June 4, 2007

PA Limestone Quarry




The quarry's open house was last month on the Saturday of Mother's Day weekend. They do an open house like this every 5 years - this year is their 70th anniversary! I finally had a chance to have Poppa Roar with me while I worked through the captions - suprisingly, I knew enough 'quarry lingo' to do most of them on my own, but needed his final approval (I think I even suprised him with my knowledge)! The Open House is a big hi-lite and the employees enjoy putting in the time to make it succesful. You can pick out the employees in the pictures, as they are wearing blue shirts.

(`'•.¸(`'•.¸¸.•'´)¸.•'´)
*:-:¦: Leigh Ann :¦:-:*
(¸.•'`(¸.•'´`'•.¸)`'•.¸)

25 comments:

Susan said...

Very good job on the slide show. Boy, that is a BIG operation.

Love the picture of Q & E standing by the big tire. Did you take all the pictures? I also loved seeing all the Amish people standing in the line.
Susan

Momma Roar said...

I did take all the photos - some were the day of the open house and some the next day, when T could take me around to get some better shots that I couldn't get during the tour. School buses took the guests to two different stations - some of the shots were only able to be taken by driving around. The school buses drove down in the bottom of the quarry but didn't let anyone out - fortunately, I have insider help! ;-)

Sandy said...

Leigh Ann - That is so cool! I have always lived here and have never seen one before! Pretty interesting stuff and you did an excellent job on your captions and descriptions!

Tina said...

Oh my boys would have LOVED that!! Thanks for sharing.

Susan said...

Very interesting. I find that all so fascinating since I live on--SAND! I did a book series on big machines and was blown away by some of them...some of the same ones you show here.

Thanks for sharing.

:-) Susan

Beach Girl said...

That was very cool! You did a great job. Thank you for sharing your "neck of the woods" with us.

Vanessa

Anonymous said...

My dad would love to see this! As you know he was in the gravel business most of his life. He started as a millright (sp) and ended up in the office as a supervisor. It's just in his blood.
Great job on the slide show!

Heather K said...

Hey...Great post Leigh Ann!! I love these kinds of posts....learning new things.... never been to a quarry... don't think there are any in our part of the country....The rocks around your home are so pretty...
great pics and slideshow!
thanks for showing us!
Heather

Ruth said...

I LOVE the stones around your house...so this is where they came from. That was very interesting. I've never seen a quary before.

Sheri said...

Leigh Ann, how interesting! I have never never been to a quarry... but the pictures make me want to go on a tour in the future. Time for a road trip!

Jamie said...

Great slide show!! That would be very cool to tour. You did a good job noting your pictures. :)

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

That's pretty cool! I love the landscaping done around your house with the rocks...very nice. Thanks for sharing this with us, very interesting.

Just Mom said...

Wow! It was as if I was reading "The Dangerous Book for Boys." :-D

I had no idea all that work went in to creating such beautiful material for landscaping. LOVE your rock walls.

Tracy said...

I am in AWE of your slide show. Puts my dad's landscaping business to shame!! HA!

Love the rock around your house!! Oh-and also LOVE the picture of the horse and buggy at the quarry! hehe!

Anonymous said...

Cool pictures and very educational too! :0)

Have a blessed day!

Ghost Girl (aka, Mary Ann) said...

This is so cool! Love the slide show! I bummed I missed the open house. My kids would have loved it. Well...maybe in another 5 years...

But let's not wait that long to get together again :)

Sonya said...

Great job with the pics and captions! Very interesting! I love the rock at your house. It's just beautiful!

Julieann said...

Too Cool, LeighAnn:) Thank you so much for sharing.

Julieann:)

jennifer said...

Real Life Tonkas? My kids would have been in heaven! I bet your kids had a great time. Thanks for the neat slide show.
The quarry looks like NM until I see the green on the sides!

This is a great post!

Elizabeth said...

That is soooo cool! We don't have anything like that out here in CA. It was like a mini-educational manual. You must be a great homeschool mom with tech skills like that!! :0)

Also loved the rocks lining your driveway---how beautiful. I envy how much land you live on!!! What a great place to raise kids. Are you out in the country?

Myrna said...

Very interesting slide show!

The rock work in your yard is beautiful--a great way to use the local natural product!

Lori said...

That was fun to see the slide show on the quarry.
Thanks for sharing all of the interesting facts with us.
Love all your rock landscaping.

I was going to say the picture of Q&E standing by the big tractor shows how big all that equipment is.

Anonymous said...

We missed the quarry open-house, but I learned so much from your slide show. I'll have to show it to E & E. They would love seeing the great photos, especially with Q & E.
Jezz

~ Amy ~ said...

Sooo interesting! I was amazed at how nice and neat everything looked. Is it always that tidy or just for the open house? I'm always amazed at just how BIG the equipment is. Ummm, this is probably a stupid question - does your family own that quarry or just work there?

Momma Roar said...

My hubby says open house is the exception, but they always try to keep things clean and presentable!
My hubby is the youngest of the third generation working at the quarry!
No questions are stupid Amy - I'm glad you asked. :)