October 11, 2007

A Parade...A Parade

Our family enjoyed a parade last night. It is "Farm Show Week" in our little town - most people know these by another name, a fair, but we call it a Farm Show. Its something that brings everyone out - kinda like having lots of mini-high school reunions!

We took our blanket, found a good spot, and settled in for a fun time.

We saw the fire trucks - lots and lots of them.

We watched as all the tractors 'putt-putted' by. And there were lots of them. Apply the concept of 'restoring old cars' to tractors and you've got the main portion of our parade!!

We watched and heard the marching bands.

We saw Jean on her school's float!

We saw the HS cheerleaders, the girls in the Homecoming Court, the little baton twirlers.

We enjoyed watching the float from our church go by.

We laughed.

We cried. (just kidding)

We had a great time.

Would you like to know the best part? We didn't have to walk to the car afterwards (which would have been parked miles away, by the way).

Why?

Because, thanks to our local cable channel, its broadcasted live.




Ah yes, the enjoyment of a parade with all the comforts of home. We especially liked having a potty close by! The only thing we could have used would have been someone to stand next to the television set and toss out candy to us!!!


post signature

39 comments:

Meg said...

If I only watched TV I'd have known!! How cool!! Ah the fun of living here!

Tina said...

LOL!!

First Time Mommy said...

Looks like my kind of parade :)! You'll have to hire someone next year to throw out some candy..he he :)!

Have a great day!!

Erin

weavermom said...

LOL! You definitely need candy - Punkin thinks that is the best part!!

... said...

ah, you cheated. but i'm sure it was much more comfortable and less hectic than going to it. it looks like the boys are REALLY into it but elle, not as much.

Mrs. Breum said...

I'm right there with you, watching from our warm, dry home!! :)

Heidi Jo Comes said...

oh you totally had me going. i was thinking about how cool that was for your kids....you stinker.

did you periodically whip cheap candy at your kids' head, just to give them the full experience?

Just Mom said...

Good ol' cable. It's the only way I've been able to watch the Rose Parade. And the Rose Bowl. And the Super Bowl. And almost every other Bowl known to mankind.

Sounds like you guys had fun.

Pen of Jen said...

How fun! kIDS having a party all at home!

Anonymous said...

LOL, you tricked us! Glad y'all enjoyed the parade!!

Susan said...

Oh wow you had me going on that one.
Susan

Annie said...

How cute! Sounds like a perfect way to watch a parade!

Kerrie said...

If next year you throw candy - it would only be acceptable if you threw it really hard on the ground first. Make sure all the hard candy and suckers are broken before you give them to your children. Then you get to hear them complain about all their free broken candy.

You've just experienced Happy Thoughts - with Kerrie. =) (giggle)

Tracy said...

Yep...you had be going...silly!!

Looks like at least the boys enjoyed the parade. It's a good thing you didn't get any candy...that way your precious children weren't pelted with it.

Short Stop said...

This looks like fun-parade watching to me! Oh, and the kids just look like they're enthralled! SO cute with Q and C on the blanket! :)

Kris said...

Too cute! It's nice to have that option, especially when taking them all out can be a bit much! Good family fun!
K

Lori said...

You are too funny! It is so nice to enjoy that from the comfort of your own home.

Foxy5 said...

As we were walking home from the parade I said to my husband "If only we had cable!" I'm with you... toss some smarties at the kids every once in awhile and you have the full experience... well all the good stuff anyway. Very clever Mommy.

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Where's the funnel cake?

Susan said...

You absolutely crack me up!! I love it that you did this in the comfort of your own home.

Thanks for your comment on my post today...yeah I wish I had a different PE experience, too. The fact is, I think it's so much different today as we teach kids to find the thing they love and MOVE.

Have a great day!

:-) susan

Dena said...

Dude - that's awesome! the candy would have been the icing on the cake - I do LOVE a parade but I love air conditioning and bathrooms even more! too fun!

Anna said...

I think it sounds like a good plan, personally!

(PS-love the chair and ottoman in the pic!)

TO BECOME said...

I really felt it you were there.lol That is my favorite place to watch a parade also. I am sure it was great fun. connie from Texas

Amy said...

What fun! That's my kind of parade! Potty close, free snacks and no long walk to the car, in the dark, with tired kids in tow. Not that I know what that's like ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh, do I wish I would have thought of that when my kids were little. I hate parades!

I went to all of them and pretended to have fun, but hated them.

I really was a great mother.
Bet you believe me don't ya :)

Ruth said...

That's how I feel about watching a football game. I'll take it at home anytime verses the crowd/hassle/germs of a stadium!

Anonymous said...

There's something for you on my blog....

MorningSong said...

No farm smells?? No junk and/or candy from the floats to bring home??? No fighting traffic???

What kind of parade is that??? Sound like the same false advertising we were dooped with by the 'frog festival' we attended. I would get my money back!

:) Can't blame you though - who can beat a personal potty??

Anonymous said...

You are sooo creative. What fun! I'd use your idea if only we had cable.... maybe someday! :)

Kimmy said...

that is such a great idea... too cute! Love a good parade... especially in the comfort of my own home! ~ kim

Tammy said...

Too cute! Love having that potty close by! :D

Also, I just read your post below, and I loved it!
I once studied and planned to be a teacher...never completely finished all of my education but was a preschool teacher for a while so I could so relate...and now I get to teach my own children and see the wonder in their eyes. There is truly nothing like it!

Jill said...

How cool that's it's broadcast on TV. The candy throwing cracked me up.

Heather K said...

great idea Leigh Ann! My kids loved doing that kind of thing when they were small!

Amber said...

having a potty close by and not having to walk miles to your car during a parade....the first thing that pops into my head is what the sweet little ol' church lady (middle aged man) said, "How conveeeeeenient!"

0:) Amber

Beach Girl said...

Yep, the candy tosser would make it complete. :-)

Vanessa

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

LOL!

I love a parade! And you got the best seats! I hear you with the nearby potty thing!

sahmqueen said...

You had me going! My friend in Lancaster Co was going to that. I told her I had a blog friend who lived near her. Small world.

Anonymous said...

Ah, that would be the best way to watch a parade. I used to love them. Now they are much too annoying to me. I think I was cured of my parade watching passion when we lived in MN and they have winter parades that last FOREVER in the below 0 temps. No Thank You!!!

Tara O said...

ROTFLOL......you are hilarious.