March 18, 2010

March Madness! A ball and a bucket!

One of the people I remember learning about in college was a PE teacher named James Naismith.  He took a couple of ordinary items, and turned them into a game, that 118 years later, has grown to become one of the world's most popular sports.

At Springfield YMCA, Naismith struggled with a rowdy class which was confined to indoor games throughout the harsh New England winter and thus was perpetually short-tempered. Under orders from Dr. Luther Gulick, head of Springfield YMCA Physical Education, Naismith was given 14 days to create an indoor game that would provide an "athletic distraction." Dr. Gulick demanded that it would not take up much room, could help its track athletes to keep in shape and explicitly emphasized to "make it fair for all players and not too rough."
This game started with a peach basket, attached to a wall.  (picture and above quote taken from wikipedia)


The story of this teacher has always challenged me to make things new and exciting out of the ordinary.  I didn't spend my 4 years teaching in a wealthy school district.  I was in an inner city school that needed to spend what funds it had on reading, 'riting, 'rithmetic.  Extra funds weren't available for me to purchase the newest equipment that I drooled over in the PE supply catalogs.  I searched for ways to make my own equipment with things I already had.  I wadded grocery bags into grocery bags and wrapped them up with duct tape to create a soft ball for the younger ages to catch and for the older kids to use as a hockey puck. 

I used wire coat hangers, knee-high stockings, and more duct tape, to make paddles for the younger elementary students to use to hit balloons.

Naismith challenged me to think outside of the box in my PE classes.

I was further challenged to think outside of the box (in a more formal classroom setting) by watching the teachers in our school.  I walked into a 3rd grade class one morning, during writing time, and noticed the kids were scattered all over the room.  Observing the children, I saw them laying on the floor, some had their feet up on their desks.  Another student was sitting at the window, writing.  In an instant, I realized these kids were at their most creative, when they were allowed to choose where they would do their work.  They didn't need to be confined to their seats/desks.  They were given a choice - which inspired their creativity.

I never realized, with my training in teaching, that 13 years after graduating from college, I would be homeschooling my children.  It has been and continues to be a privilege to teach them.  And, to the best of my God-given abilities, I try to teach them using methods that keep me thinking outside of the box, as well as them.

Lately, our son has taken to basketball, but we don't have a basketball net.  He's been asking for one for his birthday - which isn't until June. 

Earlier this week, in his eagerness to play, I discovered this.





May he continue to develop that creativity
and to keep thinking outside of the box basket.
post signature

5 comments:

Brenda said...

That is so neat! I love it when our kiddos catch on.

Anonymous said...

Amazing mothers produce outstanding and amazing kids!

Great job LA!

Just Mom said...

I LOVE IT!


Did you cut out the bottom of the bucket so the ball can fall through? :-D

Susan said...

LOVE love love his creativity! You're right, when we let kids choose some things about their learning, they can give and achieve so much! Thanks for the reminder.

Lynn said...

You've always been good at creative thinking. Great idea!