November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving Week Recap!

On Sunday, we hosted my family for Thanksgiving!  A lot of work, but it made the 3 days following (and the days leading up to Thanksgiving Day) very relaxing and restful!  And, for Thanksgiving day, we were with T's side of the family - which was also restful as I wasn't the one preparing the food!

***

Back in June, I decided to start running/exercising and to change our eating habits.  In the process, I became a stronger runner and started losing weight.

Q's piano teacher (and very good friend) told me about a 5k run on Thanksgiving morning - Sticks and Biscuits 5k, a fundraiser for a local hockey rink/team.  This became my motivation to get up in the early morning hours and continue running/exercising.  (I didn't run every morning, but alternated with workout DVDs)

Yesterday morning Q's piano teacher picked me up and we drove to the hockey rink.  In the cold rain/sleet, we ran the 5k.  Now, I've run 5ks and 5 mile races before children - but this was my first road race in about 7 years! I forgot how much of rush they give me - even when sleet is pelting your ears and face!

My goal was to finish under 30 minutes.  But guess what?  I forgot to look at the race clock when I crossed the finish line.  I got home feeling pretty sure I was under 29 minutes.  I got on the computer and found out T's cousin's wife (who had been there cheering on many of her family members and watching her own son race) had snapped two pictures of me.

I'm pretty in pink!  I was a sprinter on the track team in high school and LOVE to sprint to the finish line - all the while passing people in the process!!!   Its fun to give it that final kick ... and then collapse! ;)




And the second picture she snapped?




So thankful she was there to snap this one!

Before stepping into a much anticipated hot shower, I stepped on the scale and found that I had officially hit the 30 lb mark!  I had been holding my weight steady for the past 2 months and really wanted to lose that last 1.5 lbs to hit 30 - and yesterday it happened!!

I don't expect that you ran a 5k for Thanksgiving, but I hope that you had a wonderful day!  And yes, I realize I'm one of the few that think running is FUN!!

Now, where's that apple cake!?!?  ;-D

post signature

11 comments:

Just Mom said...

See LA run. Run, LA, run! ;-D


(Sorry. JS has been reading to me again. :-D )


"Weigh" to go, my friend! It's the motivation I need to stop maintaining, and start losing again!


:-D

angie128 said...

Oh wow wow wow wow!

First, huge wowies on your super duper fast 5k! Woot!

Then..30 pounds!?!?! Sweet mercy. I'm pretty sure I gained that much yesterday.

Pass the potatoes...

Congrats!!

Kari said...

Great job!

All that weight you've lost...yeah I've found it for you... Thanks a lot. ;)

Maybe next year by this time, I'll have lost some of it too.

Mari said...

Hooray for you! I'm impressed with that time. Our daughter did a 5K yesterday too - it was called the Turkey Trot!

Monica said...

That is awesome LA! Congrats on the race time and hitting that weight loss goal =)

Anonymous said...

I am so stinkin' proud of you! I wish I could just walk the block. You are amazing! Way to go on the 30lbs. I'm still holding at 22, but hope to kick it in again after the holidays with the wedding as my goal.

I can't even begin to imagine doing a race. You need to pat yourself on your back girl!

weavermom said...

Congratulations!!!!!! On the time and the 30lbs!!

Tracy said...

I'm so proud of you, and I know how proud you must feel of yourself!

A very impressive time, and a very impressive weight loss. Congratulations, Leigh Ann!

michelle said...

Well done!! I'm thinking about doing a 5K at Valentine's day...you've given me some motivation. I also used to competitvely run but it has been a LOOONg time since those days.

Tracy said...

Congratulations on the run and the weight loss!!

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Rock on! My first 5K was 34:06...you GO GIRL! I want the "after" pics of those 30 lbs...maybe one day I'll meet ya for an unhealthy cracker barrel meal and we'll celebrate our new sizes :)

Maybe this will motivate me to exercise in addition to the better eating :)