But I remember in high school, my parents were going out for supper and I was staying home alone. They were grabbing take-out for me from the local pizza joint on our town's square. For some unknown reason, I asked them to order me a small pizza with onions.
I loved it.
Why did I order onions on my pizza? I haven't a clue, but I wish I did...it would probably make for a better story.
Anyway, I do not shy away from onions as I once did when I was younger....however, I'm sure the effects of this food passion cause some to shy away from me....where was I?
This weekend we celebrated Easter with my hubby's family on Good Friday. His mother is a wonderful cook and she enjoys trying out new recipes on us every now and then. I hit gold this past Friday when she served a baked onion and cheese dip. E.X.C.E.L.L.E.N.T.
We celebrated with my family at our home on Sunday. I was debating between a good friend's spinach artichoke dip and the onion dip. I went bold...I went for the onions. It was a hit - I think - I was too busy devouring my food to notice if anyone else cared for it or not!
I served this dip in the evening after having our bigger meal at noon. Along with the dip, we had some homemade Mac 'n' Cheese, rolls and various lunchmeats, chips...you know the drill. I decided a fresh tossed salad would round out the meal nicely.
Upon planning the meal, my mind (or my stomach, perhaps) immediately went to the tossed salad dressing recipe in our church's cookbook (the one with the yellow cover, for those locals who may be reading).
What makes this salad dressing spectacular? First, the sweetness of the sugar...and then, it is all about the onions!
So maybe it wasn't in the best interest to provide my loved ones with three cups of chopped sweet onions or even the five cups of cheese between the dip and Mac 'n' Cheese in one sitting. But it was all good and they know I love them. But, if they were complaining, I didn't hear it over the sound of my lips smacking all the gooey-cheesy-oniony-goodness!
Interested in these recipes? Of course you are! You can find them on my cooking blog.
Baked Onion and Cheese Dip
Tossed Salad Dressing
8 comments:
sorry... i'm not an onion fan. i can take them if they're cooked into a dish, but i don't like them raw or even crunchy in my food.
sounds like your Easter was a nice one, from a food standpoint anyways =)
I hope you served breath mints. ;-D
Both sound delicious.
I can do onions in things and roasted I find scrumptous however raw or alone they aren't my cup of tea.
Your recipes sound yummy!
Now I'm hungry.... ;)
you are becoming quite the chef!
DROOL.
I'm not normally an onion fan but I may have to try that dip!
Didn't see the recipe for the homemade Mac 'n' Cheese..... Would love your recipe for that!!
I wish I could eat onions.
Post a Comment