November 10, 2010

Works for Me Wednesday!

Every November, we like to do a Thankful Tree in our house, writing out our blessings daily and thanking God for them.  (Link to last year's tree and painting our leaves)

Last year, we took the time and painted leaves.  It was a messy process and something I didn't want to do every year.  I liked our leaves and wanted to preserve them, so I took them into a local education store and had them laminated - I went on Tuesday, the day lamination is 20% off!

It took a while to cut them all out, but now we have them to use every year.  You can write on them with a dry erase marker (which can smudge off easily) or a Sharpie pen.  We used a Sharpie pen.  Last year, when we took our tree down, I resisted the urge to clean off the leaves and I'm so glad I did.

As we pulled out our leaves to start this year's tree, we took the time to read over what we had been thankful for last year.  One of my favorites: "New teeth!"

While you make think Sharpie is impossible to remove, all you need is nail polish remover and some cotton balls.  It breaks down the ink and wipes away.


Here's this year's Thankful Tree!  We recreate the tree every year, just drawing it on brown mail packaging paper from the grocery store.  And that works for us!



To see more, Works for Me Wednesday posts, visit We are THAT Family.
post signature

4 comments:

Just Mom said...

I'm thankful you posted this again. :-D

Anonymous said...

Makes me want little kids again. There is still a teacher within me waiting to get out.

Heidi Jo Comes said...

very nice idea! i think i may try a variation of it, with some real branches, and have the kids hang them on with yarn---- better get crackin'!

Mari said...

What a great idea! I'm like Ginger - when I see things like this I want little kids again too.