September 13, 2010

It's gone to the birds!

The kids have been pretty excited to study birds in school this month.  Last week, they were even more excited when I mentioned the word, "Crafts!"

Photobucket


With a 2-liter bottle, some bird seed and one of these doo-dads, we made a bird feeder to hang!

Photobucket



Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


We've been studying birds as we look at the states and what their state birds are.  Last week we studied the robin.  So we made a robin's nest.

Photobucket


- "grass" - 2 Shredded wheat biscuits
- "twigs" - 1 c chow mein noodles
- "mud" - 1 c peanut butter
- "mud" - 1 c semi sweet chocolate chips
- "eggs" - jelly beans

Melt the mud together and then stir in twigs and grass.  Place 4 globs on wax paper lined cookie sheet and mold into nests.  Once they harden, add eggs.

Photobucket


While they were cute, the nests weren't a big hit - but the jelly beans were!

Photobucket


I love this curriculum for my kiddos! 
post signature

7 comments:

Susan said...

You are such a great Mom AND teacher. I would have loved being taught by you!!!!

Sara Smile said...

We tried that with shredded wheat cereal at Easter and used malted robin's Eggs. Holy sugar rush, Batman! :-)

Anonymous said...

You are AMAZING!!!!

Mari said...

You make learning so much fun!

Lisa H said...

How fun! I can't see the pictures for some reason, but I can picture it from your description! :)

We are absolutely loving MFW too. Switching to that has been the best schooling decision we've ever made (second only to homeschooling instead of public!).

Cherdecor said...

I am afraid I would gain weight on that curriculum! Hahahaha!

Hey! Are you going to Relevant at Hershey in October? I would like to but my dentist is spoiling my fun right now.

Just Mom said...

Suh-weet! Or should that be, "Tuh-weet!" ;-D