My maternal grandmother is 90 years young today!
This is her holding Colin last summer! Her name is Margaret (and she goes by Mike). She lives by herself, in a second floor apartment!!
My memories include staying at her house during our summer vacations. Watching Love Boat and Wheel of Fortune (still a favorite of mine!) We'd sleep with the windows open and I always remember the smell of roasted peanuts coming in the windows - whenever I smell them now, I think of her.
In her younger days, she worked as a seamstress and a cook. I remember being scared of the room where she sewed because of the dressform (mannequin) that stood in the room.
I remember going to her house and visiting the two sweet older ladies that lived across the street. We weren't related, but we referred to them as our aunts: Aunt Lucy and Aunt Mary.
I remember taking walks into the downtown stores - and it was a special time when I could choose a pair of earrings!
And, it is also my sister's birthday!
Happy Birthday Grandma and Dana!!
Wishing a wonderful weekend to all!!

13 comments:
Ohhhh, Love Boat. I LOVED that show. Sounds like you got your sewing and cooking gifts from your Grandma.
Happy Birthday to your Grandma and sister.
Have a great weekend! :)
What a reason to celebrate! Those are some good genes in your family. My grandmother still lives alone, walks two miles every morning, drives, volunteers, and sews full time. Loved reading your memories.
well, happy birthday to your grandma and sister
90! that's incredible. not a lot of kids have great-grandmothers anymore. i'm sure she's a blessing.
aren't grandma's so amazing? i miss mine terribly sometimes. she had such a way of connecting to my kids, she enjoyed the little things of life just as they did.
"Love Boat soon will be making another run..."
:-D
A Happy, Happy Birthday to both your grandma and your sister.
Happy Birthday to both!!
BTW- I am a Little Debbie's- Nutty Bar fan!!!
How wonderful to have this connection and that she is still in a second floor apt!
My mother's parents were in their 40's when they had her and both died many years ago...on paternal side...only my grandmother was alive and she died 12 years ago.
So cherish the link and give the kids many opportunities to spend time with them, so they will have actual memories to go with the photos.
Oh, happy birthday to your grandma! What wonderful memories you have!
And guess what? My littlest is 6 today!!!
Happy Birthday Grandma! And Dana! :) What a wonderful blessing for you to have those memories and your kids too.
Happy Birthday to your grandma and your sister.
Your grandma is amazing to still be living on her own. (as was my grandpa at age 95).
Stopping by to say hello. I've missed you.
Hugs, Lori
HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
What great memories!!
Such nice memories are truly a blessing! Happy Birthday!
Andrea
WOW! Happy Birthday Grandma and sis! (
Post a Comment