no tea, no coffee, not even Pepsi....I just drink water - please don't bother to tell me how dull I am, I already know!

Did I miss anything?

post signature

18 comments:

Tracy said...

Oh! Congratulations to you, Leigh Ann! You are allowed to be proud! That's awesome!

Susan said...

Great job, Leigh Ann! Glad to know that things are going so well for you. I'm upping my workout routine this Summer and hoping for some more weight loss as well. Not sure I can totally give up the Diet Coke though.

Hugs,

susan

Monica said...

Way to go Leigh Ann! 14 lb in 4 weeks, that is awesome! (must say I'm a little jealous too) Keep up the great work!

Lynn said...

You are too cute! Well written post. I gotta tell you...I read the "my stomach is growling" line more than once to make sure I read it right. :o)

Congrats on sticking to your healthy choices and on your weight loss!

weavermom said...

Awesome - I need to lose 14lbs. Just... need.... motivation. :)

Andrea said...

Amazing what just taking the junk out of your life can do, huh? And really, we don't even need to do more than walking either - just keep moving that body! It took me 6 weeks to lose that much - your progress is great and such an encouragement! I think I need to buckle down again too and start walking again.
You're right about the diet drinks - they really do taste like chemicals after you've been away from them (same seems to go for other junk as well). What a great job you've done!
Andrea

Tammy said...

Super job, Leigh Ann! You have every right to be proud of all this! You are truly inspiring me!

Short Stop said...

TMI?...LOL!

You should be SO proud of that weight loss! Every mom on the planet knows what an accomplishment that is!

The coffee/tea issue: If I couldn't drink them, I could stop paying someone's annual salary at Star.bucks.

... said...

wow! 14 pounds! congratulations. and up to 4 1/2 miles. that's amazing. i get bored after 2 so that's about my limit. keep up the good work, girl.

Tracy said...

Congrats on all your choices and hard work.

I just like Pepsi too much. I don't have enough willpower to stop. I just can't.

For now anyway...

:)

Heidi Jo Comes said...

first of all, if i dropped 14 pounds, i'd be posting before and after photos...i'm just saying. or a vlog perhaps?

you mentioned no soda, coffee or tea...only water---no margarita's, ever?

Just Mom said...

Number of years Just Mom has gone without Pepsi: 39.

There must have been times at a restaurant when all there was to drink was Pepsi and Pepsi products.

btw ... Weigh to go on the weight loss. I'm down 7 pounds -- and I drink all the coffee, tea, Diet Coke and margaritas I want.

Anonymous said...

So proud of you for getting that rotten Pepsi out of your life. I did the same with Coke many years ago and never regretted it. I do drink one now and then in a restaurant, but never have it in the house. I don't miss it.

Woohoo on the weight loss. I'm still holding at 10, but not trying too hard either. My stomach WAS growing and thus the need to get rid of a few extra pounds. I could afford another 20, but that's another story.

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

Congrats...those are big life changes to make and you are doing very well!

Sandy said...

You are doing a great job! WOO HOO!

Amy said...

BE PROUD! You have achieved some amazing things! I need to join the bandwagon...

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Oh LA...are you still allowed Cracker Barrel or Ruby Tuesdays...maybe in Aug? ;)

Go you - you inspire me!

I'm with SS...but I am paying the salaries at pan.era for a big ole cup to tour the mall with :)

Shirley said...

Great job, LA!! I am proud of you, too!
You've got me thinking about that cup-o-joe I have every morning ... this would be an ideal time to quit because it is so blasting HOT! ... still not sure what to do with my caffeine-addict-induced headache, though...
Shirley